Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@itsfi I can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get to it.

@Samtian - I'm so happy for you that this is a winner! 🥳

@Titian06 Thank you me too!

Room Service

From Lucky Scent-

The Scoop

Picture this: Greta Garbo at Carlyle – a superstar who chose herself above Hollywood’s siren song. Alone in her hotel room, attired in a drift of satin and poignant allure, waiting for her ultimate luxury: a bath of flower petals, the warm water releasing this collision of citrus and red fruits, bamboo, violet, black amber and sandalwood.

What We Think

Juicy and lush, but with a decidedly un-sweet sophistication, this is a fruity floral with a grown-up sexiness.

Room Service Fragrance Notes

mandarin nectar, blackberry, pink orchid, bamboo, violet, black amber, musk, sandalwood

2/5 - Starts smoky, blackberry. Nectar and violet hit next. Final dry down reminds me of a musky spoiled milk. Wear time is over 4 hours. 

375x500.30932.jpg

@Samtian, too bad about the dry down on this one. I was all onboard until I got to the part of it smelling like "musky spoiled milk."

@itsfi Haha yeah that was a long wait to stop smelling bad. 

Tried a couple samples today - Louis Vuitton Matiere Noire and Louis Vuitton Fleur du Desert.

Matiere Noire Key Notes:

• Agarwood
  • Sambac jasmine
  • Narcissus
  • Rose centifolia
  • Cyclamen
  • Patchouli
  • Incense

i was looking forward to trying this one. I didn’t get any of the beautiful notes or complexity I had hoped for. It pulled very mature floral (like grandma-level). I got a heavy rose scent, and hardly anything else. No patchouli or incense. Unfortunately was a no for me, but the staying power was 8+ hours on my skin (it’s always the ones I don’t like that seem to hang around the longest!)

Fleur du Desert Key notes:

• Jasmine from Grasse Absolute
  • Sambac Jasmine Absolute
  • Orange Blossom Absolute
  • Centifolia Rose Absolute
  • Bulgarian Rose Essence
  • Oud Wood Essence

i wasn’t expecting too much for this one. If anything, I thought it would smell like how Matiere Noire ended up smelling. I could not be more wrong. The rose was much lighter and I could get a hint of the citrus. The first spray was very peppery to me - almost like a Mugler Alien. Lasting power was ok. Overall I wouldn’t purchase it because at this price point ($425 Canadian), I expect way more uniqueness and creativity, but it wasn’t awful. 

this was my first experience with LV fragrance. Has anyone had luck? I don’t know anyone who wears any, and haven’t heard too much buzz about them.

@cianni I haven't tried them all but of the ones I tried, I'd say they are very safe, or we are to be less charitable, not the most creative so at this price point one could find easy alternatives. There were a couple I liked. Turbulences is a true tuberose with a kind of mushroomy darkness that was interesting. Orage is a versatile refreshing citrusy woody vetiver. I did not enjoy MN.

@pocketvenus that's the perfect way to put it - i was waiting for them to be complex and deep (based on the notes and beautiful product pages online dedicated to them.. i think FDD even had a full-fledged video dedicated to it), and they were a little generic

@cianni Agreed about generic. They're nice but at the price point, one hopes for more than nice!

Oh my. I am in love. This new scent I tried today is quickly in the top 10 of my favorites. It is so intoxicating and lush. 

Gardens Of India
by Parle Moi de Parfum-  Oh man this is intoxicating, so luxurious. Starts with a honey, almond, jasmine scent. 9 hour wear time.

76713.jpg

Oooh that sounds amazing! Might have to find a sample! @Samtian 

@sister13 I love it so much. 

Yea, @Samtian !  After all the nunpleasant ones you've gone through, I'm glad you found one you like! 🥳

@Titian06 Thank you me too! 

I recently bought the ABBOTT ABBOTT Sampler Set and I'm glad I did. I loved the notes of a few and they ended up being horrible on me.

Big Sky- 3/5 Starts off very very strong. Dries down to a masculine woody scent. Lasted a little over 4 hours on me.

Mojave- 1/5 Very very strong peppery scent at first spray. Dries down to a peppery tobacco smell. Very faint after 4 hours.

Montecito- 0/5 Very medical at first spray. Stays with a heave medical scent, hidden under that is a nice grapefruit. 5 hours.

Sequoia- 0/5 Extremely smokey smell. 6 hours. Only ever smelled smokey incense. Strong.

Crescent- 4/5. Very nice clean aquatic floral. After the first initial notes, it goes to a laundry scent. Final dry down a light aquatic floral. Over 6 hour wear time.

Cape- 4/5. Starts out with a soft mint ginger mix. Fresh and cool like the description says. Marine like with mint. 6+ hours wear time.

I also started sampling some I found that I had ordered in July...I had forgot about them lol.

Regime des Fleurs Tears. 3/5 Starts with an intoxicating lilac, orange, frankincense smell. Dries down to a sharp medicinal orange, very faint lilac. I was kind of confused on how to describe what I was smelling so I googled Olibanum and was like wow yep that is perfect, I could smell that really well. 4+ hour wear time.

651018.jpg

I tried the Abbott sampler a while back and basically found them to be likable but not distinct or amazing enough to buy any of them. I like the concept, though! @Samtian 

@sister13 Same, love the concept!

Thanks for reviewing the Abbott Sampler, @Samtian !  It's on my Loves list.

@Titian06 I am more than happy to send them to you. I tossed two of them in my sample box so I'd have to dig them out, if you want them. 

@Samtian - I'm more than happy to take these off your hands! 🙂

4,022 Replies
testing