Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

@angel7594 - This one sounds nice!

Day 13- Versace bright crystal.I don't really care for this one.

Day 13:  Margaux by Tocca.

Tocca tends to put out a lot more light and flowery type fragrances and this one kind of walks off the beaten Tocca path by being more musky and woodsy than their normal offerings.  There's still floral and powder, but not in an over-powering way that instantly makes me think of those notes.  There's also vanilla, which tends to wrap it all up quite nicely.  

Day 13: ELd'O Remarkable People

My notes - This smells vaguely like a perfume my mom wore in the 90's plus clementines.  The dry down is really nice.  It smells so familiar but I just can't place it!

Real notes - Grapefruit, Champagne Accord, Cardamom, Jasmine, Curry Je, Black Pepper, Labdanum, Sandalwood, Lorenox.

Day 13 - Juliette Has a Gun Vengeance Extreme

This reminds me a lot of Pinrose Pinrose! I'm smelling the dry down now and I keep getting whiffs of Pinrose. They both have rose and vanilla notes but that's about all that's the same. The warmth and spice comes from the clove and ambergris in Pinrose, while the JHaG  must get its warmth from the white musk, ambroxan and Tonka bean. I believe Vengeance Extreme is more musky, and the Pinrose is less complex and more spicy. Either way, I like both. I'm shocked, because when I first got my JHaG sampler, I thought Vengeance Extreme is too strong and old lady like. How my tastes have changed even if I my preferences are still florals!

Mentioned notes: Rose, vanilla, white musk, Tonka bean, ambroxan

Other notes in Vengeance Extreme: Bergamot, lavender, patchouli (I don't detect these 3 at all, but then again, what do I know?), Labdanum

Day 13: DKNY Be Delicious. I think I might be growing up! This smells like exactly the kind of scent I would have loved as a teenager, and I do like it still. Nowadays, I'm into more complex, interesting fragrances. It's kind of like how my taste buds went from enjoying only rosé and Riesling to appreciating syrah. 

Notes:
American Apple, Cucumber, Grapefruit, Candid Magnolia, Tuberose, White Muguet, Rose, Violet, Sandalwood, Tender Skin Accord, Blonde Woods, White Amber.

o.27187.jpg

Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris

This starts off really lovely with a very rich fruity honey scent - like ambrosia or a mead. Really yummy for a few seconds, before turning into an awful stank :/. Some weird sour oud - I get some baby powder too. It is super weird! 

That does dissipate after about an hour before it dries down and really just smells like honey and smokey oud. If you can make it through that first hour, it can be quite enjoyable after lol.

Notes:

Bergamot, honey, oud, patchouli, rose, amber, labdanum, musk, vanilla

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

oooooh, Honey Oud, neeeeeeed!!!!

Day 13:Jo Malone Orris and Sandalwood. I initially thought that it would be too fresh for my liking, but tried it anyway. It wore down to a nice woody scent on me. i like it!

Verdict: Would have to try it a couple more times to see if I would invest in a bottle. If I did go ahead, it would be a small bottle.

Day 13: Jo Malone peony and blush suede

I am not a big fan of floral fragrances,  but sometimes they work for me if there is a more masculine element as well. This one is way too floral,  and instantly gave me a headache. I ended up washing it off as much as I could with in the first hour of putting it on.

I am back!  lol!!  Like a true holiday. What day is it???  lol!!

I  fell off the wagon by wearing my ‘everyday safe-scent’ Florabotanica, but here are some I wore since last posted.

This stuff….I could just pickled myself with it!!!! I love my rose scents! The beguiling lament of the desert. Armani Privé Rose D’arabie showcases the Damask Rose. The bottles are so pretty! I want the entire collection.

PERFUME-9.jpg

TOKYOMILK Tainted Love

This is my DS from the Promo. We have transitioned from the desert to dessert. Ummm, Creme Brûlée!

Notes: Dark Vanilla Bean, Sparkling Citrus, Orchid, White Tea, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean.
Style: Inquisitive. Dramatic. Darling.

PERFUME 10.jpg

Atelier Vetiver Fatal
This one I have to be in the mood for, but when I wear it I enjoy it very much!

Top Notes:  Calabrian bergamot, Sicilian lemon, Bitter orange
Heart Notes: Tunisian orange flower, Violet leaf, Black plum
Base notes: Haitian vetiver, Texan cedarwood, Oud

PERFUME6.jpg

Now I want to try the Armani!

I know you like rose, too.  This one is a lot like JM Rose Oud but  I find JM sweeter.

Armani is just a tad spicier. 

@k617

I also really like Tokyo Milk Dark! Armani's bottles are so pretty 😮

I love all the black bottles!  And, with gold, too!  ;')

Day 12- Nina Ricci luna

Jan 12: Hermes Le Jardin De Monsieur Li EDT sample vial: I think this is for men. Way too spicy for me.

I love this one for spring, right up there with one of my favorite Jo Malone scents, Earl Grey and Cucumber. I feel it is a good unisex cologne but it is definitely not girly.

Oh my, I love that one! That one is on my "to buy" list! I don't think it's masculine at all ( but, not girly, either ). To me it smells fresh and clean. Really like "a garden somewhere between reality and imagination".

It's been 4 days already?! Wow. Time really does fly! I'll try to catch up. It's gonna be a long one. I hope you don't mind.

Day 9: Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensee

Notes:
Lime, Cedrat, Coriander, Jasmine, Vetiver, Oak Moss, Vanilla, Oak Wood, Amber.
Style:
Magical. Evocative. Electric.

I've already worn this one in the challenge. But, I am really liking it, so I decided to give it another go. Something about it is just so irresistible to me. Such an unusual, fantastic, captivating combo of feminine and masculine. Sweet and woody. Truly magical to me. And, this one ( unlike all the other AC fragrances I've tried so far ) actually has pretty good staying power on me.

Day 10: AERIN Ikat Jasmine

Notes:
Tuberose Fleur, Jasmine Sambac, Jasmine Egypt Infusion, Honeysuckle, Tuberose Infusion.
Style:
Fresh. Feminine. Modern.

Jasmine is my weakness. I always end up going for something jasmine. That being said, this one is just meh to me. I was expecting something different. It is not bad. But, nothing special, either. ( It smells soapy to me(?) )

Day 11: Dior Miss Dior Eau de Parfum

Notes:
Italian Mandarin Essence, Egyptian Jasmine Absolute, Indonesian Patchouli Essence.
Style:
Pure. Precious. Elegant.

Now, this one I really like. It's feminine and elegant. Good lasting power. No brainer. 😉

Day 12: Mugler Angel Muse

Fragrance notes: Grapefruit, Pink Peppercorn, Hazelnut Cream, Vetiver, Patchouli.   

Style:

Tantalizing. Delicious. Supremely feminine. 

Now, this is a weird one. One of those you either love or hate ( Hey, it's Mugler after all, huh? All his fragrances are either/or. 😄 ). But, I think I really like it. It wasn't a love at first sniff, though. At first I was pretty confused by this one. Wasn't sure if I hate it or love it. It took some time, but then it suddenly grew on me, and now I am really loving it. Sweet and woody ( noticing a pattern here much? 😉 ), provocative and feminine , truly unexpected. Like all other Mugler fragrances I've tried, it has a very long lasting power. Yum, I definitely want more! 😄

*I am going through my sample stash.

I have Ikat Jasmine and I love it! It does smell slightly soapy, but has a tea quality to it on my skin as well. I really like scents that are simple and remind me of things, the Aerin's one of those kinds of scents!

4,022 Replies
testing