Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@QueenMarceline You're very welcome! ❤️

@Margalee Yes, I think I would be more open to them if they weren't priced so ridiculously. JC Ellena successfully challenged the idea of a more expensive perfume requiring a complex structure with a bazillion notes and showing how something pared down could still be creative and skillful but the Alchemist line is really pushing it.

Keeping up with my tryout of the MFK sampler set I picked up, Gentle Fluidity Gold was next. I love it. I actually wore it two days in a row because I enjoyed it so much. It's not the most unique scent since it's main notes are what I call "basic"- vanilla, musk, and amber. However, they are very refined in this fragrance and not overwhelming at all. Very long lasting, though not as long as some of the other MFK fragrances I've been trying. This is a fragrance that I think would appeal to a lot of people and become a daily go-to scent for many. it's a new love for me. Many people liked the KAYALI VANILLA | 28 & MUSK | 12 Doublesided Travel Rollerball 2 x 5 mL (me included) and this is the better version of that. 

@makeitup305 Thanks for your review 🙂 

Just have to say... that is a super unique and innovative idea with the double sided rollerball. Would actually buy more rollerballs (it seems like I avoid them like the plague) if they had this kind of set up.

Today, I went to the mall to make a return at a jewelry store and while I was there I also wanted to stop by LUSH to swap out 15 (yup, fifteeeeen) black pots in exchange for 3 fresh face masks. I purposefully went perfume-free in hopes I'd get to stop at my Sephora and try out the Kilian Apple Brandy perfume. Unfortunately, they did not have it out on display yet and told me to come try back in a week or so. (will do lol) So instead, I decided in the spirit of my "walk down LUSH memory lane" within this thread that I'll try out one of their new perfumes instead of old, discontinued ones that collect dust on my vanity 😂After spritzing a few on the testers I chose my winner: Lord of Misrule. I used to own this in the limited edition bath bomb and a shower gel so I already knew I was fond of the scent but I wanted to see if I liked it in perfume-form. Sprayed myself down with it on my wrists and neck and headed out for the rest of my errands/chores. 

IMG_4704.jpeg

My Thoughts After Wearing It For The Day:

Okay guys, I really like this perfume... like a lot. I was not expecting to really fall in love with anything new from LUSH since I already own so many of their scents and oftentimes they can have a similar scent-profile to one another. This is probably one of the best, most stunning LUSH perfumes on the market (discontinued perfumes included). As is on par with the brand, the scent is very strong and does last throughout the entire day. I'm having a hard time describing what I am even smelling (which is rare for me) but this scent is sexy and I do pick up some very luscious full-bodied vanilla from time to time but it's not overpowering or even prominent. It's earthy, it's spicy, yet also it's somehow sweet, it's strong (boss lady vibes) and it's sophisticated. I don't know why but it gives me "having an affair with your female boss" type of vibe. 😂

The website describes this scent as:

• Spicy black pepper gives it a kick
  • Patchouli oil is earthy and distinct
  • Creamy vanilla adds a sweet touch

However, I really do not smell any patchouli within this (not a huge fan of patchouli, but also not a hater). I find it that the harder of a time I have describing the keynotes in a perfume usually means that I will enjoy that perfume. This sounds weird but let me explain. I love scents that marry notes in such a way that almost creates a whole new unique experience in itself. To me, the sure sign of a great perfume is when all of the notes are so well "married" together and combine in such a sophisticated way that it's hard to pinpoint each and every one of them within the scent. If that makes sense. I would truly give this scent 4.5/5 stars. So well executed. I really would like to own the 1oz of this one day, since I'm on a low-buy I'll have to use up 2 LUSH perfumes I currently own before I get to buy this. Guess you'll be hearing some more about discontinued LUSH products soon (my bad😁😂

@Margalee If you have a LUSH near you I highly recommend testing it out in store, they have this one at every location I've been in recently. 🙂

@QueenMarceline Looking forward to hearing about these discontinued scents!

@pocketvenus Coming soon 😉

@QueenMarceline - This one sounds nice!  I don't have a Lush near me.  The closest one was an hour away, but wasn't there the last time I went to that mall. 😕

@Titian06 Aww, that's a bummer. I have quite a few kind-of-sort-of near me currently, but I believe one did recently close. I probably wouldn't have went in there if I didn't have a ridiculous amount of black pots to return TBH.

Diptyque has launched an LE EDP version of Eau Rose and accompanying candles in collaboration with the brilliant Maurice Harris! Harris is the founder of Bloom & Plume, a luxury floral studio that has become a springboard for him as a multidisciplinary artist.

Albert-Review_Diptyque-eau-de-rose_1-1024x767

diptyque celebrates roses with Maurice Harris, the most exuberant of florists. For this occasion, the Maison has created a limited-edition collection brimming with whimsy, color and scent.

At its heart, the new eau de parfum Eau Rose brings together the most unexpected accords naturally present in the rose: chamomile, artichoke and litchi. As an illustration, Maurice Harris has created a bouquet in its image – one spiced up with a touch of extravagance. A delicate flower or a juicy fruit here, a green vegetable there... Together, chamomile, artichoke, litchi and rose bloom in a vegetal profusion of whimsical beauty.

Like the eau de parfum, the Eau Rose eau de toilette and the new limited-edition candles Camomille, Artichaut, Litchi and Roses each feature a bouquet composed by Maurice Harris.

And in a final bouquet that’s just as stunning, the four candles, lit together, reproduce the scent of the floral composition by this most audacious florist.

unleash-the-rose-at-diptyque

CAMPUS_TABLETOP_PORTRAITS_0568_R1b_FORPRINT

@pocketvenus - these look gorgeous.

Wow those pics are gorgeous! 

These images are stunning, and now I need to stop by the Diptyque store sometime!

@pocketvenus Wow, this looks stunning. I love all my 50 shades/scents 😂👀of rose perfumes. My goodness does this ad make me want to buy a perfume I haven't even gotten a whiff of yet in a way an ad has never done. All those florals, all the colors, the description. Ooooof

AmpleImmediateCivet-max-1mb.gif

@QueenMarceline He is such a mad talent!!! I'm not a big fan of litchi but yes, this does make me curious!

I picked up this set from Nordstrom because I'd heard a lot about Maison Francis Kurkdjian and Baccarat Rouge 540 especially. I'm currently working my way right to left. 

IMG-1649 (1).jpg

So far, I've tried Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait (2x) and the EDP (1x). I can't properly explain what it smells like on me. I looked up reviews and scent descriptions because I couldn't really place it. Some people mentioned it smells like a doctor's office or latex but more than that, on me it smells sharp and "minerally", similar to chlorine or the ocean. I think that might be the ambergris? I'm not very familiar with scents so I feel like I can't describe it well. There was a subtle sweetness underneath but not much, at least on me. While very long lasting (after 10 hours I could still smell it on my wrist) it wasn't a particularly pleasant scent on me and never "mellowed out". I found the Extrait and the EDP very similar, with the main difference being that the Extrait was more intense and even sharper, as well as more long lasting. 

On the other hand, today I tried the Oud Satin Mood and have really enjoyed it. I can still smell it on my wrist more than 10 hours later. When I first applied it, it was a little powdery but not in a "grandma" way, and it settles into a warm comforting scent, slightly woody and a hint of sweet and floweriness. I would consider buying this one (but probably only a travel size, considering the price).

Hi @makeitup305, I’m curious to know of your thoughts on the remaining MFK scents.

@makeitup305 That one sounds so complex and weird. I got excited and went to Nordstrom to look at this set, but it looks like I'd only enjoy maybe 3 of them so I passed. 

5 Replies
testing