Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

What fragrances do you remember from your childhood the most?

375x500.9148.jpg

MV5BNmU5N2NiYzctNWNlNS00NzdlLWE5ZGUtM2Q2MzI4NjE0NDZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM0MzAyNTU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I also remember Verve, Tabu, Heaven Scent, Exclamation, Designer Impostor Body Sprays, Giorgio, Liz Claiborne, Eternity, Navy, Charlie, Anise Anise, Love's Baby Soft, Jean Nate, Chantilly, Le Fleur.  Funny how back in the day we often bought fragrances from the drugstore on the cheap!

Re: What fragrances do you remember from your childhood the most?

Thanks for sharing @greeneyedgirl107. Marilyn is certainly an icon. I recognize the bottle in the first picture, but don't recall the name of the perfume. Do you know what it is?

@spotspotcat It's J'adore by Dior.  Here are some products Marilyn endorsed in her day:

enhanced-27124-1455590307-9

And here is a great link detailing many more, including those done posthumously:

https://www.immortalmarilyn.com/commercializing-marilyn-monroe/

I remember my mom liked Joy.

joy perfum 1968.jpg

And I remember buying Charlie, Giorgio, Opium, Obsession, Poison, and Youth Dew. Though, I'm not sure I would like any of these now.

youth dew.png80s perfume.jpg

@spotspotcat I tried Youth Dew at Ulta and was so disappointed.  It was so heavy and heady.  It's hard to believe it used to be so popular!

I'm feeling a little nostalgic these days..... My mamaw (grandmother) really liked youth dew.  It is oriental and heavy.

I think it was called Dream by Gap. And I can't remember the names of these, but I attached a picture below. I remember these being sold at drugstores as a kid.

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, Dream from Gap was a classic! I remember wearing it to the first day of grade 7, with my cool Gap clothes purchased after babysitting through the summer.

@underwhelmed11 Those Gap fragrances caused such a sensation!  That was back when Gap was big, and none of us were wearing designer clothes.

"Poivre" Atkinson. I bought it at a summer market, with my parents. My childhood, early 90's. This perfume was a must among us young girls. Having it made me feel so special.. 

Great thread @greeneyedgirl107!

For myself, definitely Loves Baby Soft, Charlie, LeSport.  As I got older I always wore Poison (the original).  My mom wore Chanel No. 5 but only when on special occasions.  She was a nurse, so she couldn't wear perfume on a daily.

Spoiler
loves-baby-soft-bottle.jpgCharlie.jpgLeSport.jpgCHANEL_NO_5_EDT_W11.jpg

@AMK721 My mom had Chanel No. 7...apparently they had it for a brief period of time?  I loved the bottle - silver and gold and so chic!

I was addicted to Loves Baby Soft as a tween then graduated to Babe. I was going to a local carnival with my older next door neighbor and she sprayed me with her bottle of Babe. I remember feeling so cool. LOL. I went out the next day and bought a bottle. 🙂

funnnnn.

my mom wore a few, all rather similar (lots of aldehydes, yellow flowers and musk bases): GIVENCHY ysatis, GIVENCHY amarige, NINA RICCI l'air du temps (i'll never forget that bottle), as well as, of course, a bit of CHANEL N.5

the two doves as the cap: a wing was inevitably always broken off by the time she was through with the bottle...the two doves as the cap: a wing was inevitably always broken off by the time she was through with the bottle...

all of my mom's perfumes from this era always instantly make me feel like it's a special occasion. christmas, dance recital, dinner parties.

my mimi wore elizabeth taylor 'white diamonds'. to this day, the smell of white diamonds mixed with ciggy smoke makes me think of her (most fondly).

i had a mini rollerball set of GAP 'dream', 'heaven', 'grass' and 'om'. i remember om being my favorite, but never wearing it because i wanted to save it (at 12, no 'special occasion' ever arose 😉 ). i remember really loving grass. but dream is the one that i still experience proustian moments with--probably because it was the one most popular with my friend group at the time as well--it was everywhere

my set looked like this ! thanks google ! (but i definitely had grass and not 'just petals')my set looked like this ! thanks google ! (but i definitely had grass and not 'just petals')and, i'd be remiss not to mention bbw body splashes. i remember i was given country apple but that juniper breeze was my favorite. if i can ever get my nose back on those i would be able to remember which friend wore what (plumeria and freesia being very popular). i remember when cucumber melon launched and how it changed the game forever--i still think of that one as new !

@jemly My mom had L'Aur Du Temps - I never knew what it was called until now - thanks!  My mom eventually only bought fragrances that had unique bottles, like that one and Versace Bright Crystal.  And one of the wings was broken on hers, too!  It was L'Aur Du Temps that my sister sprayed on my mom when she was at end of life; I had to bite my tongue to keep from chastising my sister that she shouldn't spray it into an open tracheostomy site.  (I know this is weird, but it's better to laugh!)

BBW just had a bunch of their 90s body sprays for sale during the semi-annual this summer.  I picked up Plumeria but it didn't smell the same.  I used to love their scents - the ones you mentioned, and Flowering Herbs, Happy Daisy (LE), Vanilla Mist (none of their vanilla scents of recent years come close), and there was a lilac one that was heavenly (LE).  I remember all the girls in school having their set scents!

BTW, I loved your association with White Diamonds and cigarettes - so true for so many of us!

None of the women in my life really wore perfume when I was growing up, but I remember my mom had this bottle of Lancôme's Tresor for probably almost a decade. She would hardly use it because she considered it as a more luxury gift from a family member. I remember seeing it as a toddler and she even brought it to the US lol 

Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds... my grandma used to wear it.

Also, Design, which my mom used to wear all the time but I HATED lol.

@malday Design was one of my first "higher end" aka bought at Macy's perfumes. It actually mixed with my chemistry very nicely and I received a lot of compliments on it.  I can't remember why I stopped wearing it but I remember when I tried it again, it didn't smell "right" on me anymore. Has anyone else ever had that happen?

@malday Yes!  I distinctly remember the brands my mother wore (from Shalimar to Joy and everything in between) but never care for them.  

Back when my  mom was heavy into Shalimar, a co-worker wrote to Anne Landers about my mom and complained about the over-powering smell and that she was a smoker.  Landers wrote back that what my mom was doing was completely unacceptable; she suggested that the co-worker clip the article and give it to my mom.  The co-worker taped the column on my mom's door for everyone to see.  My mom was embarrassed but also angry.  Her solution?  She started wearing more Shalimar!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos22
  • the two doves as the cap: a wing was inevitably always broken off by the time she was through with the bottle...
  • my set looked like this ! thanks google ! (but i definitely had grass and not 'just petals')
  • loves-baby-soft-bottle.jpg
  • Charlie.jpg
  • LeSport.jpg
  • CHANEL_NO_5_EDT_W11.jpg
  • hqdefault.jpg
  • joy perfum 1968.jpg
  • youth dew.png
  • 80s perfume.jpg
  • IMG_3309.JPG
  • IMG_3310.JPG
  • so j.crew
  • missd1