Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Thanks for your notes, @pocketvenus !  I don't think your post is too long.  I always enjoy reading your reviews or other information you provide! 🙂

@Titian06 Thank you ❤️

Oooh, thanks for your thoughts @pocketvenus! Love reading these. I picked up a sample of Casablanca Lily after spritzing the scent in store. I agree with you on De Los Santos. I was excited to test it but it really did not agree with me at all. 

@itsfi May I ask how you found the Casablanca Lily?

I should probably always add to my notes the caveat that we all experience scents differently and fragrances play out on our skin differently! It's why I've been reticent to write strongly negative reviews of fragrances in the past. I have a friend whose skin has a tendency to turn certain "mature" notes into baby powder, so instead of smelling sultry she just ends up with a nursery vibe 😂, poor woman! I have another friend whose skin keeps fragrances very "bristly" whereas when I spray a peppery or bristling one, that can fall flat very quickly so I'm a little envious 🙂

@pocketvenus, of course. I'm so sorry; I completely forgot to update my post with my thoughts on Casablanca Lily. I go on and on (so Ill leave those notes in the spoiler). In a nutshell, I'd describe the scent as smelling like a beautiful white floral bouquet with a slight sweetness of honey and rose at the end. 

More detailed thoughts on the notes:

Spoiler

Distinctively floral, with various white florals being prominent (but, thankfully not heady or overwhelming as many white florals can be), with a touch of sweetness at the end. 

When I spritzed it in the store on the blotter, I picked up the scent of lilies immediately, but when I applied the perfume on my wrist, the lily notes didn’t come thru until near the middle. 

On my wrist, the first notes I picked up were definitely that of white florals but no specific flower came to mind right away. I did a short while later pick up a mild tuberose scent and something else that was just a little powdery - the tuberose scent lingered but the powdery one dissipated very quickly. What came to mind was maybe violet or iris but it was faint. I don’t recall seeing it in the notes for this fragrance so I’m not sure why I’m picking up that note. 

The Casablanca lily scent comes in next. Casablanca lilies are some of my favorite flowers so I was happy to pick up the notes. Not heavy or overwhelming. That subsides a bit as does the tuberose and is replaced by another white floral, maybe a combination of white florals. It’s light; not in the scent that it wears close to the skin, but light as far as white florals go; maybe soft is a better descriptor. It feels like a jasmine scent and a very faint bit of gardenia. Noticeable but not heady or cloying. 

A sweet honey scent comes through during the dry down; it’s mild but adds some warmth to the perfume at the end and then to my surprise I picked up a very gentle touch of rose - it’s understated but blends beautifully with the honey and white florals.

One spritz lasted about 3 hours which isn’t bad. The jasmine, honey, and rose notes wore the longest on me.  

I really enjoyed this perfume, in large part because it’s one that I could pick up different notes and name them.  I can see myself purchasing a bottle … at some point. Not anytime soon though, not because I don’t like the scent; I do. I just have a host of scents to try and some full sizes I’d like to work through more, including another Byredo fragrance. 

I know what you mean about that caveat regarding fragrance. I try to do the same - note that how a perfume or cologne comes through is personal and dependent on factors like body chemistry, climate, etc. or that this is how I experienced a certain scent. There was, or is, a fragrance that many love, it's one I really wanted to love which was why I picked it up, but sadly it didn't come across as I expected. I mean, how it turned out smelling on me was funny and makes me chuckle even now but it was definitely unexpected. Hahaha! 

Very sorry again for the delay; it just slipped my mind. Thank you so much for the follow up. It allowed me to pull out my notes and reminded me about this scent.  

@itsfi I am terribly sorry for not responding to this sooner. I really loved reading through your description <333 I agree, as far as white florals go, it's not the headiest, plus there's no challenging indoles and so on. It is definitely no lightweight though!

OMG sorry I didn't realize this post was so long. I'll break it up more next time!!!

My favorite perfumes lately have been Kilian Princess and Kayali Eden. They’re perfect fall scents and I just keep going back and forth between the two. I recently tried samples of the Dior perfumes and didn’t really care much for them since they was so floral. 

@Cherylb88 I love KILIAN Paris Princess Eau de Parfum 1.70 oz / 50 mL eau de parfum spray too! I received it as a sample and ended up purchasing a bottle to make my fun fall signature scent. kilian is a slippery slope though… I recently purchased KILIAN Paris Angels Share Eau De Parfum to alternate in the fall/winter ❤️

I agree. Once you try Kilian you get hooked. I also love Love Don’t be Shy but Princess is still my favorite especially for fall. The new travel size just isn’t quite the same as the full size. The full size is exactly like the original while the travel size is just sweet and doesn’t last 10 seconds on the skin. It smells amazing during the fall/winter and lasts much longer rather than in summer or warmer months. I need to get Angel’s Share next. Everyone raves about it. 

