Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

I tried the Jo Malone lavender trio yesterday. The coriander lavender is probably the most versatile of the three. Easy to wear, dewy and aromatic, itโ€™s the most lavender-forward one. In the Wisteria fragrance, traditional girly spring florals overpower the lavender. Silver birch is also lavender forward, but it is edgier/cooler.

I also tried TF's Rose Prck. Its rosy opening is softened and blurred with tonka. The dry down gets pretty tonka-heavy but instead of going in an overly sweet or dense direction, this is countered with an earthiness Iโ€™ll attribute to the turmeric and pepper. As such, this a more mature rose than what the notes pyramid would suggest but it's nothing terribly exciting. @blackkitty2014 this is definitely not a fresh, luminous rose. The opening is quite rosy but the tonka really comes out strong in the drydown. There are scents that are more of a straightforward rose than this.

@pocketvenus Thx for the feedback on both JM and TF. I think I need to go sniff it next time when Iโ€™m around a department store or something ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿฅฐ (but I have a feeling I wouldnโ€™t like this)I havenโ€™t bought a TF perfume liked forever after Noir de Noir. I was hoping one day the house will release a smoky scent kinda similar to Jasmine Rouge but with rose scent instead of Jasmine. Jasmine Rouge is still my favorite perfume from TF

@blackkitty2014 Unfortunately, RP's dominant character to me was from the tonka, so not smoky or peppery. Jasmine Rouge is lovely โค๏ธ

@pocketvenus I was so very curious about that TF fragrance.  I was hoping for something musky and dank with my rose scent--kind of like Miss Havisham's party table. lol  

Thanks for posting, as always.

@tinobiscuits Happy to share! RP has some earthiness but it's definitely not musky or dank. It doesn't have rose but a Miss Haversham party table kind of makes me think of Myths Woman by Amouage. The whole mood is 100% backstage Edith Piaf to me.

@pocketvenus 

"Some earthiness" warrants a test spritz, I think!  My Tom Ford counters are woefully under-stocked here, though.  I love that I can say something like Miss Havisham's party table and you have a recommendation on the ready.  I will look up Myths Woman.  It sounds divine.  Thanks again!

@tinobiscuits you're very welcome! I can't say I have a recommendation for every literary figure but she is a standout, just like Myths ๐Ÿ™‚

@pocketvenus I was curious about the Jo Malone; thanks for the reviews! I love lavender, but I definitely think of it as more of a linen spray than a perfume, but curious about the coriander and birch fragrances.

@txcatx Yes, it's so common in scents for the bath and bed, the association is strong! I sort of feel this way about lilac soliflores, I associate lilacs with french soap.

Today I'm wearing Eau de Gaya by Ameenah Oudh. It's from their pricier exclusive line and unlike the Crassna which is mainly a fruity oud with a sandalwood base, this line is focused on oud blends.

Gaya leans masculine. Opens with gingery-spicy woods alongside the oud which imparts depth. But it's very different from say, TF's Oud Wood which is a fresh cleaned-up oud. Unfortunately, the bottles are not as pretty, just plain rectangular glass with a glossy black label.

ameenah.jpg

Picked up a bottle of Crassna Royale by Ameenah Oudh which is an lovely oudh scent. It is ridiculously cheap at CA$55 for 50ml. The quality of the perfume is stunning. For real oud lovers, this one is rich and fruity with a hint of blue cheese. No sharp synthetic edges. I couldn't find any information on it or a notes pyramid. The smell of the oudh suggests to me that it's from SE Asia as opposed to India or China? Regardless of origin, this easily surpasses the Kilian and Kurkdjian ouds in quality. Holds its own with the Malles except 50ml of Dawn will set you back CA$1,265. There was also a jasmine one that was chock full of what smelled to me like jasmine sambac. Utterly gorgeous. Right up there with Lutens Sarassins or way more expensive scents. My mind was blown. My mind is still blown!! The fluted bottles are very pretty too โค๏ธ

