Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Ruh by Pekji is a heady oud that's not easy but still wearable. It's incredibly unctuous, almost uncomfortably thick. A floral character emerges as the scent develops that helps cut the fat. Fantastic projection, one light smear to the arm resulted in great wafts of scent. Apply sparingly, this is not for office wear! It's a great scent but does not give me a cardamom coffee vibe the way it's advertised although from the reviews I read, it seems this one changes a lot depending on the wearer's skin.

Edit: ooo, it seems like the coffee came out for me in the dry down, like it comes up from way deep in the bottom, if that makes sense.

ruh-destacada

Trying TF Soleil Blanc edp ( again ) and SB edt... Is it possible that the edt actually lasts way longer than the edp ( which is gone in half an hour, probably even sooner than that )? Or they mixed up my samples? When I tried the edp the first time, around the time it came out... I didn't even remember the scent anymore, but I remember the same thing happened back then, too - it was gone in no time. So, maybe edt does last longer on me? Anyone else had this happen? Is it possible? Everyone is saying the edp lasts longer, so I am confused.

Can you tell a samples order of mine came in? A couple reviews for today

comme-des-garcons-parfums-rouge-fragrance-launch-release-information-jordan-hemingway-1

Comme des Garcons' Rouge has an interesting opening that explores beetroot in both its candied and earthy aspects. I was expecting something hot and spicy with ginger and incense in the notes pyramid, but this leans more on the candied side in the dry down. It's not saccharine but it's too sweet for me. Kind of disappointed to be honest. It received great reviews, it's certainly better than Copper, and you do get the facets it promises of a metallic edge. But I don't think this should've been a pebble bottle release, it just doesn't hold up to the classic pebbles, like CdG Original, Man2 and some of the greats that you can wear anywhere with this assured laidback urban vibe. That's what I expect from the pebbles. This one would be like a top tier release in their one-note fragrances where they try out weirder notes like Calamus and the scents are more experimental and questioning in nature. Rouge is still interesting and would be right at home there.

616616cfbaca69e7cba98eaa6cd0c548

Kerosene's Copper Skies is a great ambery scent that has that pleasantly textured, rough-around-the-edges feel to it that characterizes its other scents. I find some of the niche houses are like this. If a house like Malle is offering hi-def, polished to perfection fragrances, these niche houses are lo-fi, fuzzy, shoegaze scents. They're just going for something totally different. Opens with a nutty warmth and envelops you in spice and tobacco. Nothing groundbreaking. Mellow and sweet with a little grit. Great for autumn.

Ha. Now I am kind of glad they sent me something else by mistake instead of Rouge ( because I ended up liking that "mistake" ). Thanks for the review, @pocketvenus ! I was expecting something similar to what you were expecting. This... does not sound appealing to me much... if at all. I love the bottle, though. I am always a sucker for pretty red bottles. 😛

Kerosene... I am not an expert, but it seems ( to me ) all the scents I've tried from them were really well made. But. They are all just so... sickeningly sweet! And heavy. And cloying. And gourmand. Did I mention sweet? Ugh. Minus Walk The Sea. And I think... Pretty Machine... was it? I don't remember anymore. But, yeah. That is not for me. I don't like such cloying gourmand sugar comas. But they are really nicely put together, I have to say that. I like how you described them:"lo-fi, fuzzy, shoegaze scents". That is it exactly! And it is so pleasant. 

@RavenR I think I know what you mean. I tried one of the gourmands, Unknown Pleasures, and found it unbearably sweet but good for anyone who loves a desserty gourmand. I passed it along to a friend who loves Baccarat Rouge 540. If you like the work, maybe give Broken Theories a shot? It's a smoky, ambery one that is fantastic, my favourite so far from the house ❤️

Thanks, @pocketvenus . I've tried that one ( Broken Theories ). It is the best one out of the ones I've tried so far, yep. I kind of like it. But I don't love it. 

Unknown Pleasures was unbearable alright. 

I was thinking the same, these must be a dream for sweet/gourmand lovers! I wish Kerosene added something more to their arsenal because I really like the work. But I guess these are their thing and that's that. 