Thanks for sharing, @Cherylb88 ! 💖💖💖

I placed an order from Dior direct recently and received a couple of fragrance samples. Today, I tried Oud Ispahan. It started out cool and crisp, like a walk through a snowy forest, before turning slightly soapy and then warming up with florals--like a hot mug of tea brewed with dried rose petals. As it mellowed, it reminded me of jasmine incense and rooibos tea. Overall, it's fine, but it does seem like a more mature fragrance than what I would usually purchase for myself.

I recently tried the perfumes in the Sephora Favorites Vanilla Travel Perfume Sampler Set .  It comes with fives samples and a voucher to redeem for a travel size of one of these samples.  Here are my thoughts on this set (in the order I used them).

Floral Street, Wild Vanilla Orchid

Top:  Vanilla Flower, cassis, citrus

Mid:  Flowers, bamboo, jasmine

Base:  Vanilla bean, sandalwood, orchid, patchouli

Comment:  This is a light floral scent on a light citrus background.  Although I couldn't smell vanilla, this is not an overwhelming floral or citrus scent either.  A nice overall scent.

Skylar, Vanilla Sky

Top:  Cappuccino, sweet orange, bergamo

Mid:  Vanilla, cinnamon,  Spanish jasmine

Base:  Caramel, sandalwood, amber, cedar

Comment:  This is a lovely warm vanilla.  It has a smooth, rather than bitter, "coffee" scent (for those of use who don't know the difference among all the different coffee types) along with a warm vanilla.  I am probably going to use my certificate for the travel size in this

By Rosie Jane, Dulce Perfume Oil

Top:  Vanilla

Mid:  Hinoki wood

Base:  Nude musk

Comment:  This perfume oil is nauseating.  It absolutely stinks.  Since it wouldn't wash off, being an oil, I added another perfume to it, which toned it down and made it wearable.  I still didn't like it and tossed it immediately.  Also, the scent, as horrible as it was, lasted most of the day (wouldn't you know).

Nest New York, Madagascar Vanilla Perfume Oil

Top:  Vanilla bean

Mid:  Vanilla orchid

Base:  Coconut

Comment:  This perfume oil smells like...vanilla.  Not too sweet, not too warm.  Too bad it lasts about 20 seconds.

Juliette Has a Gun, Vanilla Vibes

Top:  Salt

Mid:  Vanilla absolute, orchid

Base:  Tonka bean, sandalwood, musk, benzoin

Comment:  I love this perfume!  I've been wearing it since it came out.  I purchased a nearly full-size travel sample using my points in the Rewards Bazaar.  It's a lovely vanilla with a hint of salt, not caramel or sweet.  Something you can wear when you can't decide what fragrance to wear.  If I don't redeem my certificate for the Skylar, then it will be for this

@Titian06 Okay, fine...*Adds to cart.*

@txcatx - Sample sets are so much fun!  I'd love to know which one you decide on.  Enjoy! 😘

I recently received a sample of Valentino Donna. I absolutely loved the scent, but unfortunately it didn’t last long on me at all. Perhaps two hours tops! Can anyone recommend some long lasting perfumes? I love exploring new scents. Floral scents are my favorite. My current one is Giorgio Armani My way. But I like to have some other options to change things up!

@NikoDCLXVI  Versace Turquoise is floral citrus. Tom Fords Black Orchid is a deep, rich spicy floral. Kilian Rolling in Love is floral, slightly fruity, slightly sweet. Liz Claiborne is a stronger civet-y floral in 80's fashion. Dolce and Gabbana Garden is sugared flowers and Valentino Voce Viva is a heavier and a bit mature floral. Those all last for hours on me. I'm not sure how long they will last for you.

Thank you so much for the list!! I have gotten Tom Ford Black Orchid as a sample. I didn’t like the sent but it did last the whole day. The dolce sounds very good I will have to seek that one out as well as a couple other ones from your list. Thanks again!!

@NikoDCLXVI  Have you tried Marc Jacobs Fragrances Daisy Ever So Fresh Eau de Parfum ? His usually last a long time on me. 

The description sounds exactly what I like! I will give it a try, thank you so much for this recommendation!!

@NikoDCLXVI Have you checked out 

Chloé Chloe Nomade Eau de Toilette 2.5oz/75mL Eau de Toilette Spray . I swore there was an Eau de Perfume version. Regardless this one last and around the same price point.

4,022 Replies
testing