Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

@txcatx - This is the only E&J I like too!

Day 22: Maison Margiela Replica Flower Market

Notes:
Crushed Leaves, Freesia, Sambac Jasmine, Jasmine Infusion, Tuberose Infusion, Rose from Grasse, Peach, Cedarwood, Oak Moss.

http://www.sephora.com/replica-flower-market-P385356?skuId=1593151&icid2=products%20grid:p385356

I love this scent! It is just so luxe and well rounded. Yes of course it is very floral but I feel like it has substance to it. The staying power is wonderful! 

Spoiler

Day 21: Stella McCartney POP

Day 20: Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

Day 19: Burberry My Burberry

Day 18: Christian Louboutin Tornade Blonde

Day 17: Carven Le Parfum (LOVE)

Day 16: Tory Burch

Day 15: Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline

Day 14: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Day 13: Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

I've been failing on posting -_- 

Today I'm wearing MMM Beach Walk. I find it fitting for todays warm windy weather.

Day 22: Michael Kors Wonderlust (sample)

Notes: Almond milk, Dianthus, Benzoin Siam, Sandalwood from Sri Lanka 

This smelled really odd on my skin at first, almost bitter. After 30 minutes it turned sweet. The dry down smells exactly like Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture, which I own. For this reason, I will not purchase.

Day 22: Lalique - Reve d'Infini

This smells powdery on first application, then it smells like peaches, and then it smells like aldehydic notes.  Very meh.  

Notes: bergamot, lychee, white rose, freesia, peach, jasmine, cedar, rose vanilla, musk, sandalwood.

Day 22: Giulietta by Tocca.

This is a super floral type fragrance.  It's really light and my first thought is spring time whenever I smell it.  After the floral there are kind of fresh/woodsy/green notes.  It's not really the kind of fragrance I go for, but it reminds me of something from my childhood in a good way.

DAY 7: Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily

i skipped yesterday (actual day 7) but it doesn't count, i'll start where i left off.

i adore this fragrance, one of my very favorite jo malone scents (along with blue agave & cocoa as well as ginger & nutmeg) but find it a little confounding. i can't even begin to explain what it smells of. a friend of mine told me she thought it smelled of beer while i don't agree......i get why she thought that (but don't let that put you off--it does a great disservice to the scent; i hate beer !!!). i've heard others compare it to sunscreen. i kind of get that too (likely the hint of jasmine with ginger ?) but this does not suggest 'beach' to me. it's a different kind of serene. more like one of those japanese parks in the middle of bustling tokyo that make you forget you're in the middle of a city.

i think this is extraordinarily well blended as no note is too overt or obvious (at least to my nose), and you get something that is utterly unique. the ginger is perhaps the most pronounced, along with the cardamom and waterlily. this is not herbal in its technical makeup, but if you like herbal scents as i do, this gives similar vibes.

after years of hoarding samples i now have a big bottle of this and i treasure it. some--well, most-- JM scents don't last long (they are cologne after all.........) but i find this one does. i may lose it but i get compliments on it throughout an entire day. 

notes: ginger, cardamom, pink pepper, waterlily, orchid, jasmine, rose, olibanum incense, dark amber, sandalwood, leather, and patchouli. 

previous days in spoiler

Spoiler
DIPTYQUE tam dao EDT
TOCCA colette
ISSEY MIYAKE l'eau d'issey EDT
TOM FORD santal blush
DEMETER - green tea
KEROSENE - blackmail EDP 

Day 22:  Versace – Eros Pour Femme (EDP)

Notes:  Sicilian Lemon, Calabrian Bergamot, Pomegranate, Lemon Flower, Sambac Jasmine Absolute, Jasmine infusion, Peony, Sandlewood, Ambrox, Musks, Sensual Wood

There is a rather "sharp" note in this scent that is unpleasant to me.  Then I realized that Ambrox is the synthetic version of Ambergris.

Spoiler

Day 21:  Elizabeth & James – Nirvana Black

Day 20:  Giorgio Armani – Acqua di Gioia

Day 19:  Nest – Citrine

Day 18:  Nest – Midnight Fleur

Day 17:  Nest – Dahlia & Vines

Day 16:  John Varvatos – Artisan Acqua

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Day Twenty-Two: L'Artisan Parfumeur's Dzongkha

This is a weird one. If forced to characterize this fragrance, I'd say it's an unusual woody leather. I was expecting something fresher. It's herbaceous but in an earthy, dusty, slightly smoky way. I always thought papyrus was a fantastical note - that nothing could really smell like papyrus - but the first two notes I detected when I smelled this was old paper and leather.

I had the worst headache yesterday, so I didn't wear anything.

Picking back up, Today (Day 22) I'm wearing Pinrose Treehouse Royal. At first I didn't like this because it leads with strong floral notes, predominantly peony. But after it dried down a bit, the jasmine and fig came through. This is not my favorite pinrose scent, but I like it!

@unfungirl - I'm glad you're feeling better today!

Thank you so much @Titian06!! The erratic weather always messes with my  sinuses.  🙂

Missed posting for a few days but did wear perfume.

Day 19- Miu Miu-I own this one not just a sample.I love the scent and it is so long lasting.

Day 20-Jo Malone Wild strawberry and Parsley.Another one I own,Blackberry and Bay is still my favorite but this one is great too.

Day  21- Fresh Life -a nice scent.

