Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Trying Byredo's Slow Dance today. It's a sweet ambery scent, pretty tame and nondescript. By Jerome Epinette, the same nose behind Byredo's Eleventh Hour, Bal d'Afrique and others, as well as the houses Floral Street and Ellis Brooklyn.

I was given a sample of Eleventh Hour which I never bothered to test on my skin. Upon smelling it, I realize I was too dismissive and didn't give this scent enough of a chance the first time around. It opens with a well-balanced combination of tart apple, earthy fig, sweet woods. Heavier than is typical for the house with a sweet and woody dry down. A nice wear for the fall.

barneys-new-york-byredo-eleventh-hour-eau-de-parfum-2

@pocketvenus 

I own this one and love it! (I love the name and inspiration behind it too - I always had a flair for the dramatic lol). I purchased when I was in France, so significantly cheaper than on our side of the pond. 

@pocketvenus ooh this one sounds lovely.

@Samtianyes, it's totally wearable! Though my bottom line is at Byredo's prices, I'd rather buy something more unique or buy something versatile from a cheaper house.

Tried Valentino's Born in Roma. It's a totally generic fruity floral - a pass for me.

Have been pretty busy lately and not able to try a lot of new perfumes nevermind report back on them! Here's what I tried this weekend

• Le Labo Bigarade 18. A new city exclusive release for Hong Kong. To be honest, I thought this was awful. The opening was a typical heady neroli-tangerine but the drydown was all dense and horrible white musks. It gave me a headache. To give a counter review, Perolaise found this fresh and a great, long-lasting cologne. I personally found it overbearingly loud and amorphous, not at all fresh.
  • Le Labo Tabac 28. I definitely liked this one much more. Slightly spicy and not overly sweet. Gentler in sillage and far less long lasting than Bigarade.
  • Saje Shanti. A gorgeous fresh jasmine with a little spice. The only problem is, it doesn't last at all. It's barely noticeable after 60 minutes. Hilariously, their stress relief remedy rollerball last longer.

4349_WB

Oh my.  Today I'm wearing Montale Ristretto Intense Cafe, and when I initially tried this, I did not care for it at all.  But I revisit fragrances quite a bit, and all of my full bottles (with exception to JM Wild Bluebell) I initially did not like.

This is the first Montale I've tried, and it has changed my mind on my idea of rose and coffee, both notes which I generally do not veer towards.  This has a robust espresso opening and soon the rose notes push through with a perfect blend.  The coffee is not so distinct, but rather blended so well and it evokes a deep rose scent.  I smell the amber and musk moreso at dry down.  It's classified as gourmand, but I don't think it's overtly sweet or edible.  I envision myself at a Parisian cafe, outside w/ my espresso, surrounded by rose bushes in the late fall.  There's a romantic, French like vibe I get from this... like a woman who is classy, yet not overdone, a simple beauty.  However, I can see this as unisex, even with the floral aspect.  Performance and sillage are incredible, as I would expect from an Extrait concentration.  $210/100mL

Montale's website states, "Intense Café Ristretto opens with a perfect waft of fresh brewing coffee that will take your breath away. The flourish of the coffee bean is paired with a fresh, vegetal rose. The two combine for an unexpectedly dry and refreshing top note.As the coffee softens, a vanillic white musk emerges, slightly sweetening the brew with just a hint of cream and sugar. This addictive and surprising gourmand is suitable for both men and women and is the perfect fix for the coffee addict in all of us."

... and I agree.  This is worth sampling.  

Tried the new L'Artisan Le Chant de Camargue today. It's interesting, but not really my style at all. It doesn't evoke rice or earth for me, although it's quite milky. Rather, I get citrus, a milky texture that's gently salinated and white musk. Which I'm guessing is the "sandalwood." I really loathe white musk. It's not for me.

image-slideshow-le-chant-de-camargue-1

In a better trial, I also tried Ella by Arquiste. Wow!!! It's everything I wish Tom Ford's Vert de Fleur and Vert Boheme could have been. A gorgeous green floral chypre that's very easy to wear. Edgy galbanum is played off warm florals, amber,  a whorl of smoke and a touch of animalism. Wonderful!

