Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Next CHALLENGE is 25 Days of Eyeshadows! 

Join the Fun here: 2/24- 2/28

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Acne/FEBRUARY-2017-25-Days-of-EYESHADOW-CHALLENGE/td-p/2686483

(though, I will ask a Mod to move it because it wouldn't allow me to pick anything else besides the 'Acne' tab)

@txcatx  Thank you so much for hosting January Perfume Challenge and to all that participated!

People should keep posting here if they are still sampling fragrance!

Yay! I love a good beauty challenge.

Wow are we all stop? Noooo! I hope @txcatx would keep this thread alive. I am no where done with the sample vial I'm collecting. Anyway late check in for the last couple days (and hope y'all won't mind I ran over Feb as well)

Jan 31: D&G 3 L'Imperatrice EDT: love love this scent. I wish it lasts longer though 
Feb 1: Jo Malone Red Roses: another favorite. I got many compliments wearing it.
Feb 2: Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey EDT sample vial: don't know why I overlooked it. It is such a lovely scents

Spoiler
Jan 1: Acqua Di Parma Rose Noble EDP sample vial.
Jan 2: Chanel Coco Mademoiselle EDP.
Jan 3: Tom Ford Noir Pour Femme EDP sample vial.
Jan 4: Armani Prive Rose Alexander EDT sample vial.
Jan 5: Hanae Mori Hanae EDP.
Jan 6: Dolce & Garbana Light Blue EDT
Jan 7: Tom Ford Shanghai Lily EDP deluxe sample.
Jan 8: Tom Ford Orchid Soleil deluxe sample.
Jan 9: Atelier Cologne Mandarine Glaciale sample vial.
Jan 10: Aerin Ikat Jasmine EDP sample vial.
Jan 11: Atelier Cologne Pomelo Paradis mini.
Jan 12: Hermes Le Jardin De Monsieur Li EDT sample vial.
Jan 13: Ralph Lauren Midnight Romance EDP sample vial.
Jan 14: Marc Jacob Daisy Dream EDT sample vial.
Jan 15: Jo Malone Nectarines and Honey Blossom.
Jan 16: YSL Black Opium EDP sample vial
Jan 17: Versace Eros Pour Femme EDT.
Jan 18: Tom Ford Cafe Rose EDP deluxe sample
Jan 19: Amethyst Eclat EDP sample vial.
Jan 20: Nest Indigo EDP mini
Jan 21: Lancome La Vie Est Belle EDP
Jan 22: Nada
Jan 23: Atelier Cologne Sud Magnolia
Jan 24: Jour d' Hermes EDP
Jan 25: Gucci Guilty EDT sample vial
Jan 26: Tom Ford Fleur de Portofino EDP deluxe sample.
Jan 27: Atelier Cologne Jasmin Angelique mini.
Jan 28: Tom Ford Jasmine Rouge
Jan 29: Lancome Hypnose EDP
Jan 30: Guerlain Terracotta Le Parfume EDT
Jan 31: D&G 3 L'Imperatrice EDT
Feb 1: Jo Malone Red Roses
Feb 2: Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey EDT sample vial

Anyone is welcome to continue the challenge, @blackkitty2014! I'm taking a few days off to enjoy my favorites, and then when I get my next orders from Sephora with new samples, I'll start posting again. 

Maybe change the name of the thread to "Perfume Sample Challenge" or something of the sort. There is a fragrance thread already though... Hm. But, if you get a sample, post it, wear it, and review it? 

@alexasteph I already tried. BT doesn't seem to allow changes to the name of the thread. 😕

I'm out of scents, but I'm also done with my January no-buy.  Thank you everyone for introducing me to perfumes I would never have considered.

I have a couple of sample sets on my Loves list that I plan to purchase post haste.  I also plan to go to Sephora to get a few sample of some other scents as well.

@txcatx - Thank you for starting this perfume challenge, and thank you for continuing it!  I'll rejoin once I get my samples; but in the mean time, I'll still be checking in.

I'm late to finish!

Day 30:  I stayed home with a migraine so I didn't wear any perfume.

Day 31:  Atelier Cologne - Bergamote Soleile

Notes:  Bergamot, Bigarade, Ambrette, Jasmine, Lavender, Cardamom, Vetiver, Oak Moss, White Amber

Day 32 (makeup for Day 30):  Atelier Cologne - Pomelo Paradis

Notes:  Pink Pomelo, Calabrian Mandarin, Blackcurrant Bud, Moroccan Orange Blossom, Bulgarian Rose Essence, Mint, Haitian Vetiver, Tuscan Iris, Amber

Compiled

Spoiler

Day 29:  Neutrogena – Shower & Bath Gel

Day 28:  Lush – Charity Pot

Day 27:  Atelier Cologne – Orange Sanguine

Day 26:  Givenchy – Dahlia Divin

Day 25:  Nest – Indigo

Day 24:  Atelier Cologne – Mandarine Glaciale

Day 23:  Atelier Cologne – Cedrat Enivrant

Day 22:  Versace – Eros Pour Femme (EDP)

Day 21:  Elizabeth & James – Nirvana Black

Day 20:  Giorgio Armani – Acqua di Gioia

Day 19:  Nest – Citrine

Day 18:  Nest – Midnight Fleur

Day 17:  Nest – Dahlia & Vines

Day 16:  John Varvatos – Artisan Acqua

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Thanks for participating in this challenge, everyone! Feel free to continue with the challenge if you'd like or start over anytime. I just ordered a bunch of fragrance samples and the Commodity cocktail kit due to 3x fragrance points, so I know I'll have plenty of new perfumes to try out soon.

