Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Thank you, @Titian06 !

Haha! Yep. Why can't they just make a scent like that, eh?! A lot of us would benefit from it. 😛 

erotique-kv

I'm testing Dita von Teese's Erotique today. This scent is now discontinued so it's pretty pricey to purchase relative to what it used to retail for, US$75 for 75ml.

If you can't tell from my photo, that's Dita, she is totally my glam muse  I don't have a vintage style like her, I just appreciate how she embraces the rituals, artifice, and daily commitment to beauty. And her attention to diversity. Her lingerie line for example has a pretty wide size range for an indie brand.

Anyway. I'd read good things about her perfumes and how they are a cut about most celebrity lines. She's very into perfume and has stated in multiple interviews that she dislikes clean scents, fruity florals and gourmands. If I recall correctly, her favourites include Serge Lutens, Quelques Fleurs, and other vintage scents.

Regarding her celebrity releases, Ms. VT reported in a Forbes interview that '“I struggled constantly with my old company. They wanted to do stuff like put feathers on the bottle, when I wanted to talk about elegance, beauty and the simplicity of the fragrance." She has repeatedly stated that she wanted to produce perfumes that reflected her own tastes and to be mature, devoid of sugar and vanilla and she clearly got her way there but it seems she also experienced a lot of pressure to compromise.

Dita-Von-Teese_Erotique-Perfume-by-Albert-Sanchez-Pedro-Zalba

Erotique is described as "an aphrodisiac accomplishment; a carnal blend of floral sensuality with an exquisite note of leather that evokes erotic mysticism." Does it live up to its hype?

I have to admit, Erotique is not at all carnal to my nose. A lot of reviews mention eroticism and risk and darkness but I'm just not smelling it here. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not clean or youthful, but it is pretty tame compared to the ad copy or at least, other perfumes based on a rose-leather concept like Malle's Rose & Cuir or Hermes' Gallop. It may well be Ms. VT wanted something more challenging but the bean counters wouldn't permit it. There's a little growl of a rougher leather in the opening but it fades out quickly and to be honest, it's too scratchy and synthetic to be enjoyable. I wouldn't even call this a leather. Mainly there is a floral opening with that brief synthetic leather that dries down to something very soft and woody with the suggestion of smoke. It's also not bristlingly spicy compared to other, spicier scents available. In terms of vibe, I'm reminded of CdG's Kyoto, a kind of wispy, easy incense, except Erotique is softer and less urban. And like Kyoto, this is an easy to wear scent that departs from the mainstream. Not very elicit but certainly not your typical celebrity offering.

I have a wall full of shelves filled with Body sprays, lotions, minis...and a bureau covered in moderate to expensive perfumes and travel sprays that I NEVER WEAR! And all because I decided one day to mix it up and wear something I had never worn before. I was picking my husband up for work one night, and after he opened the car door, before he even got inside the car...he said WHAT IS THAT YOU HAVE ON? I LOOOVE IT! Well....that was all I needed to hear. What was I wearing? M.A.C. TURQUOTIC!! I actually like to layer this with Juliette has a gun NOT A PERFUME. I have heard many a whisper from people when I walk by about how good I smell.

@iraqiwife Always nice to rediscover an old gem in the stash 🙂

I was wearing ELDO Soul Of My Soul yesterday. And I am wearing it again today. Oh, my. This is very nice. I am really enjoying it. The opening is a rush of bergamot, incense and fresh/green rose. Aromatic and super uplifting. Airy, sparkly and wonderful. But it quickly turns deeper and richer with soft suede and orris, beautifully combined, taking over. Then sandalwood, vanilla and musk emerge and give the whole composition this sensual tone. With that incense still lingering around it all, and muted bergamot and rose in the background. It's just beautiful. Soft, smooth, creamy and dreamy. And everything is just so nicely put together, nothing sticks out, all notes nicely blended into each other. Not even powder bothers me. And it is kind of powdery. It plays so well with everything else, I guess it doesn't even manage to offend my nose. 😄

The rose disappears somewhere along the way...

The drydown is woods. Creamy sandalwood, then sharp woods, musk, touch of vanilla and tonka.

I wish the middle part of the ride lasted forever... It's so beautiful!

It has a pretty good sillage, and superb longevity on me. It lasted all day. Leftovers on my shirt today are strong and sharp masculine scent. It didn't smell anything like that on my skin ( or my shirt ) yesterday. 

Oh. This is not a rose scent. I was kind of expecting just that given the previous offerings from the line. But nope.

Once again not your usual ELDO ( this seems to be the case with all fragrances in this collection. ) Just... beautiful and sensual.Dreamy keeps popping into my mind when thinking about it.ELDO fans who love their playful and experimental side will probably be disappointed by this one. But I am not. It's pretty, and it's easily wearable, and I don't mind it one bit. I was sniffing myself all day yesterday like a weirdo. 😄 Couldn't get enough of it.

@RavenR - Your description is wonderful!  Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, @Titian06 ! I am surprised by how much I love it! It is just dreamy!

@RavenR Wow, thanks for sharing! I'm glad this worked out so well for you! I'm not a big fan of powder either. I've had to become pickier about which fragrances to try since the lockdown made it impossible for me to try out testers in stores. I'll have to add this to the testing list 🙂

Same here, @pocketvenus . I've only ordered a few samples here and there ever since the apocalypse has started. I am mostly just going through my already existing sample stash again, and for the most parts don't even want to know what new is going on. It's easier that way. Kind of. 😄 

I am really enjoying this one. I did not expect to love it as much as I do. Wanted to give it some more wear to see how I really feel about it, and if it warrants a bottle... but I've been stricken with a darn migraine, so that's out of the question for now. Soon, hopefully. I just wish they made smaller sizes. I really don't need another large one. I am not a collector. And I hate being wasteful. But... 😫

@RavenR I hear you, I always try to buy travel size for the same reason. ELdO makes 10ml and 30ml bottles, but it's only for their most popular scents.

