Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@blackkitty2014 

That sucks!! I hope you feel better soon! Rest up this weekend ❤️

I finally got around to trying CdG's Blackpepper. I’d read reviews of the opening smelling like freshly ground peppercorns but unfortunately, this was not my experience. I was hoping for something very dry and spiky with a serious bite. However, after 10-15 minutes there is a strong and pleasant peppery bristle. The scent deepens as it develops with a lively combination of strong, smoky woods balanced with the warmth of tonka. The scent does not last long however, with two generous sprays drying down to a skin scent within a mere 3.5 hours! Would be fantastic with a longer lifespan.

Mmm, black pepper! I'd like to try this one, and Play Black ( have you tried that one, @pocketvenus  ? ). Love black pepper! Too bad about longevity, though... 

@lyravega 

I haven't but I just read the notes and it sounds like something I'd really like 🙂 I love smoky birch tar ❤️

Histoire de Parfums' 1828 (Jules Verne) took me by surprize. Its citrusy opening with a hint of spice left me thinking, “meh.” Then I sniffed my wrist roughly ten minutes later. What a shock! The nutmeg and spices had rolled powerfully to the fore, giving the scent a piquant edge. Be careful with this one – the spice is blended in such a way with a bit of sourness (maybe from eucalyptus?) that brings the fragrance close to BO territory at this point. The nutmeg eventually steps back and blends with coniferous notes to make for a more easygoing, pleasant wear. 1828 is nice masculine scent - but I think it is expensive for what it is.

@pocketvenus I love love love this one. 

I got a sample of Sci Fly and it is a very sexy fragrance. It wafts a seductive powdery float like in an old vamp movies. The only note they describe is vanilla. Such a Lovely daytime date fragrance.

I really liked this one. I didn't even notice much of a vanilla scent in it. 

@howconnie Now I’m even more disappointed Sephora can’t add samples to save their life, since one of my selected samples was Sci Fi. 

@howconnie

This sounds interesting but I couldn't find any info about it! Is it related to Fenty Beauty at all?

@pocketvenus  Maybe it's a typo and @howconnie meant ( Ellis Brooklyn ) Sci Fi...?

https://www.sephora.com/product/sci-fi-eau-de-parfum-P421215

@lyravega 

This one sounds like a vanilla I might like! 🙂

@pocketvenus  Yes! Same here!

Plus, the name! It has my name all over it! It is a sign! 😄 

I need a sample asap!

Can you tell I am excited? So many exclamation marks! Eeeeek! 

@lyravegaYes! And Sci-fly is a pretty good name too 😛

@pocketvenus Totally! 😛

Wait, vanilla @lyravega?! HOT DIGGITY Smiley LOL

@pixiedust2 - can we change our order request?  From one vial to 10? LOL  

@ZombieMetroAnt  Haha, yep. I'm not big on vanilla, though. But sometimes some scents surprise me. Hopefully this will be one of those. We'll see. Y'all hear all about it, well, of course! 😉

Orris by Commodity has iris, but is not really focused on an iris note. Iris is definitely there in the opening – and it’s easy to pick out despite being blended with a number of other notes – but it's a bit abstract in that it does not have the earthiness, butteriness, powderiness or a number of other qualities I associate with the note. By the one hour mark, the iris has really faded and is summarily displaced by a sweet, abstractly woody fragrance with the warmth of patchouli. Definitely wait to see if you like the dry down before purchasing this one.

@pocketvenus - This is one of the scents I like from the Commodity discovery set.  I've worn it a couple of times as an individual scent; I have not tried mixing it with another scent.

I appreciate your review of this perfume compared to the other iris perfumes.  Now I have an idea of what to think about when I give them a try!  🙂

@Titian06

That's right, I forgot these were made to be layered! Maybe that's why it struck me as abstract - that could make it blend more easily with other fragrances... I'm usually too chicken to layer fragrances though lol. The only one I've tried is the Escentric Molecules one that is basically just ISO-E Super... which goes with everything 😛

@pocketvenus - I understand what your saying!  I just know I'm going to end up with something rank.  Actually I like bergamot and have layered that with a couple of the Commodity perfumes that I didn't care for and it did make them more tolerable.  Tonka might be another good universal scent that you can easily add to other perfumes.

4,022 Replies
testing