Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

RE: Re: The Perfume Challenge

Oh WoW interesting an all natural line! Although I have to say that reading this review as well as the notes I think I probably wouldn’t be that much of a fan either... thanks for reviewing this though - really interesting to read!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

Today I am wearing Bal D'Afrique by Byredo, which was a sample on my "would not purchase" pile. 

Notes:

• Top: African Marigold, Bergamot, Bucchu, Lemon, Neroli
  • Heart: Cyclamen, Jasmine Petals, Violet
  • Base: Black Amber, Moroccan Cedarwood, Musk, Vetiver

My opinion:

Lots of Cedar and Vetiver. Lemon and a hint of jasmine. After one hour or so the scent kind of disappears on my skin. I'm not a huge fan of the scent, but it's wearable. It's "gender neutral" and both my husband and I would rate it 5/10.

It reminds be of Vetiver Tonka by Hermes, but I prefer the Hermes one.

@Cyncynn  Sounds interesting though. I like the notes.

@howconnie  @Samtian It's very nice and I will definitely finish the sample.

I love the name too. In general I like how Byredo names their perfumes and the thought process/story behind it. So far, Eleventh Hour was the only one that made its way to my collection!

The notes on this one sounds really interesting and I like the name.

I haven't posted here in a while, I need to stop being lazy! I just finished my sample of Candy by Prada. I was really surprised by this, I loved it. On me it smelled like a spicy floral. 

Fragrance Family:
Warm and Spicy
Scent Type:
Warm and Sweet Gourmands
Key Notes:
White Musks, Benzoin, Caramel Accord

Prada CANDY Eau de Parfum 2.7 oz/ 80 mL

Love this fragrance 

@Samtian I love this fragrance too! So unique!

Best,
Rebecca

@Samtian 

I loved the bottle, the description and the ads for that perfume, so I was very surprised I didn't like the scent. 

I am so glad I found this thread lol - I am drowning in perfume samples 😄

Today I am wearing Palermo by Byredo, which was a sample on my "would not purchase" pile. 

Notes:

• Top: Bigarade, Sicilian Bergamot
  • Heart: Fresh Musk, Rose Absolute
  • Base: Ambrette Flower, Skin Musks

My "expert" opinion:

Grapefruit(juice and peel) and grass. Fresh, but bitter. Reminds me of Atelier Cologne Pomelo Paradis.

Grass scents are so pleasant but I am curious how the grapefruit plays out with that.

@howconnie I thought it was a very odd combination, but not in a good way. I like grassy scents and love citrus, but the combination just didn't sit well with me. I don't even want to finish that sample to be honest 😞

Today’s sample was Tam Dao By Diptyque it’s a woodsy incense type with a green accord. It is calming and reminds me of sauna woods and sandlewood incense. The opening is green cypress leaves and a sweet fig. The two combined come across as a creamy cypress note. A sweet rose envelopes them and This triad dances in the woods till the symphony is over. Very relaxing, silage reaches my elbow, and last 2 to 4 hours before I don’t notice it.

I tried Juliette Has a Gun ‘Sunny Side Up’ and it kind of gave me similar vibes... but it’s not as complex.

I’ll have to look into Sunny Side Up as I enjoy the brand Juliette has a Gun, and it’s more readily available.

Juliette Has a Gun Sunny Side Up 3.3 oz/ 100 mL Eau de Parfum Spray

@howconnieI like this one too, Diptyque does spicy woody very well 🙂

Nice to know that, I’m a woods lover. When they discontinued Commodity I bought 3 bottles of Velvet.

@howconniethe house that's most solid for woody-spicy for me is Comme des Garcons. If I was forced to blind buy from a house it would probably be CdG. They're also reasonably priced.

I tested Revolution by Cuir Trudon on my skin today. Its notes are cedar, patchouli and cade.

Revolution opens up with a distinct bonfire accord that’s unmistakably cade with a hint of Patchouli 24's BBQ patch. While the projection is excellent, it is not challenging. There’s a tactile softness right from the opening that makes Revolution very wearable. The dry down enters into more woody and tanned leather territory though the smoke is still there at the skin level. It’s a broken-in butch leather made even more approachable by what smells like amber to me.

I can’t say there’s much about this fragrance that seems revolutionary to me now that every niche house and their uncle is releasing a smoky fragrance. Its charms lie not in asserting radical changes but in taking a pugnacious genre into a more wearable, comforting direction.

enevlopetrudoncampaign

RE: Re: The Perfume Challenge

@pocketvenus cool!!!! I kept reading about their candles but I’ve never had the chance to so much as catch a whiff of either their candles or their fragrances so it’s very cool to read a review!! The candles are a bit out of reach for me at the moment but Fingers crossed for the future....

@pocketvenus Do you order samples to try all the fragrances or are you a Parfumeur?  You always review obscurities that I’m not familiar with! 

testing