I'm totally still going to experiment with fragrances! This was perfect timing in to the different fragrance promos stores hold in February. Last night I played around with my Pinrose rollerball set and read through the booklet to find new combinations. Today I layered a couple of Commodity scents. And to think, just a few years ago I didn't consider myself a fragrance person at all. Now I'm obsessed!

Thanks for hosting this challenge @txcatx! I'm definitely considering continuing to participate - at least maybe in a few days, after I revisit some old favorites, and others that I wanted to retry :).

Day 31 Creed Virgin Island Water

Tropical vacation in a bottle! 

Day 31: replica by the fireplace

I saved the best for last. And yes, after 30 days of different perfumes, I still absolutely adore this perfume and think it is one of, if not THE, most unique scent out there.

This has been really fun and in the end, I have a better understanding of what notes to look for if I'm trying to guesstimate a scent I would like going forward!

Day 31: Sarah Jessica Parker Stash

"Top - Grapefruit zest, black pepper, sage
Heart - Cedarwood atlas, patchouli, ginger lily, pistachio
Base - Olibanum, massoia wood, vetiver, musk"

Woodsy and smokey, I like it.

Spoiler
Day 30: Lalique Fleur Universelle 1900
Day 29: Dior Addict
Day 28: Nothing...skipped day
Day 27: Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche
Day 26: Jo Malone Red Roses + Pomegranate Noir
Day 25: Paco Rabanne Olympea
Day 24: Demeter Gin & Tonic + Paperback
Day 23: Penhaligon's Blasted Bloom
Day 22: Penhaligon's Vaara
Day 21: Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Her
Day 20: Jo Malone Sorrel & Lemon Thyme
Day 19: Moschino Fresh Couture
Day 18: Penhaligon`s Blasted Heath
Day 17: Valentina Oud Assoluto
Day 16: Aerin Evening Rose
Day 15: Degree Shower Fresh (missed day!)
Day 14: Ramon Monegal Lovely Day
Day 13: Alexandre J White Leather
Day 12: Rupaul Glamazon
Day 11: Lancome La Vie Es Belle
Day 10: Jo Malone Nashi Blossom
Day 9: Penhaligon's Quercus
Day 8: L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse
Day 7: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1960
Day 6: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1950
Day 5: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1940
Day 4: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1930
Day 3: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1920
Day 2: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1910
Day 1: Cartier Baiser Vole

Last day! I tried Stella McCartney Pop, but it reeked of plastic on me. I swear I can smell the pthalates in some of these perfumes. For work I layered Fresh Sugar, TokyoMilk Dark Tainted Love, and CK Eternity Now. Seriously yummy.

I also have to say that YSL Mon Paris ended up smelling great, once the patchouli stink wore off. I may have to give it one more chance. 

Day 31- Christian Louboutin- Tornade Blonde

Notes-Rhubarb, Violet Leaves, Ambrette Signature, Cassis, Bulgarian Rose, Jasmin Sambac Absolut, Orange Flower Petals Firnat, Gardenia from Brazil, Ambregris, Cedarwood, Australian Sandalwood, Patchouli.

I was able to get a sample of this from an online order. It was the only one I wanted to try. I don't care for it. 

http://www.sephora.com/tornade-blonde-P411917?skuId=1862572&icid2=products%20grid:p411917

Thanks @txcatx for this challenge! This is honestly the only challenge I have ever seen thru! 

Image result for you the bomb diggity

Also wanted to add thanks to everyone for participating - I enjoyed reading everyone's descriptions now have a few more fragrances to try ❤️

Day Thirty-One: Serge Luten's Sa Majeste la Rose

I thought I'd close out the challenge with a fresh and dewy rose. Bright geranium lends an aromatic air. A light honey adds warmth and depth. Begins pretty and effortless but becomes more mature and Lutens-esque in the dry down.

Day 31: Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb

I actually used to think I hated this one, but I acquired it in a TSB a few months ago and am very happy I gave it a second chance. It's very nice, and despite the name, does not smell like a bomb of flowers. Yes, it's floral, but not overpowering at all. It shares notes with some of my other favorites - sambac jasmine and patchouli. Some people hate patchouli. I love it! 

This challenge was great! I discovered some new favorites (such as Commodity Mimosa) and released I had outgrown some old ones (I'm looking at you, Marc Jacobs). I was also able to eliminate some that I was interested in, but failed to impress me. I have enough fragrance to last me a lifetime, but I can't fight the urge to want to add to my collection. It's taught me how sample vials can be a good tool, and I need to use them up before making a decision regarding a new fragrance. I have a running list of some I'd still like to try, thanks to things mentioned here, or through self-discovery in store. I have a few sample vials I definitely want to use up and then purchase at least a roller ball of. 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)
Day 18: Chloe Eau du Parfum (yay!)
Day 19: Dior J'adore (yay!)
Day 20: YSL Black Opium (yay!)
Day 21: Elizabeth and James Nivana White (double yay!)
Day 22: Nothing
Day 23: Marc Jacobs Dot (eh)
Day 24: Versace Eros Pour Femme EDP (no, unfortunately)
Day 25: BVLGARI Omnia Paraiba (eh)
Day 26: Commodity Mimosa (double yay!)
Day 27: Atelier Vanille Insensée (yay!) to mask MM Lazy Sunday Morning (100% NOPE)
Day 28: Paco Rabanne 1 Million (double yay!)
Day 29: Giorgio Armani Si (eh-yay)
Day 30: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Rose (yay!)

I didn't like a single Marc Jacobs perfume during this challenge. I swear I like his other stuff so it was super surprising!

@Alicehoopz I used to love his scents, but like I said in my post, I've just outgrown them. I also found they weren't very long lasting. Marc Jacobs makes good "introductory scents," if that makes sense. For someone who hasn't worn a lot of fragrences, they are a good place to start, but they don't age with the wearer. 

4,022 Replies
testing