Same here. I know. I wish they did that for all their frags. But I kind of doubt they will ever do even 50 ml for these... I am not even sure if these are permanent, or LE? I asked ELDO directly, and they gave me some no-answer answer, we don't know at this point. Maybe they are. Maybe they are not. We are being mysterious and secretive. Blah blah. Wow. Whatever. 

@pocketvenus 

@RavenR Thanks for the update! Hard to tell what's going on with this line

Burrow is the easier, straightforward scent of the Proportion series by Libertine. It's a smouldering fragrance with a rich sweetness that's quite gentle and comforting. Like Chlorophyllia, it's also photorealistic.

Proportion-11_60ad4985-cdcc-43d9-84b7-652e080f6e20_1200x

The opening begins on a rich, burnished mid-tone. It's very nutty and is quickly joined by smoky, spicy embers. Before long, the sticky pulp of fresh, dried dates burst onto the scene. I know fresh and dried sounds like an oxymoron, but if you have ever tasted fresh, high quality dried Mazafati dates, you will know what I'm talking about. At this point, it's mainly a date fragrance on my skin, smoky and sweet. I was expecting the vetiver to be more assertive, more green and grassy, but no, it mainly provides its smoky character which is an easier match to the other notes. Grounded, pleasant, and linear into the dry down.

@pocketvenus - You're making me hungry!  Actually, this one sounds nice for when you want something different or you just don't know what you want to wear.  🤷‍♀️

@Titian06 It is really nice and gives a real warm and comforting vibe. It might be a little rich for the summer but totally fine if you spritz lightly I think! Definitely more versatile than some of the more aggressively spicy smoky scents I've tried.

I realize this was posted quite a long time ago but it's SUCH a great idea. I have a ton of neglected perfume, both full sized bottles and sample sizes. I adore fragrance. I just need to make myself switch it up a bit. Who knows, I may just find a new favorite!

Testing one of the newest releases by Libertine, Chlorophyllia. From the house's LE Proportion series. I got samples for both scents and will be reviewing Burrow later.

Proportionsamplesetgraphics_2000x

Chlorophyllia captures the first melt of spring with startling accuracy. The scent is truly aquatic, not in that awful 90s calone, "sea breeze" sense, but in a visceral, photorealistic sense. Everything is damp, the icicles are dripping, the snow banks are melting.

The opening is bright and striking. It's a Vent Vert level of green that manages to be higher pitched yet gentler. I'd say it's a neon green except that suggests a kind of harsh, artificial brightness when in fact, it recalls to mind the kind of warm, neon green you see when foliage is backlit by the sun. It lacks the harsh edges of more traditional green perfumes, instead imparting an approachable vibe I associate with this house. The opening is further mellowed out with a rooty orris. Orris can become overly candied or brutally dust-dry on my skin, but mercifully, with Chlorophyllia, the orris retains a balanced, earthy character.

As we enter the heart of the fragrance, the ylang ylang asserts itself and the fragrance reaches its most difficult phase. White florals can be challenging because of their indoles, chemicals involved in the scents of decomposition, halitosis, excrement and other unsavory smells. I've found that Libertine really shies away from anything skanky but here, when I draw my nose close there is an unexpected pissy quality to the ylang ylang. If I take my nose further away, there is more of an impression of waterlogged flowers, delicate soggy petals that are breaking down in fresh water, almost like fresh cut blooms that have been macerated and are decaying in water. It's not exactly pretty and this stage lasts for some time.

The scent becomes truly lovely in the dry down as the ylang ylang becomes less assertive and the complexity of the vetiver starts to come through. It blends seamlessly with the other notes, such that I would not call this a vetiver scent like the ad copy suggests. I would describe it as the male lead in a pas de deux with the orris. The vetiver here is a rich and variegated jade green that carries all the pungency and complexity of vetiver essential oil. Dries down to wet earth, a touch of smoke, jade vetiver and the memory of water-logged florals.

A fantastic effort, creative and honest, one of the best fragrances I have smelled in a very long time.

Anyone had a chance to try ELDO Soul Of My Soul? What is it like? How do you like it?

@RavenR I'd love to hear other people's thoughts too, the notes sound great

@pocketvenus I ordered a sample yesterday. Hopefully it'll be here asap! Can't wait! The powdery aspect of it is worrying me a bit ( some reviews say it's pretty powdery ), but I am hoping it won't be overwhelming on me. I hope it's subtle and well blended with other stuff. I really dislike dominant powder scents. Usually. Oh, well. I guess we'll see soon. In any case, I agree; the notes sound great, and worth giving it a shot!

I've tried Amouage's Ashore a couple more times and there's something in it that tweaks me the wrong way. I had better luck with Meander, which is more sweet and less aromatic than I expected from the notes pyramid.

o.96192

I suppose because this is marketed as a masculine scent, I was expecting something completely different, especially with its emphasis on frankincense. This is a soft scent with an almost gummy like or creamy texture, rather than something resinous. The carrot in the notes pyramid made me think of earthy iris but the sweetness of it really comes out in Meander to the point where it's almost candied.

It's nice which is not a word I'd associate with Amouage. It does not at all impart the kind of vegetal earthiness referenced in the ad copy. Those words make me think of scents like French Lover, Coven, actually earthy scents. When I let go of expectations, it's a pleasant wear.

7 Replies