Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@QueenMarceline my faves are fawn, salt, and sweet. you should def. try one of their samplers!! bc theyre only like $22-25, which seems like a good deal compared to compared to other brands samplers, AND it seems like u get a lot more, theyre sturdy glass vials which are full, instead of the half full, plastic ones like most brands. and they come in neat little books, too. 🤗

I tried bee in one of the recent sephora favorites sets (actually got it mainly for that, bc I love EB, and the sets make it a better deal) but was sadly disappointed. it smelled like cleaner at first, then turned into sweeter, but kinda old ladyish. seemed kinda generic and not quite as special as I'd hoped. but luckily there were others in the set I loved (skylar vanilla sky, and daisy eau so intense)

edit: just checked and I guess theyve gotten rid of some...the chronicle set that I got is at ulta for $22, but not at sephora...the only difference between that and the library set is west, for $5 more.

@treestar86 I'm not going to lie, I usually keep away from samplers only because I know I'll likely fall in love with multiple and that my bank account will hate me... I'm a bit of a fragrance addict and when I really like something I make it a point to own it in at least a 1oz. I usually collect free little samples because I somehow get a ton of them from my Sephora, ULTA, Macy's, etc. orders. Unless their decent sized mini perfumes, I prefer not to spend money on a large sampler set (because I'll just end up buying 2+ perfumes). When I have minis I feel like they run out a bit slower and I get to sample them for longer so I get less of the "omg I'm in love and the sample is over within a few spray, let me go out and buy this" urge (or at the least, a lot less quickly).

@QueenMarceline I'm sorry this scent didn't work for you.  It's funny how different fragrances can be on different people.  This is actually one of my favorites from Ellis Brooklyn.  The end notes you get are the only ones I pick up, and I can still smell it the next day before showering.  

@ragdoll4mom I've heard great things about the scent and was super excited to try it out, you're very right though. Scent and body chemistry is a very personal thing. 🙂

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium Illicit Green Eau de Parfum 1 oz/ 30 mL I bought the mini, and it will be in my January loves!! It reminds me a lot of the original more than any of the others, I would say it's a bit more spicier. As it wears throughout the day, it reminds me more of Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Coffee Break Eau de Toilette it starts off spicy on me and turns soft and beautiful soon after. The top notes of green mandarin, fig and coffee blend so well together in this fragrance.

@lmaster It's taking everything in me not to place an order for the mini gwp of this lol. 

@Samtian @lmaster - I'm on a low/no buy and am having a hard time justifying not making a purchase to get this sample! 🤨

@Titian06 @Samtian I want to do a purchase to get it too,,, I have a feeling this will go way too fast 😆 I'm using it everyday

@lmaster I made 2 purchases to get 2 of the extreme minis a couple months ago...and sadly wasnt impressed. 😕

also the 2 alien goddess minis I THOUGHT I was getting before that turned out to be the regular alien, sooo...im a little iffy about the gwp's, now... 😅😒

@treestar86 then you might want to smell it in store if possible, but I love it!! And I love the alien goddess too @Samtian 

@lmaster yeah, I'll try! esp. since I saw u have to spend $45 to get the mini!?!? 😱 like wtf!? it was only $25 or maybe $35 when I got the other one...and theyre probably the same size.

@treestar86 @lmaster - That's what's keeping me from breaking my low/no buy to get this!  If it were $35, I'd have no problem justifying a backup for a product, but $45???  Nope!!! 🤣  I'll just wait for Sephora's next sale or a coupon from Ulta.

@Titian06 same!! sephora has changed since last year. 🤣

yeah hopefully it'll come to ulta, bc then there would probably be extra pts. sometime...ironically black opium is the fragrance crush of the month there right now, but of course that doesnt include all the other versions. 

Yeah and since I know I love it, I'll just buy another when my travel size runs out @treestar86 

@treestar86 Haha regular Alien is one of my top favorites. Sorry they didn't work out for you! 

@Samtian  well I do like it (hadnt tried it before), but was expecting the goddess one. lol.

I heard they changed them so theyre not as strong or long lasting, but I dont think I smelled the older version, so I wouldnt know. 

its funny how much of a pain the aliens have been for me though, haha. I was supposed to get goddess from influenster, but it never came. so after much complaining, mugler finally sent it to me. 😌🤗 and then I ordered alien fusion from sephora, and it took 2 weeks for them to ship it. 🙄😒

@treestar86 I haven't even paid attention to all the new versions. That's sad they changed it!! 

@lmaster Is it figgy at all? I saw fig was the top note and I have a bit of a YSL collection going with perfumes so I really was hoping for that fig note.

@QueenMarceline @lmaster if u like fig, u should try PHLUR Hanami Eau de Parfum 1.7oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray !! I LOOOVEEE it!! its like unisex but that makes it so wearable for everyday, bc its not too girly, sweet, floral, OR too manly. Its perfect. 🤗

@treestar86 - This sounds like something I would like! 💖💖💖

4,022 Replies
testing