Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Recently I've worn Givenchy L'Interdit Eau de Parfum , Mugler Aura Mugler Eau De Toilette 3.0 oz/ 90 mL , Jo Malone London Peony & Blush Suede Cologne , and Chanel Coco.

Jo Malone London Peony & Blush Suede Cologne is a pretty fragrance. It nearly exudes the color pink. It's very feminine and is elevated even with the warmer notes of "suede". I now understand what perfumers are describing when they advertise an elevated fragrance. The red apple is softer even at the opening but the peony is prevalent throughout most of the wear, which I don't mind since I like peonys. The suede side of this is warm but very airy and soft. Much better than English Pear and Freesia IMO.

@Margalee - Thanks for reviewing Jo Malone London Peony & Blush Suede Cologne !  I was hoping it would smell like peonies--one of my favorite flowers!  💖💖💖

@Titian06 You're welcome!

Today's perfume sample of the day is Juliette Has a Gun PEAR INC. 3.3 oz/ 98 mL Eau de Parfum Spray . 

Immediately upon spritzing this fragrance on my wrist, I was hit with a light musk, followed by a burst of clean, crisp fruit and an ocean breeze. As the fragrance settled, I got ripe, juicy pear, but in a way that somehow seems more sophisticated than a Bath & Body Works body spray from my high school days or even Jo Malone's English Pear & Freesia (which was a favorite of mine immediately after those B&BW body spray days). 

I actually rather like this one. I always think of pear as a fall fruit, but I see this light fragrance as an uncomplicated, summer scent. I might pick up a travel size bottle of this during the Rouge sale. Or maybe that Sephora Favorites set that includes this fragrance.

Beyond that I want Chanel No5 on this sale...

@Titian06  I think Ulta has L'eau and Premiere in store. I did test them. Both were pretty. I like Premiere a bit more and considered for my "next" list. I saw the N 5 original on Sephora and am super curious but a dauber and a quarter ounce for 130USD. That last part is a bit scary.

@Margalee - Chanel No, 5 was my first "grown-up" perfume. 🥰

Have you tried the new version of No. 5,  CHANEL Limited Edition °5 L’EAU 3.4 oz/ 100 mL Eau de Parfum spray ?

@txcatx I've been eyeing that sampler for awhile. From the descriptions I thought I'd like Brooklyn Bee but then I read the reviews. Sephora Favorites New at Sephora Perfume Sampler Set has four I think I might like but I'll have to get a whiff of them at the store. I'd hate to buy it and be left with the choices of I own it or I hate it.

I have a stash of perfume samples from various orders this year and definitely need to try them out. I started with Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Autumn Vibes . I have to start by saying that while I've always found Maison Margiela fragrances interesting, I've never found one that I love enough to want to purchase, except maybe By the Fireplace.

Autumn Vibes started off crisp on my skin, but then it got a little musty before turning sweet with a hint of spice--like a hot mug of rooibos chai. Eventually, as the fragrance started to fade, I felt like I was transported to a small town antique shop, since my wrist smelled like discarded objects and wooden furniture from past eras. Finally, more woodsy notes appeared, and I found the intended memory of stepping on crunchy leaves on a crisp, fall day. Boy, that was a journey.

@txcatx I love perfumes that have big changes through the notes! I' m not sure I'll be keen on old books but I'll have to try this one out.

Thanks for the review, @txcatx !  I haven't heard too much about this one, especially considering how excited so many people were about it's release.  I'd still like to get a sample just because of your sensory journey--that is way too good to pass up!  🤷‍♀️

@txcatx Love this description ❤️

@txcatx Is this one you would purchase?

@Samtian This one is a maybe. It actually reminds me more of old books than the library fragrance that Maison Margiela also has, and it's starting to grow on me. My favorite one is still Maison Margiela ’REPLICA’ By the Fireplace 1 oz/ 30 mL Eau de Toilette Spray which I think smells like marshmallows roasting in a bonfire.

