Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@cianni @itsfi Definitely worth checking out for a straight up coffee fragrance 🙂 

I just received the tester set from Akro, the house launched by Olivier Cresp.

Tested Night today because it has a reputation for being really polarizing. It's certainly not an easy one! I'd describe it as a surprizingly accurate rendering of a man's sweaty cr0tch but there's enough leather and non-cumin spice in there to push it right to the edge of wearable. If you're familiar with that dirty patchouli in Cresp's Mugler Angel Eau de Parfum then you'll have some idea of the kind of funk I am writing about except this time it's even earthier with a cumin note. The cumin will likely turn most people off because it is not subtle here. Nothing subtle about this scent.

I have a high tolerance for cumin so it's not that note that made this a pass for me - it's the rose, which is synthetic, thin, wan and metallic to my nose. It never truly blends in with the rest. This would have been amazing if the rose was really plush, romantic and tender.

The drydown becomes rather snuggly for such a brash opening, taking Night down from a snarling growl to a contented purr. If you're not afraid of cumin and dirtier scents and appreciate a challenge, give this a try. But if you'd like something that smells fresh and clean stay far, far away!

I honestly didn't have high expectations for Night. This is a pretty creative and daring endeavour at an affordable price. I'm now looking forward to trying the rest of the sample set I bought.

Notes: Bulgarian rose, cumin, saffron, agaroud

@pocketvenus Thank you for keeping this thread alive with your amazing reviews of some niche goodies, I'll have to get back on here during my "me time" and take note of the scents I've been trying out lately even though they're a bit "basic" in comparison to your lovely spread. ❤️ 

Unfortunately, Mugler Angel is a scent I don't particularly enjoy so this one won't be as much "my thing", but just here to say thank you for all your amazing contributions. 🙂

@QueenMarceline Quite enjoyed reading your latest posts ❤️ Always happy to hear your thoughts, especially in learning about fragrances I've never smelled! I have read good things about Britney's fragrances but have never tried them.

@pocketvenus I personally only like a very select few of her fragrances. Celebrity perfumes are generally not my thing.

@pocketvenus Doesnt exactly seem like my cup of tea, but I can always appreciate a fragrance house taking risks and being more bold and inventive! Akro will definitely be on my radar for a more creative scent!

@cianni Same, this one is a pass for me but I appreciate how Cresp isn't playing it safe here!

Oooo, @pocketvenus , I would have tried this in a heartbeat, except rose is usually a migraine trigger.  As you describe it here, I know it will be.  But the cumin!  That's one of my favorite spices to cook with, and I'm not shy when I use it! 🤣

@Titian06 Ah, cumin applied sparingly in a fragrance can be great. Cresp also did the reformulation of Rochas Femme wherein he introduced a dash of cumin that you might be into. It is one of my favourite feminine fragrances, not nearly as aggressive as Night.

Officially a case of “so obsessed with the sample, I had to buy it”! The travel size because it’s pricey, and not something I would wear everyday but… KILIAN Paris Angels Share Eau De Parfum Travel Spray 0.24 oz/ 7.5 mL is just incredible. I think ideally I would wear it on special occasions or more so in the fall or winter, but I just had to have it! If you’ve ever wanted to smell like a slightly boozy, sultry apple pie, this is the one LOL I got compliments right away, and like other kilian fragrances, I find the scent to be long lasting and the dry down notes are especially long lasting on clothing and in my hair

D6AF0B83-A1EF-45E8-9E73-C39180B6D7D8.jpeg

I can see why you got this one, @cianni !  The notes on the product page (and your description) sound wonderful! 🥰🥃🥧  Enjoy! 🙂

I recently used my NEST New York Perfume Oil Discovery Set and I am loving the Indian Jasmin fragrance. I put a dab on my wrist to put on my neck and then one more dab on my wrists. It last all day and is not overwhelming. I sometimes catch a scent when I am moving and it catches me off guard because it smells so nice. I will be buying the full size of NEST New York Indian Jasmine Perfume Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL . 

@Mellmars1185 What a fun review, I tried the Turkish Rose I believe from the NEST oils and I really enjoyed it. Lasts such a long time too and I was pleasantly surprised to how nice it dried down on me 🙂

Great to hear, @Mellmars1185 ! 💖💖💖

I picked up the NEST New York Seville Orange Perfume Oil 1 oz that was available in the rewards bazaar a couple of months ago.  Is that on the set?  It has a warm orange scent that was, as you said, not overwhelming, and it lasted most of the day.  I doubt I'll get a full size, but I'll enjoy using the sample. 🙂

@Titian06 The Orange Seville is in the sampler pack. I enjoyed that one the most before I discovered the Indian Jasmine scent. They are both really nice ☺

I’ve fallen hard for scents, both in candle and perfume/cologne forms. In the past couple months, I’ve purchased a number of sample sets and individual samples from: #Ellis Brooklyn Library Discovery Set 8 x 0.067 oz/ 2 mL Set , Le Labo, Diptyque, and upon seeing a post from @makeitup305 , a sample set from Maison Francis Kurkdjian, from which I’ve found a scent I love and had purchased a full size bottle. 

My thoughts of the MFK set:

Aqua Universalis Cologne Forte Opens with a soapy scent. Over time developed herbal smell like cilantro and then later on more of a floral smell. Interesting scent

Aqua Celestial Cologne Forte Initially a blast of lime and cleaning products. But most “fresh” scents smell like cleaning products to me. Do not like

Aqua Vitae Cologne Forte Smells like cleaning products mixed with kumquat. Also smells sweet.

Amyris Femme A somewhat generic floral scent but slightly sweet. MFK website hints at pear and lemon tree flower with amber.

I don’t know my notes but just a floral fruity scent. It’s okay 

Gentle Fluidity Gold I like this one. It’s a vanilla and tonka scent, reminds me of Jo Malone London’s Myrrh and Tonka but maybe lighter? I’m not a huge fan on vanilla scents but this is nice

Oud Satin Mood Is Oud incense? It has a heavy incense smell to me, along with a heavy heavy floral smell. This lasts a LONG time. It’s much too strong for me.

Baccarat Rouge 540 This is my love! Went and purchased the full size bottle right away. There’s a hint of medicinal/hospital/antiseptic smell, maybe like bandages? Is it latex? But also a sweet smell. I’ve read it’s like Ariana Grande’s Cloud but I’ve sampled that and while both are sweet, I like BR540, but not Cloud. 

Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait To me, there was very little difference in the extrait vs original. A bit stronger? It’s a bit different but I can’t put my finger on what and so I purchased the original. This one also very nice. 

sounds really nice @Margalee !

Thanks for the review, @Margalee ! 💖💖💖

@Titian06 Turns out if you spray it on your clothes it will last all day. And under your clothes in mild temps. I'm glad b/c I like the fragrance very much.

image.jpg

Full disclosure: I am by no means a fragrance expert. But I came across a stash of samplers, and gave decided to create a spreadsheet tracking each of them. It’ll have name, cost, type (EDT/EDP etc), scent/most notable notes, projection and how long lasting it is. I think I’ll wear each for a couple days to get a better analysis. Wish me luck LOL

for reference, my spring daily scent is the Ralph Lauren Beyond Romance Eau De Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray . My partner bought it for me and loves it, and I like it for spring! My nighttime/date night go to us GUERLAIN Mon Guerlain Eau de Parfum or KILIAN Paris Angels Share Eau De Parfum 1.7 oz / 50 mL for a really special occasion!

1 Reply
testing