Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

I thought today would be a good day to review a perfume sample. Part of The Maker Maker Perfume Discovery Kit The Maker Paradiso Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz / 50 mL eau de parfum spray  Oh gosh this is the most disgusting thing I've smelled in a long while. Thankfully the sample was mostly evaporated but I sprayed as much as I could...before the smell hit me. Wet patchouli. Horrible 0/5. I still smell it 7 hours later.

image.jpg

image.jpg

These are so cute 🥰 @kittycatgirl 

I was gifted the The Maker Maker Perfume Discovery Kit and granted most of them have arrived mostly evaporated. I was able to get three sprays from The Maker Stag Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz / 50 mL eau de parfum spray I didn't think I would like it at all based on the notes. But it's a winner, big winner.

5/5- Stag opens with a bold declaration of smoky leather, immediately drawing you into its enchanting realm. As the journey progresses, a mesmerizing blend of woods emerges, captivating the senses with its hypnotic allure. What truly sets Stag apart is its intoxicating agarwood note, lingering gracefully into the dry down, leaving a lasting impression that defies time itself. Remarkably, its wear time extends well beyond 14 hours, a testament to its enduring quality. Surprisingly, despite initial skepticism based on its notes, Stag emerges as a perfect 10, a fragrance I would wholeheartedly gift to a significant other. In every essence, Stag is not just a scent, but an unforgettable experience.

@Samtian I'll have to revisit Stag. I think it was a bit masculine for me but since I'm playing around with mixes I'll have to add it to the rotation.

@Margalee It's definitely masculine but mmm I love it. 

This sounds great, @Samtian !  I'll have to give it a try. 🙂

@Titian06 Definitely! 

That’s a great review, @Samtian! Stag sounds amazing!

@curlychiquita It is, I'm blown away. I sprayed it at noon yesterday and I can still faintly detect it. 

A couple of perfumes for this month-

Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Under the Lemon Trees 

4/5- Under the Lemon Trees opens with a sharp, chemical lemon and rosy scent that fades into a refreshing citrus musk with subtle tea undertones. Eventually, it settles into a delicate powdery citrus aroma. I really loved this one, unfortunately it was very faded after 4 hours.

GUERLAIN Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic Eau de Toilette 2.5 oz / 75 mL 

3/5- This fragrance opens with an intense burst of sharp green and powdery citrus notes, which gradually soften as it dries down. Emerging next are hints of green tea, orange blossoms, and cedarwood, adding depth and complexity. Finally, it settles into predominantly basil notes with a subtle hint of cedar, lasting an impressive nine hours.

My mini of the month is the Jo Malone Oak + Hazelnut.

Not my pictureNot my picture

3/5- At first I didn't like this at all. I would spray it and go to work. So what I initially smelled was the first part and it was bad. The Oak and Hazelnut perfume opens with an intense very intense blend of nut, oak, and alcohol.  The alcohol note fades quickly, giving way to the emergence of vetiver and another intriguing element I can't place. As time progresses, a delightful smoky woodiness, later identified as roasted oak, and elemisurface. While the fragrance evolves beautifully, the wear time is moderate, lasting less than 5 hours. Had I not tested this out and just went off the initial smell I would have tossed this. It's still a really strong scent. 

I’ve been doing the capsule makeup challenge, and have decided to incorporate a fragrance as well for each week. I’m trying to shop my stash, but also go through some testers. This week, i decided to use The Good Scent - Manifest Your Future, it was a random blind buy at Marshalls (a set with a mini perfume and a travel spray was only $14.99). To be honest, im not that impressed. It smells like apple juice to me, with a slightly gourmand caramel note in the dry down. I would honestly like it more if there was any lasting power to it.. i only get the caramel note for 15 mins before it dissipates. Ill try to finish the mini 10ml bottle ive been using, probably more as a body spray before the gym than an actual perfume, but I probably will pass the travel spray to a younger relative who may use it more.

has anyone had any luck with The Good Scent? I’ve been seeing it all over my local Winners/Marshalls, but this one doesn’t make me really interested in trying any others from the line, unless one comes recommended. The bottle ad the price point are very good though, so i will give it that!

@cianni I haven't heard of it before. The bottle is pretty! I like most of the notes but the sage and coconut milk would stop me from trying it. 

@Samtian I don’t get a lot of sage from it personally, but it’s not special enough that id recommend it anyways. The bottle is indeed cute though haha, it looks pretty on my vanity, so for the price its not bad as decor either!

My January travel perfume is Victoria Secret Dark Angel. I didn't realize they don't make this one anymore. 

Not my photoNot my photo

2/5-Victoria's Secret Dark Angel is a fragrance with a mysterious and indescribable initial impression. As it dries down, floral caramel notes with a subtle hint of mango emerge, followed by a slight coffee note after 5 minutes. At around the 14-minute mark, it transforms into a super super intense blend of coffee and caramel, leaving a lasting impression for 10 hours.

So there was a surprise twist to that Diptyque eau de Sens (hair mist) mixed with Aerin Evening Rose. There is a distinct reminiscence of Ellis Brooklyn Raven there. More powdery, less spicy with a touch of green, but definitely reminiscent of EB Raven. Very surprised at the outcome. Very different to me than the Aerin Evening Rose mixed with Banana Republic Vintage Green. The Aerin mixed with BR was a bit muddled. Earth and water puddle kind of blended mix. The Aerin mixed with Diptyque is more fire and air kind of transformative mix. Very interesting. I was worried the Diptyque would overwhelm the Aerin but after a moment there was a definite pushback by the Aerin and the two are now quite different together from their original forms. Also a note that Aerin mixed with BR is the greener smelling fragrance. The green was not snappy, but more like a Hermes Sur le Nil type of green. I should have guessed that beforehand because BR Vintage Green is not a snappy green. It is more laid back like Sur le Nil.

@Margalee I had no idea they had collabs, sounds awesome!

@Samtian they are my secret collabs for me. Hah hah Just having some fun with my perfumes. 

@Margalee That's awesome!

4,022 Replies
testing