I have tried many fragrances while I was away. I'll try to keep things brief

• Diptyque Eau Capital. This is a rose chypre but it doesn't have all the edges of a chypre. If you are thinking this will be very traditional, it's actually quite modern in sensibility. A little disappointing for someone hoping for an old school scent
  • Bulgari Thรฉ Noir. Luca Turin gave this 5 stars in his last review. I don't know if that just pushed my expectations impossibly sky high but I was underwhelmed. It's quite pleasant but far wispier and less smoky than I'd wanted. Very glad I didn't blind buy
  • Parfums de Nicolai New York Intense. Another Turin recommendation but this one I fully agreed with. Although his description of it as a "biscuit" made me think it's a gourmand. It's not, but it's well balanced, citrusy and spicy with a base that's just rich enough.
  • PdN Fig Tea. Very pleasant fig perfume, soft and rounded, fruity suede.
  • Jo Malone Vetiver & Golden Vanilla. Typical of the house, accurate name and easy to wear. I still much prefer Etat Libre's Fat Electrician for my vetiver vanilla fix.
  • Serge Lutens' Sarassins. Beautiful night jasmine with leathery facets on the dry down. This one is really fantastic though I have read a lot about reformulations at SL. If this was even better in the past, I'm really impressed!
  • Vintage Rochas Femme. I bought this from Surrender to Chance which didn't give a year but I know this is a post-1989/Olivier Cresp reformulation because the cumin is undeniably in your face. God, how to describe this stunning fruity chypre?? It was swoon worthy. Eyes rolling into the back of your head good. I could bathe in it. I need more of this in my life.
  • Vintage YSL Opium. STC gave me the year for this but not on the sample itself and I've forgotten how old it is. It smells like the 80s is all I can say. It's HUGE. I was hoping to truly love this but it just smells very good to me. The notes shift in the dry down and the sandalwood is wonderfully rich. It's a good perfume! But ultimately, it's like looking at a gorgeous dress that will never suit nor flatter you.

@pocketvenus My GWP Eau Capital will arrive tomorrow. Iโ€™m kinda excited to try it out but I get scared at the same time. So many reviewers comparing it with Portrait of a lady. I hate that one lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have a feeling this will be another Diptyque that will go to mr blackkitty stash ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

@blackkitty2014  I've read that too! It's been so long since I smelled POAL, I don't remember what it smells like beyond rosy... It's so popular, but like you, I wasn't moved by it. Hopefully you'll find someone to enjoy the gwp, maybe it'll surprize you ๐Ÿ™‚

@pocketvenus - I love your description, "it's like looking at a gorgeous dress that will never suit nor flatter you."  I can identify with that!

@Titian06 โค๏ธ

I tried some of the new LUSH scents on paper including

• Rose Jam, exactly what the name says, a very jammy rose
  • American Cream, smells like the other products of the same name. Not a true strawberry scent, more like a creamy, abstractly candied strawberry.
  • Lord of Misrule, patchouli spice, very earthy

I'm wearing my latest addition to my perfume collection quite often.  I quite like it.  I got compliment right away after testing it in store.  It's a bit strong at first spray.  Longevity is quite decent (about 4 hrs for me) ๐Ÿ˜‰  I like this Chanel collection.  I think i will get the Paris-Venise next.

PARIS-RIVIERA - fragrance - 4.2FL. OZ. - Default view

That's great, @blackkitty2014 !  I'm glad you found something you like so well!  ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–

Arg, the board just ate all my thoughts about Malle's The Moon and Lutens' La Couche du Diable ๐Ÿ˜ž

In short, The Moon is a barnyard oud that's got a blue cheese pungency going on enhanced by tart-sweet berries that's too loud for my taste. Diable is very similar to earlier oriental Lutens with a stewed fruit sweetness paired with smoky incense and I find it to be a nice evening wear.

I wore Vanille Galante Hermessence today. This probably fall on the category of fragrances I find really interesting, but probably will never own a full size bottle of it. Thankfully the Hermessence samples are generously sized.

For me this is a sunny salt water fragrance with banana (possibly the ylang ylang) and vanilla - not dessert like at all. It's an uplifting sheer veil of fragrance.

testing