Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

That’s how I imagined I would prioritize them, even though I have never smelled them. Looking forward to your reviews.

Today I tried Byredo Rose of No Man It’s a woodsy fragrance with a true sweet rose in the background. Like a winter forest of leafless trees that has managed to keep one rose bush warm and she blooming her heart out. It’s a dark take on rose. At first I thought the scent was underwhelming by the silage increase in the dry down. 

43BB7213-47C7-49AD-96F0-E83F505AD65F.jpeg

I placed a sample order on Luckyscent.  I’m excited to try these and report my thoughts. Have you guys tried any of these?  Thoughts?

That’s an exciting sample haul

@modernwarpaintnice sample haul! The Byredo is very easygoing. A little sweet and spicy, overall quite clean. The MFK is by contrast, very sweet and heavy wearing.

Also looking forward to hearing your thoughts!! 🙂

@modernwarpaint - I live a sheltered life when it comes to perfumes.  I've never heard of any of these.  Looking forward to your reviews!  💖💖💖

@Titian06  That makes two of us! 😁

Tested Tuscan Leather Intense and Métallique by Tom Ford today. TLI features a wonderfully pronounced juicy, jammy raspberry note. M smells great on paper with aldehydes and creamy heliotrope but on my skin it’s a gummy vanilla nougat with no edges that just grows drier.

I like dramatic intensity of the Tom Ford house.

@pocketvenus I smelled Metallique on paper and wasn’t intrigued enough to try it on.  It had a weird note that I couldn’t place that came off powdery and aldehydic.

Tried Dusita's Fleur de Lalita and L'Artisan Parfumeur's Dzing! on the skin for the first time. I liked them both 🙂

perfume-dusita-fleur-de-lalita-2

Lalita is an achingly beautiful fragrance pairing seemingly innocent, pretty, milky florals with smoky galbanum and salty-skin like ambergris. If only it lasted longer! Dries down to a skin scent within 1.5 hours. Alas!

375x500.1953

Dzing! is a circus-inspired fragrance that's kind of legendary. I can't believe it took me this long to do a skin test. It has a briefly dirty opening that gives way to a smooth, horsey leather and soft caramel just as promised. But other than the opening, it's a bit too well behaved to me. I was expecting something more, I don't know, tacky or grotesque. Maybe because I had circuses of yore in mind. A spectacle to distract, carny acts swindling viewers, freak shows. Oh, and animal performances that border on cruelty. Dzing! is a little weird but largely benign and innocent. So much so, it makes me wonder if it's been badly reformulated.

Dzing sounds interesting I enjoy a good leather note 

Today I sprayed Ariana Grande Cloud 😂  on me at Ulta.  It smells sweet, fluffy, fruity.  The sillage gets compared to Francis Kurkdijan Baccarat Rouge 540.  I don’t care for this at all.  It smells too childish on me.  I sprayed it about 5 times including my hair as the scent wasn’t very apparent at first.  Then at home, my fiancé said the scent was overwhelmingly strong.  Even when I woke up and showered the scent was still lingering in my hair.  So in terms of projection and longevity it’s a beast.  If you like sweet, lactonic, fruity perfumes... it’s worth a try.  It’s received high reviews... Just not for me.  Notes:  lavender, pear, bergamot, coconut, praline, vanilla orchid, cashmere

I tried this and didn’t like it, but I might give it a chance. I can forgive anything for silage.

Today I am wearing 1875 by HdP-

ABSOLU EAU DE PARFUM
amber woody; fem.
Top notes: Californian Lemmon Essence, Ginger of India, Davana
Heart notes: Bouquet of White Flowers, Saffron
Base notes: Sandalwood, Incense, Indonesian Patchouli, Gaïac Wood Essence

Main notes: Ginger, Bouquet of White Flowers, Gaiac wood

Dazzling Carmen reigns over this amber and woody fragrance with its spicy and effervescent scent. With a dark eye, Patchouli watches Saffron and Frankincense, whose rebellious love creates an intoxicating trail of passion and freedom.

The ambered and spicy abyss of a perfume smoldering with amorous rapture.

It's definitely a strong amber spicy scent. Sadly the amber is too strong for me. It does smell like another scent I've tried, I just can't think of which one. 

Oooh, a California lemon opening and a strong amber, yum.

I sampled Mugler Angel Eau Croisiere, the limited edition flanker to Angel.  When I smelled it on paper, I immediately thought - orange fruit... but what?  I also smelled a zingy grapefruit note, and I finally caved, looked up the notes on Fragrantica, and the top note is MANGO!  The mango is ripe and juicy... fairly realistic, I wanted to bite into the tropical fruit.  The opening is impressive, but starts evolving about 5-10 min in...

Notes:  Mango, Grapefruit, Blackcurrent, Sorbet, Patchouli, Praline 

and then it begins to smell familiar - like Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey. 

In Mugler fashion, this is a projection and sillage beast, as well as long lasting.  It’s so potent, cloying and heavy for my taste, but the opening was surprising enough to sample.  I see this more suited for a summer night, like in Miami.  I would never wear this, but it’s worth a sniff. 

Gosh I love a tacky loud exotic fruit salad scent for trips to the beach.

This weekend I tried the newest Gucci Memories. It is so unique for Gucci. It smells like the fishy smell of the ocean mist. I also smell a light zest. There is a sweetness. This just smells like a sexy woman to me. Someone like Sophia Lauren before she was famous. It’s light, more of a daytime or weekend.

@howconnieglad you got a chance to try this one 🙂

Yes, I stumbled upon a tester at Macy’s and doused myself in it. I t suited my epicurean non conformist side and my exclusive alfresco in Italy side equally. I love a note that puts some off in an otherwise understated scent for summer.

testing