Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@Titian06  I hope so!! it sounds like one ppl either love or hate - but I guess thats just the case w/some perfumes!! if the travel size is available, at 50% off I think its definitely worth a try!!

@treestar86 Thank you for the recommendation 🙂 I've added it to my loves list.

@QueenMarceline ooh YAY! I hope u like! I got the travel one first, and loved it so when I saw that the full size was still available at 50% off during the last 20% off sale, I snagged it too. 🤗

I was actually just wondering when the next 20% off sale is, in case some of the other ones Ive wanted to try, like ameline, come back in stock... 🤔

@treestar86 It's a really great price and the fact you got it at the additional 20% off sale is amazing. Now that's a SNAG. I noticed the price right away when I clicked it but I'm on a no buy month. Hopefully this is still around at the VIB Sale in April because that's likely when I'll be making my new Sephora order that's actually for me (and not gifts), plus the extra discount would be nice and I wouldn't mind blind buying it for that price at all. 🙂

@QueenMarceline  thanks!! oh, its good to know when the next sale is!! I may be able to buy more by then. 😅 they have a few other varieties Ive been interested in, too, so if they come back I'll probably want to try some during the sale, too.

oh thats what I did w/sandara, too. since hanami was such a hit, I figured I should get the full size of sandara, but got the travel one, too, to try first. so if I dont like it I could return or sell it.

@QueenMarceline I wouldn't say fig stands out by itself, but it does have a sweet touch to it

@lmaster I'll have to smell it in person but I really want the green bottle. It'll match/complete my Black Opium collection 😂

@QueenMarceline I wish I could try all the different versions Ive seen here, but sadly theres no sephora here, and they dont have much at ulta. ☹️

@treestar86 I know they had a few of the Black Opium Neon's and other spin offs at ULTA. Maybe this one will eventually made their way over to ULTA as well. 

@QueenMarceline maybe!! yeah Ive seen that they had other versions, but then they get rid of them after a while. and by the time I notice theyre on sale, theyre gone, or I cant get over there in time to smell. 😕

@treestar86 Not sure if you have or not, but I highly recommend checking your local ULTA. I'm lucky in the sense that I have 4-5 ULTAs all around me within about a 20-25 minute drive from my house. I remember last time the NEON was on a flash beauty steal, it was completely sold out online. I was going to ULTA to do a pick-up in store order and I noticed they had one more in stock at my local ULTA. I asked the associate and she told me they had about 8 in the morning but that many people came to check out if it was in store during the day. Mind you, I came in about an hour or so before close. I've noticed it's always worth checking especially if it's a good steal. 🙂

@QueenMarceline I think I did last time I was there. but its a small town and they said it was like the smallest store in the state...which makes sense, bc everythings small here. 😅😬

@QueenMarceline you will love it!! I do smell fig!! I just sprayed it, but it is definitely mixed with the citrus,,, it's intoxicating in a wonderful way

@lmaster I need to get to the store ASAP to see if they have this out yet.

@QueenMarceline it's fabulous!!

Thanks for sharing, @lmaster !  This is on my Loves list.  Now I can't wait to try! 💖💖💖

@Titian06 you are sooooo welcome!! 

FEATURED-IMAGE-AESOP-OTHERTOPIAS

Have been very curious about these new Aesops. While the use the same bottles as previous releases, they've been priced much higher at CA$255/50ml versus CA$160.

I like the earlier releases, they're very easy wears, pleasant and easy to match and give a modern vibe. Maybe like an outdoorsy version of CdG.

Miraceti is not what I expected. Definitely different from the earlier, easy-to-wear ones. Despite its description of being a woody scent, the "seaweed" note gives it a marine tinge. Marine as in calone. I really dislike calone though it's not applied with a heavy hand here, it's not your typical 90s aquatic scent. It's also rather dirty, actually. Though this fades and shifts away from bodily fluids to leather, it's not like a clean leather goods leather. It's the styrax and labdanum kind of leather. Dark, smoky, and a little animalistic. I'm really surprized. While it's light wearing like the others and I've definitely smelled way more challenging niche fragrances, it's not commercial. It's interesting and I like that Aesop didn't play it safe here but I also don't think the typical Aesop customer is ready to enjoy this.

o.11762.2

Testing Gucci's Eyes of the Tiger today, a vanilla fragrance. The opening is very gourmand, gently sweet and a touch powdery. It grows muskier in the dry down and a little dirtier and creamier with the costus but there's just too much fluffy musk for it to be interesting to me. I believe the Alchemist's Garden line is meant to be layered which explains why this scent is so unidimensional. It's not minimalist, it's not at all like an Hermessence or even a Jo Malone, the latter of which is designed to be layered but still has some semblance of a composition. I had a similar experience with the oud fragrance in this line, Voice of the Snake which faired better with me probably because I am not a vanilla fan but do enjoy oud. It was seriously bare bones. Honestly, the Alchemist's Garden line feels like receiving a tube of a neutral paint colour that requires purchasing more expensive tubes of paint in order to slap together a painting. At this price, I would think of this more as a collector's item more than anything else.

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F6%2Ffiles%2F2021%2F03%2Fdiptyque-orpheon-eau-de-parfum-perfume-fragrance-floral-woody-price-where-to-buy-00

On my other wrist, I'm testing Orpheon which is more of a disappointment. I'd enjoyed Diptyque's later releases, Tempo and Fleur de Peau and found Capitale a worthy effort so had high hopes for Orpheon. The promotional photos are deceiving, suggesting something smoky, woody, masculine. No, this blasts you with an abstract, clean and soapy floral. The notes state the flower is jasmine which I love but I'm not getting jasmine at all. The scent improves in the dry down with less soap and more tobacco but overall, it remains very clean. Not my cup of tea.

Ooh, great reviews, those Gucci bottles are lovely,I was wondering! @pocketvenus 

@pocketvenus Thanks so much for your awesome and thorough review of these fragrances 🙂 I'm glad you mentioned that the Gucci Eyes of the Tiger is more of a collectors item than anything else. I really don't need anymore vanilla perfumes, lol!

5 Replies
testing