Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 12: At the Barber's by Maison Margiela.

This is not my favorite Replica fragrance, but I do like it.  It's aromatic, fresh, spicy, and musky.  I don't know if I think of a barber shop when I wear it though.  Maybe a nicer version of Old Spice?  Deoderant?  I don't know.  It's not unpleasant though, so I'll finish the sample.

Day 12: Went for my longtime favourite, Fresh Sugar. (The original)  I just love this one so much! It's not the longest lasting scent, so I made sure to get a little spray on my scarf, so I could sniff it all day. It's warm and slightly lemony and sweet with the subtlest hint of musk. It's the same scent as their sugar lip balms.

@Beadshopgirl  I've been meaning to try that one, but it always seems to slip my mind to get a sample when I'm in store.  

It's so good! much less sweet than the newer ones like brown sugar or sugar lemon. I would be happy wearing this every day.

Day 12: Felt then wed to wear springtime all over me! Started with Molton Brown Vintage 2015 shower gel (it is so sparkly!) Followed by Jo Malone English Pear and Freesia layered with Mimosa and Cardamom. Sadly the combo didn't last all day, but the first half of my day I was walking on sunshine!

Day 12- Atelier Cologne Cedrat Envirant

Notes:
Maroccan Cedrat, Lime, Bergamot, Chinese Mint, Egyptian Basilic, Juniper Berries, Tonka Bean, Vetiver, Elemi.

MMM I love it! I've been on a lime kick the past few months.

http://www.sephora.com/cedrat-enivrant-cologne-absolue-P385175?skuId=1598499&icid2=products%20grid%3...

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Notes:
Bitter Sevillian Orange, Pomelo from Florida, Blackcurrant, Magnolia from Louisiana, Bulgarian Rose Absolue, Indian Saffron Flower, Atlas Cedarwood from Morocco, Sandalwood, Musk.

http://www.sephora.com/sud-magnolia-P394145?skuId=1684943&icid2=products%20grid:p394145

This surprised me! Upon initial application I wanted to immediately wash it off. It smelled like a locker room lol. However as the day went on my body chemistry has changed it quite a bit. It now smells like I spent the night inside of an All Saints store wrapped in their leather jackets. Love it 😛 

Spoiler

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

I remember smelling this in Sephora and really liked it, I was surprised too! On my last order I chose a vial from the sample section. I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit before trying this!

Day 12: Chloe Eau de Parfum. 

Notes: Peony, Rose, Honey, Cedarwood 

This is such a great fragrance for when I do not know what to wear. It smells so fresh, and no one in my family has ever complained about it. 😄

I didn't realize rose AND peony are both notes in Chloe! They are my two favourite flowers, and I would love to find a scent I like with both.

Unfortunately Chloe doesn't sit well on my skin for some reason. There's something cloying about it once it hits my skin. I'm looking at the notes and I think it might be the freesia...

@k617 Have you tried Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet? Not usually my kind of scent, but there's something about this I like.. It has peony and rose, with fruit.

I also want to try Knot Eau Florale but haven't had a chance to sniff it yet.

You've tried JM Peony & Blush Suede, yes?

I love peony, but it's a bit harder to find! 

"no one in my family has ever complained about it"! Bahaha! So, it must be a good one, huh? 😄 ( I don't care for this one, but if family won't complain.... 😉 )

@Magrathea My family will complain, however, if I wear Angel by Thierry Mugler. It smells positively wretched on me! 😄 The family is quite opinionated about my perfume, lol!

Love Chloe. I agree with you 100%, it's a really good one to fall back on. 

Day 12: Lancome La Vie Est Belle.

This is one of my favorites. It's just the right blend of floral, sweet, musky. It's comforting, which I needed this morning because I woke up in a mood. 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows

Day 12 - used an old standby today - Victoria Secret Noir Tease after my trial and (lots of) error yesterday.

To my nose, it's very similar to D&G Pour Femme which is something I also love.  Just cozy, sweet, maybe slightly floral.

Day 12: Etat Libre D'Orange Fat Electrician

My notes - In my heart of heats I wanted this to smell like an electrically charged donut.  It doesn't. Maybe a little too masculine for me, kind of boring but comforting.

Real notes - Vetiver, Chesnut Cream, Olive Leaves.

Day 12: See by Chloe (rollerball)

I've had this one for a while and always forget how much I like it. 

Notes: Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Vanilla, Musk

Spoiler
Day 11: Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensee and Orange Sanguine (minis)
Day 10: Nest Indigo (mini)
Day 9: Juliette Has a Gun MMMM.... (travel spray)
Day 8: Gucci Guilty (sample vial)
Day 7: Jo Malone Dark Amber and a Ginger Lily (sample vial)
Day 6: Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire EDT (mini)
Day 5: E&J Nirvana Rose (rollerball)
Day 4: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Ellipsis (sample vial)
Day 3: Marc Jacobs Decadence (rollerball)
Day 2: Derek Lam 10 Crosby 2am Kiss (sample vial)
Day 1: Philosophy Fresh Cream (body spray)

Day 12, Le Labo The Noir

Woody and fruity tea. Some Fig. 

Beautiful scent. Very cozy. 

Just not in the mood for it. I like it on me and will try it again later. 

Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio. Opens with a really bright citrus scent, which dissipates within a few seconds into a really incensy...pine scent. Right now, about an hour in, it has dried down into a sweet grass scent with a slight floral and slight spice.

I'm not sure I really like this. I hate the citrus and incensy pine scent. I don't like the smell of grass, but I am getting a little more depth than I was 10 minutes ago, which is interesting,

This whole only being able to smell with one nostril thing is getting really old.

Notes:

Wasabi Accord, Fig Leaf, Bamboo Leaf, Bergamot, Lemon, Galbanum, Cardamom, Violet Leaf, Fresh Cut Grass, Myrrhe Absolute, Fir Balsam, Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Musks, Labdanum

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

Day 12: coach Poppy Blossom

It opens with notes of litchi, mara strawberry, mandarin and freesia. The heart is made of lily of the valley, Centifolia rose, tuberose, gardenia and Sambac jasmine. The base notes are praline, vanilla, blonde woods and musk.

4,022 Replies
testing