Day 22- Replica Tea Escape.I own this one as well another favorite.

Is WIld Strawberry and Parsley discontinued?  That sounds like something I would love.

Day 21: YSL Black Opium Nuit Blanche. I decided to do a side-by-side (or wrist-by-wrist) comparison between this and the original Black Opium. Nuit Blanche is a lighter, sweeter version.  It's lacking the spice of the original, but has a creamier, slightly powdery scent.  Despite those differences, the two still smell strikingly similar. Personally I prefer the sharper coffee-laced notes of the original, but Nuit Blanche is still very lovely. If you like Black Opium but find it a bit too heavy, this might be ideal for you. I found they wore identically well, and now that there's only a trace left, they smell the same.

Day 21: Elizabeth and James Nirvana White

I have a sample vial of this and since I'm not doing much today other than running a couple of errands I decided to give it a try. I like it quite a bit! To me, it seems like it wears sort of like a combination of J'adore and Chloe, two of my favorite scents. I think it's the peony in Chloe and the musky ylang ylang in J'adore. After doing this challenge and actually paying attention to the notes in the fragrences I wear, I've discovered I totally have a type, but I'm sure most people gravitate toward the same scent families most often haha. I'm all about those musky florals for sure, with a few random sweeter ones thrown in. Yeah. I really like this one. I'll need to use up my sample and buy a bottle. Oh no! That's two full sizes I've added to my list! 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)
Day 18: Chloe Eau du Parfum (yay!)
Day 19: Dior J'adore (yay!)
Day 20: YSL Black Opium (yay!)

Day 21: Stella McCartney POP

Notes:
Tomato Leaves, Violet Leaves, And Green Mandarin, Violet, Tuberose, Plumeria, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Musks.

http://www.sephora.com/pop-P406521?skuId=1804020&icid2=products%20grid:p406521

Barbie! Kathleen Lights cracks me up and when she said this perfume made her think of Barbie I really wanted it. My entire childhood revolved around Barbie at one point haha. As far as the actual scent, I really like it! It's just such an easy scent to throw on with the perfect mix of floral and musk. 

Spoiler

Day 20: Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

Day 19: Burberry My Burberry

Day 18: Christian Louboutin Tornade Blonde

Day 17: Carven Le Parfum (LOVE)

Day 16: Tory Burch

Day 15: Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline

Day 14: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Day 13: Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

This week's backlog: 

Day 21: Fresh- Hesperides Grapefruit

I absolutely love this!  It alternates between smelling like fresh grapefruit and candied grapefruit, and it is lovely.  Unfortunately it has poor staying power, which is generally true of citrus fragrance, and of Fresh fragrances, I've found.  I might get the soap, because then I will get to enjoy it in the shower and not worrying about lasting power.  I might buy a bottle- the only thing holding me back is longevity.

Notes: Grapefruit, Amfali Lemon, Orange, Jasmine, Lotus, Bergamot, Rhubarb, Peach, Musk

Day 20: GIvenchy- Dahlia Divin

This is your basic fresh white floral.  I liked it better than some overwhelming white florals (and honestly, from the name and packaging I expected it to be more overwhelming).  I'd use samples of this, but it's not interesting or unusual enough for me to splash out on a bottle.  

Notes: Mirabelle, Jasmine Sambac, White Flowers, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Musk

Day 19: L'Occitane- Fleurs de Cerisier

I like this!  It smells quite similar to the fragrance that is used in the Imortelle skin care line.  It's not exaclty the same, but it's pretty close.  This is a fresh, grassy, somewhat floral an fruity scent.  It's beautiful for spring.

Notes: Cherries, Cherry Blossom, Freesia, Blackcurrant, Lily of the Valley, Brazilian Rosewood, Amber, Musk

Day 21: Byredo Gypsy Water. 

There's this music festival outside of Austin where the sort of bands that play mid-day spots at Coachella (ie Beach House, Purity Ring, Phantogram) perform in the forest at a venue usually used as a Renaissance festival. This perfume makes me want to dress up in boho festival attire, go to that festival, and camp on site. Never mind that I spent most of my twenties going to festival after festival, but the older I get, the more I hate crowds. And that hassle of dealing with parking or dealing with rideshare pricing surges at that end of the night.

The point is, I totally get a cool, boho vibe from this perfume that's appropriately named Gypsy Water. I sprayed it on several hours ago, and I still get incense, sandalwood, amber, and vanilla.

Notes:

Top: Bergamot, Juniper Berries, Lemon, Pepper
Heart: Incense, Orris, Pine Needle
Base: Amber, Sandalwood, Vanilla

I've been dying to try this scent! The name itself is just too cute lol

Day 21:  Elizabeth & James – Nirvana Black

Notes:  Violet, Sandalwood, Vanilla

I don't really care for this scent.  All I could smell was the vanilla.  Fortunately, it is more of a warm vanilla rather than a sweet vanilla so I managed to escape a migraine.  I doubt I'll wear this one again (sample vial).

Ironically, I can still smell the scent on me 3 hours later, while the 20 other scents have lasted between 5 and 30 minutes!  😄

Spoiler

Day 20:  Giorgio Armani – Acqua di Gioia

Day 19:  Nest – Citrine

Day 18:  Nest – Midnight Fleur

Day 17:  Nest – Dahlia & Vines

Day 16:  John Varvatos – Artisan Acqua

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia