Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

What's your current signature scent, and has it changed over the years?

What's your current signature fragrance? How does it make you feel? I feel like most of us have taste that changes as we age, so most people don't have permanent signature fragrances. What was/were your previous signature fragrances? Why did you stop wearing them? How do you feel when you smell them now?

For many, scent is strongly tied to memory. If you wore a specific perfume during a certain period in your life, it can bring you back. Sometimes the memories are pleasant, and sometimes they aren't. Once a lady told me she wore Marc Jacobs Daisy while working a miserable job she hated, and years down the line whenever she smelled it, it brought her back to that job. She grew to loathe the fragrance for that reason. Any interesting stories?

My current signature is Tom Ford Black Orchid. It's the first real perfume I fell in love with. I threw my cheap body spray away and bought myself the biggest bottle, it's been with me since. It's bold, dark, and absolutely lovely.

My mom wears Calvin Klein Obsession, so whenever I smell it, I think of her.

Re: What's your current signature scent, and has it changed over the years?

For the last years, I purchase Tom Ford's Soleil Blanc.  It is the most lovely scent for warm summer days.  Its a little pricy but I save and splurge each summer as a special treat!  

the body shop amorito and sjp lovely were my fave's when I was younger.  though I didn't wear lovely that much, bc it's a bit girly, and I wasn't really, lol.  but if I actually dressed up or was more girly...it was perfect.  I probably wore it to the sex and the city movie, lol.  I liked wearing amorito in the summer, bc it really upped the warm sweetness.  ck in2u and demeter greenhouse were good for my tomboy side.  coach floral was probably the first one I really loved and bought in years.  as soon as I smelled it from the sample in the ulta catalog, I went online and soon ordered it. 🙂

@JoaMWer When I was a pre teen and teenager I was wild about Bath and Body Works scents, then I started to like more floral and fruity scents as I became an adult.  Nowadays I like anything that smells good.  My go to are MAC Turquatic and Victoria's Secret Bombshell line.  Those scents never let me down.

RE: What's your current signature scent, and has it changed over the years?

I stick with vanilla scents. My signature has been Black Opium for the last 4 years but I just switched too Artelier Cologne vanille intense. It smells like magic 💕

YSL Black Opium, been my go to for 3 years now. Used to love very fruity and soft scents.

My favorite is Dior J'adore but recently I've tried Versace Dylan Blue Pour Femme and have been alternating their use.

Mine is Chanel allure, I have a ton of perfumes I switch it up with but always come back to this one!

I remember thinking that Channel No. 5 was the epitome of class.  I got a bottle one Christmas in my teens and treasured it for years.  It became my 'special' perfume from high school through college.  My daily perfume in highschool/college was Clinique Happy.  Since then I've gone through a number of favourites and a number of perfumes that I just enjoy.  For a spell in my late 20's I was all about Pink Sugar.  The man I was dating at the time told me that I always smelled like Cotton Candy and he loved it.  Funny enough, an ex from my 30's always said I always smelled good enough that he wanted to lick me (I tend to go for gourmand fragrances in my bath products). 

I'd say that over the last 5 years my fragrance loves have grown a lot in maturity/variety. I went through three or four bottles of MM Beach Walk until I discovered my love for Elizabeth and James French Grey.  Thanks to @itsfi I have a big bottle that I treasure.  This is more of a winter/fall fragrance for me, and lately I've been enjoying my MM Sailing Day, or SDJ BumBum Body Mist (dang perfume is trapped in the US lol). 

Ohhhhhh I once bought a cologne for a boyfriend in my early 20's, up until this last year or so when French Grey became my 'darker' fragrance of choice, I used this cologne in the winter. It was called Corduroy by Zirh Intl.  Can't really find it anymore.  I bought a last bottle off of Amazon two years ago.  I don't want to finish the bottle.  

Thanks for this thread, you've got me thinking about all my fragrances again.  I need to get into stores to get some more sniffing done lol @JoaMWer 

@missjeanie Love these memories 🙂

Perfumes are always being reformulated so I always figure my current bottle could be my last. Corduroy sounds really good from the reviews! Maybe try eBay?

I really do associate my fragrances at the time to memories and time lines in my life @pocketvenus Its nice to travel down memory lane like this again.  I just kept coming up with more and more.  I think I go for a scent for a few years then move on.  But my fragrance journey the last couple of years has had so many newcomers! 

I've bought a few random bottles of Corduroy off of Amazon and one off of E bay.  But they seem to fewer and fewer around.  I certainly have other fragrances that can take on that role in my life, but it's the memories... I still have most of a big bottle left, I just savour it now that I know it could be the last.  It's sad to see them come and go so quickly lately!

@missjeanie Yes, savour it!! <333

My mom had a gigantic bottle of Chanel 5 when I was a little girl. She took it out every special occasion and sprayed on us. So yes, I detect it years and years later whenever someone wears it without owning one myself 😂🤣

@blackkitty2014 it's so classic 🙂

@JoaMWer Hello! I don' t have any cool stories but my signature scent is Theirry Mugler Alien and Tokyo Milk Tainted Love together. I don't wear it much anymore because I have a bunch of samples I'm trying to get through.

@Samtian Alien is already commanding, Alien + Tainted Love is like boss queen level 😛

@pocketvenus Haha thank you! That combo is the only scent I've had people stop in their tracks to smell and tell me I smell good haha.

@Samtian Love it!!

That's a bold combo, I like it!

@JoaMWer Thank you! I love it.

@JoaMWer Black Orchid is definitely one that stands out in my memory. It was just so different from all the girly fruity florals or prim florals out there. It was so forward and unique, and I remember being shocked by that first blast with its weird cucumber thing going on. These days, now that niche has exploded, Black Orchid strikes me as historical, a scent from an older time rather than something novel, something at the forefront of a sea change to come. I still like smelling it on the street, like running into an old friend. I also like it on men even though it's marketed as a woman's fragrance. My most recent memory of it was walking by a well-heeled man in a suit coming out of a bar, just doused in the stuff. He had great posture, walked like a diva. It was utterly perfect on him.

I don't really have a signature scent. Whenever people ask I always mention what I've been wearing recently. I find my tastes have changed over time. I don't have a signature but some that I return to a lot are

• Frederic Malle's Bois d'Orage
  • Papillon's Salome
  • Amouage's Jubilation 25 and its inspiration, Rochas' Femme
  • L'Artisan Parfumeur's Dzongkha
  • Comme des Garcons' Original, Kyoto
  • Hermes' Bel Ami
  • Etat Libre d'Orange's Fat Electrician
  • Tauer's Lonestar Memories
  • Kurkdjian's Absolue Pour Le Soir
  • Dusita's Sillage Blanc
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies