Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

@michelleshops i'm not super into powdery fragrances either (with a few exceptions), so i felt similar about this one. but i wish i liked it, if that makes sense. it's not for me, but i sure appreciate it's existence--unabashedly feminine, in that bold old school way. maybe someday..........

Does the name of that perfume mean what I think it means? 😄

Day 19: Hanae Mori Butterfly.

This one is right up my alley!

Notes:
Strawberries, Bilberries, Black Currant, Bulgarian Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Sandalwood, Almond, Praline.

This is a really lovely fragrance.  I got lucky last year and ended up getting a bottle super cheap after a Christmas gift box set clearance sale.

I got a sample of this one a few months ago and really, really like it. It's been on my list, I just have't gotten around to actually buying it yet. I need to use up some others before I add to the madness! 

Day 19 - Calvin Klein Deep Euphoria

Notes: white pepper, cascalone, mandarin leaf, rose, peony, geranium, jasmine sambac, woody notes, musk, patchouli

ROSE AND PEONY TOGETHER?!

I just mentioned the other day I'd love to have a good fragrance with both of my favourite flowers.

Sadly, while this one smells pretty, it's generic (which is OK) and not very long lasting (which is not OK). I have a mini of this from an event at the Bay, so I'll keep using this and see if I have better luck if I apply lotion to my neck first.

@k617 have you ever tried stella mccartney 'stella' ? it's known for its rose and peony 🙂

Yep @jemly @lylysa I have Stella already 🙂 Thanks!

I like Stella, but I'd like something fresher and brighter. I tend to wear the same notes (rose is in the majority of my favs) so I'm always on the lookout for more!

Good recommendation!

To K617, if you like CK's Deep Euphoria and enjoy a more deep floral scent, then Stella should be right up your alley.

Day 19: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens

Totally cheating- Knowingly repeating :x.

I'm marinating in it today and it smells different! It still has the cherry almond gourmand, but I'm picking up on something that strongly smells of...saffron?

Notes:

Aldehydes, almond, cherry, hawthorn, rose, heliotrope, white honey, vanilla, tonka bean, balsam, musk

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 18: Oud Wood by Tom Ford
Day 17: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 16: Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela
Day 15: Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio
Day 14: Eau de Sens by Diptyque
Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

Thanks so much for your response on where to get this..I will definitely be trying it out! This thread is great because I am keeping a list of scents I want to try after I have used up my current bottles..I want to build a new scent profile once they're gone!

You're so welcome @Smeegle! Definitely try this one before buying! I'm loving it, but was googling and saw others don't (while others do). Fragrance and personal chemistry is an amazing thing :).

This challenge has been alot of fun!

I forgive you for going back to this @Libellules .  It sounds incredible! 

LOL thanks @AMHWKI!

Day 19: I finally got smart and learned to spray paper or the air before spraying myself with random sample vials. 

First up, Derek Lam 10 Crosby Afloat. Nope. 

Second: Tom Ford Orchid Soleil. Big, BIG nope. My bathroom smells like it survived an assault by a gang of grandmothers.

Finally, I pulled out Roses de Chloe from my bag of sample vials. This perfume is lovely. I might need to buy a bottle of this one someday. 

Key Notes:
Bergamot, Damascena Rose Essence, Amber Musk.

I have yet to see someone say they enjoy the TF! 😄

I don't know if you read my comment about it a few pages back, but I smelled like I wore floral perfume and poured a lukewarm milk all over myself. Gross.

Lolol @txcatx! I was not a fan of any of the TF orchid fragrances,  they definitely give off an old lady vibe to me. And  I think I've smelled one Derek Lam fragrance that I didn't absolutely hate😳

LMAO @txcatx

Anything new has only gotten sprayed on my wrist LOL. And if it's really scary (like that comptoir sud I discarded), I tested it before showering :x

Day 19: CLEAN rain

No, just no. The lily and daffodil are really overpowering, and even after a few hours it's too much for me. I had to scrub my wrists to try to get it off because it's giving me a headache 😞

Florals and I just don't mix!

This one did not work for me, either. 😞

Day 19: Aquolina Pink Sugar

This smells like cotton candy sweets to me. If Unicorns wore perfume, this would be the one. 😄

4,022 Replies
testing