1K8A2652_1920x

@pocketvenus - Ella sounds really nice!

@Titian06I really like it! It's funny, noticing more 70s/retro styled fragrances lately. Especially in Tom Ford with the verts and fougeres. I guess fragrance cycles through retro trends much more slowly than fashion?

Interesting thought, @pocketvenus!  Speaking of Tom Ford and fougere, today I tried Costa Azzurra Acqua.  The notes are juniper berry, lemon, and oakwood extract.  What I smelled was...um...well...warm?  Is warm a scent?  It was barely noticeable.  Before leaving for work, I sprayed Commodity Leather.

@Titian06temperature is definitely a great way to describe scents 🙂

Today I wore Tocca Maya.  The notes are wild iris, black currant, and patchouli heart.  Once I put it on, I could smell something was there, but I couldn't tell what it was.  I kept putting more on, but that didn't increase the scent.  I'm going to give this one to a friend.

Yesterday I wore Mazzolari Vaniglia.  It is a linear, smooth, straightforward vanilla fragrance consisting of 3 notes - Vanilla, Caramel, and Orchid.  The caramel note provides a glazed sweetness and both the caramel and vanilla never become to cloying,  plasticky or harsh.  It smells in the same vein as Outremer Vanila (sold at Anthropologie), but this is much more refined and potent.  For reference, this gets compared to Indolt Tihota, which I have not tried.  Honestly, it smells like one of those vanilla tree car air fresheners, but with creamy caramel.  My boyfriend said, “it smells like vape juice” but take that with a grain of salt.  This is a gourmand, but not too literal that you smell edible (I realize I do not like these type of scents, ie. Solani Buonissimo, which I’ll review next).  This does NOT lean in any way powdery, boozy, smoky, dusty, floral, herbal, or spicy.  This is pure vanilla and creamy caramel done in simple, yet beautiful, grown up way.  It does not smell cheap or juvenile.

On the skin, I can see it has more oil than most EDP concentrations; you see the oil on the skin when applied which may contribute to its outstanding longevity (8-10 hrs).  Sillage is moderate at first, and then becomes a comforting, skin scent.  I have gotten compliments already.  

It could be an all seasons wear, but I would wear this in the autumn/winter months.  If you like an unobstructed vanilla, I would def. try this.  Simple, versatile, and great performance.  

$200/100mL#

The Perfume Challenge

I've been stalking the Commodity Colognes when they came back in stock at Sephora. I was a so happy when Rain came back in stock. Then Mimosa came in stock and had great reviews. Someone advised to mix those to together. Love the mixture! Thanks for whomever posted that under the Mimosa review 🙂

@Luvstravel - I'm glad you were able to get one of the Commodity scents!  I picked up Vetiver.  I tried it out, but got a little carried away with the sprayer--oops!  Today I tried it with Juliette Has a Gun Moscow Mule.  I think they cancelled each other out.  😄

@Titian06, I picked up Rain and Mimosa in the 3.4 oz. Alr...

@Titian06, I picked up Rain and Mimosa in the 3.4 oz. Already purchased Bergamot in 3.4 oz last sale then I also purchased the variety pack of the scents that was on sale for $14. So I've purchased a pretty good assortment of the scents now. I might try to layer some more with my sample set.

Well ladies and gents, my samples came in and I’ve been testing them on my skin the past few days.  After testing them on paper, I had a general idea of a top 4 & bottom 4.  On skin that idea was confirmed:

1. Baccarat Rouge 540

2. Vaniglia 

3. Bal d’Afrique

4. Naxos

5. Love Don’t be Shy

6. Ristretto Cafe Intense

7. Buonissimo 

8. Paris LA

I will have separate posts for one or two at a time to report a concise review each day this week. 👍🏽

@modernwarpaintvery curious to hear what you think 🙂

@modernwarpaint - Looking forward to your reviews!

testing