Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

How do I find the Sephora sample section would love to get some samples I am a sample lover.

@Tina30219 A lot of the brands have sample sets you can order! I love getting the sample sets. Just check out gift sets or scroll through the various brands. 

@Tina30219  So, I stopped by my Sephora today after I haven't been there in forever, and asked about fragrance samples. They are not making them anymore because of the virus... But they still have testers and you can try them on yourself or on paper. 

I guess your best bet is to stalk Rewards Bazaar or GWPs, as @pocketvenus mentioned. Or you can order samples on some of many fragrance samples web sites. But those are not free. 

@Tina30219 You go to any Sephora store that carries fragrances, and ask SA to make you sample/s. It used to be up to 3 samples in my store before the apocalypse. I don't know if that is still the case now. Haven't stopped by in forever. It also depends on stores, SAs, this, that... But it won't hurt to ask. 🙂

Thank you was not sure if it was something that was online or not.

@Tina30219 Sometimes manufacturer's perfume samples show up as Beauty Insider Rewards or the GWP Beauty Offers but these are pretty random. 

A sample of Tom Ford's Rose Prick found its way to me recently, and I've been testing it last few days. This might be the first TF fragrance I really like. I am really, really enjoying this. Which is a shocker to me. A rose! ( Not a fan, but something strange's been going on lately... ) It's a beautiful, warm, spicy, musky rose. There's even some wood later on. At first it is a blast of fresh, green, rose. Then spices emerge and take over pushing the rose to the background. After a while the whole thing turns musky, tad powdery ( not much ), softer, and a bit woody. With spices still going strong, and the constant rose in the background. Not dominant, but not quiet, either. I like the rollercoaster and how it is all mixed together so wonderfully. Simply beautiful! Kind of old fashioned rose made modern. It smells like both at the same, if that even make any sense. Whatever and in any case; it really speaks to me. So much so that I am thinking about getting me a travel size to properly test it and see if it warrants the full size bottle. 

Oh. Don't let the pink bottle fool you - this is not a super feminine scent. At least not on me. It leans almost masculine on me. And I love it! 

@RavenR Thanks for your review.  I've had my eye on this one.

You're welcome, @ragdoll4mom ! Let us know what you think if you try it! I am curious to hear other people's thoughts on it. 

@RavenR @ragdoll4mom I was surprized with this one, I didn't find it rose forward as implied by the name. Instead, the tonka really came to the fore for me. I seem to recall it being earthy and powdery too.

@pocketvenus Thanks for the info.  I dislike fragrances with a powdery scent.  Reminds me of Loves Baby Soft perfume that was so popular when I was a teen.

@ragdoll4mom I don't like powdery fragrances, either. At all! This one has just a touch of powder on me. So little, actually, that I keep thinking is it there, or am I imagining it? Nothing major, and totally ok even with me. I usually really can't stand powdery scents. It would be the best if you could get a sample and try it because you know how fragrances can smell and develop so differently on different people. 

@ragdoll4mom You're welcome! I'm not a huge fan of powder either.

@pocketvenus  Yes, definitely not rose forward like one would think based on the name alone. Maybe that's what "prick" part is about. 😄 

@RavenR 🤣 I think you're right!!!

libertine-fragrance-perfume-libertine-fragrance-fin-de-siecle-19273687269542

Libertine Fragrance's Fin de Siecle is a rose-forward chypre. Opens with black currents that are rendered realistically, tart and dark but paired with a sweetness that prevents the note from being puckering. Immediately after, citrus flares and brightens the scene. A lush, dewy, luminous rose blooms until it dominates and anchors the scent, and it continues to do so right into the dry down. As the scent develops, heavier notes emerge and it is shaded in by patchouli and hints of the bitterness of oakmoss and the barest suggestion of animalism. Like other Libertines, I find animalistic notes in its fragrances are never challenging, ranging from tender to barely perceptible. An excellent choice for rose lovers who want something versatile, polished and a little romantic.

What is this Libertine I would lime

to know more about it and possibly get samples from them as well.

Received some samples from Libertine Fragrance today and tested the first couple samples today 🙂

libertine-fragrance-perfume-libertine-fragrance-troubled-spirits-19273724985510

Gilded is a sweet, spicy fragrance with an absolute stunner of an opening. It's a fantastic blend of bright citrus and fragrant and greenish cardamom that's lit up and rounded out with the warmth of cinnamon. I love cardamom and this first phase is just a joy to smell. I wish this phase lasted forever. The dry down starts to introduce a resinous character that becomes darker and sweeter and at this point there's an excellent balance between the bright, buoyant top notes and the low thrum of sweet notes from below. However, the the scent continues to develop and those bright notes fade, the gilded light begins to dull and feel a little flat and uneven, as if you turned a vase and noticed a glaring spot that went unpolished. I noticed though, where I sprayed twice, the dullness is much less pronounced so I think the trick here is adjusting the volume. The dry down is very sweet, but never in a harsh way. Great projection that lasted through the day. In the last phase of the fragrance, the toffee, burnt sugar notes of immortelle dominate although it's always soft around the edges. It's ultimately too sweet for me ultimately but what an opening for a cardamom lovers!

With its mellow sweetness and deep rich shades, Troubled Spirits definitely feels like an autumnal fragrance to me. Having said that, it's too abstract to conjure up specific images of burning leaves or medlar apples, rather it offers an olfactory palette of autumn colours. Opens with a smoky, gentle and fermented sweetness paired with a touch of a pungent, organic decay, like waterlogged wood. It keeps the scent interesting and from falling into cliched territory. As TS develops, it takes on a more comforting side as a cuddly vanilla and warm amber enter the scene and infuses the wood with a creamy, boozy character. I think fans of scents like Jeke, Broken Theories, Holy Mountain, and sweet oriental ambery scents will enjoy this.

@pocketvenus Gilded sounds very nice.

@pocketvenus - The opening of Gilded sounds so nice!  I just can't do sweet.  Oh, well...

2 Replies