Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@Margalee - Chanel No, 5 was my first "grown-up" perfume. 🥰

Have you tried the new version of No. 5,  CHANEL Limited Edition °5 L’EAU 3.4 oz/ 100 mL Eau de Parfum spray ?

I have a stash of perfume samples from various orders this year and definitely need to try them out. I started with Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Autumn Vibes . I have to start by saying that while I've always found Maison Margiela fragrances interesting, I've never found one that I love enough to want to purchase, except maybe By the Fireplace.

Autumn Vibes started off crisp on my skin, but then it got a little musty before turning sweet with a hint of spice--like a hot mug of rooibos chai. Eventually, as the fragrance started to fade, I felt like I was transported to a small town antique shop, since my wrist smelled like discarded objects and wooden furniture from past eras. Finally, more woodsy notes appeared, and I found the intended memory of stepping on crunchy leaves on a crisp, fall day. Boy, that was a journey.

Thanks for the review, @txcatx !  I haven't heard too much about this one, especially considering how excited so many people were about it's release.  I'd still like to get a sample just because of your sensory journey--that is way too good to pass up!  🤷‍♀️

@txcatx Love this description ❤️

@txcatx Is this one you would purchase?

@Samtian This one is a maybe. It actually reminds me more of old books than the library fragrance that Maison Margiela also has, and it's starting to grow on me. My favorite one is still Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' By the Fireplace 1 oz/ 30 mL which I think smells like marshmallows roasting in a bonfire.

@Margalee It's good to revisit perfumes! Sometimes I find I can pass judgment too quickly when certain fragrances can take a few wears for you to get them.

@Margalee For me, I was too quick to write off certain perfumes as boring. And sometimes the opposite happened, I would really like a fragrance at first because it was new and unusual but over time I'd realize that it wasn't something I'd want to wear regularly.

@Margalee - Maybe you tried the intense version the first time???  I agree with your description of Black Opium.  I don't wear it very often because a little goes a long way.  It's not a migraine trigger, but it's not a good one to wear if I feel like I might be headed that way.

You're right, @Margalee .  The Black Opium intense is the Neon.  I don't know why intense means spicier.  To me it means the same scent, but stronger smelling--it smells like lemons, now it smells like LEMONS (not spicy lemons).

Hi, all! I tried a couple of perfumes yesterday and today.  Yesterday, I tried #Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée Pure Perfume 6.7 oz/ 200 mL Pure Perfume Spray.  I was a little concerned about trying this perfume since vanilla is a migraine trigger for me.  The good news is the vanilla in this perfume is warm, not the overly sweet kind.  This scent reminded me of the way your house smells when you make sugar cookies at Christmas.  However, it was minimally noticeable and only lasted maybe 30 minutes.  Later when I was smelling my wrist, I didn't detect anything specific, but my skin had a "my skin but better" scent to it.  This lasted for several hours.

Today I'm trying Armani Beauty My Way Eau de Parfum .  It starts with a light citrusy scent.  After it dries down, it has a warm floral scent.  I really had to douse myself in this perfume to get a somewhat noticeable amount of fragrance.  It seems to have more lasting power than many of the perfumes I've tried, but then I did put a lot more on.

Thanks for the suggestion, @Margalee!  I wasn't that impressed with My Way, but if I have the opportunity to test drive the intense version, I will give it a try.

I have Acqua di Gioia--it's one of my favorites!  I didn't pick up a water feel.  I'll keep that in mind for the next time I wear it.  😁

@Margalee If you want a strawberry one, I seem to recall Etat Libre's Les Fleurs du Dechet having an easy strawberry character. But I can't recall if that lasts long into the drydown.

testing