So the past few days I have been wearing Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée Pure Perfume  . I love Atelier but find many of them do not last very long on me and this vanilla is pretty basic. So the next day I mixed Valentino Donna Yellow Dream Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray  with the Atelier Vanilla Insensee. It was okay but at the end of the day I realized I had been looking for Atelier Cologne Lemon Island Pure Perfume with the above combo and had to laugh at myself a bit. The day after this I wore CLINIQUE Clinique Happy Rollerball 0.34 oz/ 10 mL . I have tried this before and didn't relish it but it came in a set and figured I'd give it another whirl. It sprays on very citrusy. More so than most citrus style fragrances I've tried. More than I remember also. The dry down to this I actually enjoyed. Not quite the rindy opening but more the inner fruit mixed with much of the white lining just beneath the rind. It has a touch of vanilla? but for me this is a mostly citrus scent. I wouldn't call it a favorite but I might just keep it. And maybe mix it with the Atelier Vanilla Insensee. Although I am suspecting the Atelier Vanilla Insensee is mild enough that it won't be able to stand up to the opening of Clinique Happy and won't last long enough to pull through on the drydown. Yesterday I wore Viktor&Rolf BONBON  It is very sweet but not quite the heavy candy smell I was expecting. It has a heavier? earthier? Ambiance of? sweetness to it but no where near sickly. I am going to wear it again soon to see how much I truly like it. I have  a dauber but I think I need to break out any little 1.2ml sprays and really give it a whirl all over the place. It lasted a decent amount of time, more than an hour or two. At least four

@Margalee It's good to revisit perfumes! Sometimes I find I can pass judgment too quickly when certain fragrances can take a few wears for you to get them.

@pocketvenus  There are a couple, such as HERMÈS Twilly d'Hermès Eau de Parfum # and HERMÈS Eau de rhubarbe écarlate Eau de Cologne 1.7 oz/ 50 mL # that initially I did not like. I think they were just strange smells. Not the perfume style that I was used to. They are why I give perfumes a second try at a later date.

@Margalee For me, I was too quick to write off certain perfumes as boring. And sometimes the opposite happened, I would really like a fragrance at first because it was new and unusual but over time I'd realize that it wasn't something I'd want to wear regularly.

@txcatx Today it's a blast from the past with Liz Claiborne. It's very floral and very long lasting. If you don't like the old fashioned civet blends you probably won't like this perfume. 

Sunday I sampled two Estee Lauder perfumes. Beautiful Belle with a heavy gardenia and Beautiful Magnolia. I was surprised at how much brighter and youthful Beautiful Magnolia was to me. Maybe the word Belle connotes a younger woman and Magnolia connotes the Old South in my mind. I did feel like Belle was a much more mature and earthy fragrance while Magnolia was conveyed youth and fluidity. Belle is tea in the parlor, warm with indoor lighting and Magnolia is a day out meeting friends in the fresh air and sunshine. Both are pretty but the strength for both on opening border on nose tweaking. Once they settle in they back off a bit. I do like that Beautiful Belle keeps that gardenia base for hours and doesn't become completely musky. I'm obviously no expert but possibly the difference in these two are the types of gardenia and musk used. Belle to my nose has the traditional musk usually found in department store fragrances and a heavy, earthy gardenia. Magnolia has Illumina musk and solar gardenia. 

Yesterday I sampled DefineMe Kahana. I do not prefer this fragrance. I love that it has an aquamarine crystal in it. I get the fresh note from this that is in many fresh fragrances. It is the reason I do not like most fresh fragrances. I'm guessing it is the blonde woods. I like all the other notes listed on the box although the out front hibiscus combined with white orchid could be pushing it over the edge for me. It does settle a bit but does not have not enough of a switch in notes for me to enjoy the fragrance. I might wear it occasionally for the benefits of aquamarine but it will probably be gifted to someone who can fully enjoy it.

Today I am wearing Kate Spade (Kate Spade). It's fruity and floral. It's sweet but not too sweet and it's not heavy at all. So far it doesn't seem like it will last any where near as long as the three other perfumes but maybe because it's a much lighter fragrance. It makes me think of spring and summer evening parties on the patio. Sixties parties. hmmm..

Today I am giving #Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium another chance. When I initially smelled it in Sephora a couple years ago it smelled good but was overwhelming. There was a "perfumey note" (ie not fruity, floral, musky) that was a trigger. I have a mini so I tried it again. The initial scent is lush fruit. I don't remember this part in Sephora. It was more spices. And more intense. The fruits fade quickly into a somewhat powdery amber sort of smell. In about five hours this is powder with a hint of warmth and little projection. There is something about Black Opium that I like and I really want to like it more but it is a bit of a nose tweaker. That's a deal breaker for me since I hate having a red irritated nose.

5 Replies