I am waiting for my Walk The Sea sample to try it again. I don't know why am I bothering again. Maybe that opening. The opening, as I remember it, was great and everything I am looking for in that elusive summer/beach/sea/salt fragrance. And it is still hunting me. A wonderful blast of sea salt, like being at some wild, hidden beach, with just sun, hot rocks and cold sea that emit those marine scents, and a pleasant, fresh, sea breeze. And waves crashing and spraying you with some sea water. But it lasted just a minute or so, and then it turned into something totally blah ( air freshener/laundry detergent ). It's been a while and I kind of hope maybe my nose has changed? Or something. Not even sure. Just want to try it again.

@RavenR - I love your sea salt/beach description!  I can picture myself there--ah, stress relief!  😎

Thank you, @Titian06 !

Haha! Yep. Why can't they just make a scent like that, eh?! A lot of us would benefit from it. 😛 

erotique-kv

I'm testing Dita von Teese's Erotique today. This scent is now discontinued so it's pretty pricey to purchase relative to what it used to retail for, US$75 for 75ml.

If you can't tell from my photo, that's Dita, she is totally my glam muse  I don't have a vintage style like her, I just appreciate how she embraces the rituals, artifice, and daily commitment to beauty. And her attention to diversity. Her lingerie line for example has a pretty wide size range for an indie brand.

Anyway. I'd read good things about her perfumes and how they are a cut about most celebrity lines. She's very into perfume and has stated in multiple interviews that she dislikes clean scents, fruity florals and gourmands. If I recall correctly, her favourites include Serge Lutens, Quelques Fleurs, and other vintage scents.

Regarding her celebrity releases, Ms. VT reported in a Forbes interview that '“I struggled constantly with my old company. They wanted to do stuff like put feathers on the bottle, when I wanted to talk about elegance, beauty and the simplicity of the fragrance." She has repeatedly stated that she wanted to produce perfumes that reflected her own tastes and to be mature, devoid of sugar and vanilla and she clearly got her way there but it seems she also experienced a lot of pressure to compromise.

Dita-Von-Teese_Erotique-Perfume-by-Albert-Sanchez-Pedro-Zalba

Erotique is described as "an aphrodisiac accomplishment; a carnal blend of floral sensuality with an exquisite note of leather that evokes erotic mysticism." Does it live up to its hype?

I have to admit, Erotique is not at all carnal to my nose. A lot of reviews mention eroticism and risk and darkness but I'm just not smelling it here. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not clean or youthful, but it is pretty tame compared to the ad copy or at least, other perfumes based on a rose-leather concept like Malle's Rose & Cuir or Hermes' Gallop. It may well be Ms. VT wanted something more challenging but the bean counters wouldn't permit it. There's a little growl of a rougher leather in the opening but it fades out quickly and to be honest, it's too scratchy and synthetic to be enjoyable. I wouldn't even call this a leather. Mainly there is a floral opening with that brief synthetic leather that dries down to something very soft and woody with the suggestion of smoke. It's also not bristlingly spicy compared to other, spicier scents available. In terms of vibe, I'm reminded of CdG's Kyoto, a kind of wispy, easy incense, except Erotique is softer and less urban. And like Kyoto, this is an easy to wear scent that departs from the mainstream. Not very elicit but certainly not your typical celebrity offering.

I have a wall full of shelves filled with Body sprays, lotions, minis...and a bureau covered in moderate to expensive perfumes and travel sprays that I NEVER WEAR! And all because I decided one day to mix it up and wear something I had never worn before. I was picking my husband up for work one night, and after he opened the car door, before he even got inside the car...he said WHAT IS THAT YOU HAVE ON? I LOOOVE IT! Well....that was all I needed to hear. What was I wearing? M.A.C. TURQUOTIC!! I actually like to layer this with Juliette has a gun NOT A PERFUME. I have heard many a whisper from people when I walk by about how good I smell.

@iraqiwife Always nice to rediscover an old gem in the stash 🙂

I was wearing ELDO Soul Of My Soul yesterday. And I am wearing it again today. Oh, my. This is very nice. I am really enjoying it. The opening is a rush of bergamot, incense and fresh/green rose. Aromatic and super uplifting. Airy, sparkly and wonderful. But it quickly turns deeper and richer with soft suede and orris, beautifully combined, taking over. Then sandalwood, vanilla and musk emerge and give the whole composition this sensual tone. With that incense still lingering around it all, and muted bergamot and rose in the background. It's just beautiful. Soft, smooth, creamy and dreamy. And everything is just so nicely put together, nothing sticks out, all notes nicely blended into each other. Not even powder bothers me. And it is kind of powdery. It plays so well with everything else, I guess it doesn't even manage to offend my nose. 😄

The rose disappears somewhere along the way...

The drydown is woods. Creamy sandalwood, then sharp woods, musk, touch of vanilla and tonka.

I wish the middle part of the ride lasted forever... It's so beautiful!

It has a pretty good sillage, and superb longevity on me. It lasted all day. Leftovers on my shirt today are strong and sharp masculine scent. It didn't smell anything like that on my skin ( or my shirt ) yesterday. 

Oh. This is not a rose scent. I was kind of expecting just that given the previous offerings from the line. But nope.

Once again not your usual ELDO ( this seems to be the case with all fragrances in this collection. ) Just... beautiful and sensual.Dreamy keeps popping into my mind when thinking about it.ELDO fans who love their playful and experimental side will probably be disappointed by this one. But I am not. It's pretty, and it's easily wearable, and I don't mind it one bit. I was sniffing myself all day yesterday like a weirdo. 😄 Couldn't get enough of it.

@RavenR - Your description is wonderful!  Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, @Titian06 ! I am surprised by how much I love it! It is just dreamy!

@RavenR Wow, thanks for sharing! I'm glad this worked out so well for you! I'm not a big fan of powder either. I've had to become pickier about which fragrances to try since the lockdown made it impossible for me to try out testers in stores. I'll have to add this to the testing list 🙂

Same here, @pocketvenus . I've only ordered a few samples here and there ever since the apocalypse has started. I am mostly just going through my already existing sample stash again, and for the most parts don't even want to know what new is going on. It's easier that way. Kind of. 😄 

I am really enjoying this one. I did not expect to love it as much as I do. Wanted to give it some more wear to see how I really feel about it, and if it warrants a bottle... but I've been stricken with a darn migraine, so that's out of the question for now. Soon, hopefully. I just wish they made smaller sizes. I really don't need another large one. I am not a collector. And I hate being wasteful. But... 😫

@RavenR I hear you, I always try to buy travel size for the same reason. ELdO makes 10ml and 30ml bottles, but it's only for their most popular scents.

Same here. I know. I wish they did that for all their frags. But I kind of doubt they will ever do even 50 ml for these... I am not even sure if these are permanent, or LE? I asked ELDO directly, and they gave me some no-answer answer, we don't know at this point. Maybe they are. Maybe they are not. We are being mysterious and secretive. Blah blah. Wow. Whatever. 

@pocketvenus 

@RavenR Thanks for the update! Hard to tell what's going on with this line

Burrow is the easier, straightforward scent of the Proportion series by Libertine. It's a smouldering fragrance with a rich sweetness that's quite gentle and comforting. Like Chlorophyllia, it's also photorealistic.

Proportion-11_60ad4985-cdcc-43d9-84b7-652e080f6e20_1200x

The opening begins on a rich, burnished mid-tone. It's very nutty and is quickly joined by smoky, spicy embers. Before long, the sticky pulp of fresh, dried dates burst onto the scene. I know fresh and dried sounds like an oxymoron, but if you have ever tasted fresh, high quality dried Mazafati dates, you will know what I'm talking about. At this point, it's mainly a date fragrance on my skin, smoky and sweet. I was expecting the vetiver to be more assertive, more green and grassy, but no, it mainly provides its smoky character which is an easier match to the other notes. Grounded, pleasant, and linear into the dry down.

@pocketvenus - You're making me hungry!  Actually, this one sounds nice for when you want something different or you just don't know what you want to wear.  🤷‍♀️

testing