Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@pocketvenus - I've been curious about Pacific Lime.  Think I'll pass after reading your description--drugstore shampoo scent isn't quite me!

@Titian06, it's a nice shampoo but still!!

@pocketvenus went to Dallas yesterday, but haven't had a chance to post. Smelled Jo Malone Bronze Wood and Leather and it came across as a pretty masculine scent to me. I'm not a great person to describe a fragrance so glad you did. Thanks for the tag 🙂

Thanks so much for all the descriptions @pocketvenus!  Think I will still need a sample of the JM. 🙂

You're both welcome ❤️ @veronika23 @Luvstravel

Tried Comme des Garçons Kyoto yesterday. Mmmm, it's really nice. Light, tranquil, meditative, airy...

From Luckyscent:

"For thousands of years, people around the world have burned incense to honor their ancestors, purify the air, worship deities, accompany rituals or merely for the pure enjoyment that incense brings. Kyoto is a spiritual journey to the serene temples of the city known as Heart of Japan. Dry and calm, the cedar note in Kyoto is evident, swirling with the earthy scents of spicy, smoky vetiver and the juniper-meets-evergreen aroma of cypress. Serene and earthbound, Kyoto's quiet power is never harsh; it's a meditative scent, bringing to mind relaxing in one of Kyoto's legendary rotenburo (outdoor hot spring baths) nestled among the legendary cypress trees. 

Kyoto  Notes

incense, cypress oil, coffee, teak wood, vetiver, patchouli, amber, everlasting flower, Virginian cedar"

It is a barely there skin scent on me. Which I wouldn't mind ( especially for an incense scent ). But it doesn't last very long. Which makes me sad... Because I am really liking it... 

Thanks, @pocketvenus , for the suggestion!

@lyravega - I could use all the 'light, tranquil, meditative," I can get!  😂

I hear ya, @Titian06 ! 😄

@lyravega, I'm sorry it doesn't last long for you! It doesn't project far on me either, but it lingers like cool wisps of smoke. Glad you liked it while it lasted though!

@pocketvenus maybe it's this stupid dabber sample. I hate those! And so often it is just not the same like when you can spray what's meant to be sprayed in the first place. I am sure it would last longer if I could spray some on my clothes and/or hair... But it is very nice. Maybe on some good sale I'd make it mine. 😛

@lyravega, I totally agree, the dab vs spray method changes how the scent diffuses. One trick I've used is to apply oil like argan oil in my hair and then run a sample wand through the strands but it's not comparable to a straight up spray to my locks!

Tried Libertine Fragrance's Sweet Grass yesterday and really liked it. A unique scent that opens with a brightening lift from hay, a feat normally achieved with hespiridic notes, paired with a heart composed of the cinnamon-honey warmth of the mimosa flower which is filled out nicely by mellow tobacco and a delicious lick of vanillic tonka, all grounded in oakmoss. Compelling in its ability to evoke a sense of space and a certain quality of sunlight.

Sweet_Grass_Eau_De_Parfum_30ml_332f0866-62b6-40fb-a72c-fe78c23f8898_600x

@pocketvenus - This sounds nice.  I certainly would have avoided this scent based on the name alone.  Whenever I hear "grass" I think of a yard/lawn.  That is not a pleasant scent to me.  On the other hand I love the smell of hay.  I never think about the other forms of grass (I live in my own little world).

@pocketvenus It really sounds so nice!

I am the same, @Titian06 . Or similar. I don't like the scent of fresh-cut grass or crushed greenery. It's anything but pleasant to me. They say plants "communicate" when attacked, and this scent is their distress signal. Maybe I am a plant whisperer and can smell their distress, so that's why I don't like the scent. 😉 ( Speaking about our own little worlds... 😉 )

@Titian06, I didn't think I would like it from the notes pyramid as I'm not a huge fan of tobacco but it's really well done! Not grassy at all 🙂

@pocketvenus - Thanks, I'm glad to hear that.

I'm wearing Malle's new oud scent today called Dawn. It's not an easy oud, but more "typical" than The Night, which I recall as having a photoshopped pungency, like veil of that blue cheese note oud can have. Dawn is creamier and for lack of a better word, more beastly. It's never truly animalic but definitely flirts with going there.

o.71862

I was expecting Dawn to be more of a rose oud, but the oud, with its complexity takes the fore. It is at turns fragrant, inky, woody, leathery. I feel as though rose adds more of a velvet texture than a floral cast. There's also a little bitterness that comes out in the dry down which pairs fantastically with the oud.

The thing about Dawn is... it reminds me of Kilian's Pure Oud. Don't get me wrong, they are very easy to tell apart. Dawn is much deeper, richer, more filled out and smoother where the Kilian is more raspy, high pitched, and opens differently with a whiff of burning rubber. But Dawn is retailing at $1,185 at Holts whereas Pure Oud is $260. Dawn is the better scent to me but as much as I love Malle, I can't say it's $925 better.

Out of curiosity, I just Googled the most expensive perfume in the world. And if we thought $1000+ was expensive for a perfume, there's a CNN article about Morreale Paris' Le Monde sur Mesur, which comes in a bespoke, gold-encrusted bottle and runs for $1.5 million?! If any of you ever get to try that scent, please report back.

Oh, and the perfume gets delivered by private jet.

@txcatx, ha ha ha, that actually sounds like more of a colossal waste, or at least environmental waste, than just taking a lighter to your cash and burning it.

tenor.gif

@pocketvenus - I about dropped my laptop when I read the price!  I have a hard enough time with perfumes that are approaching $200, but over $1K?!  Wow!

Thank you so much for your love of perfume AND being able to put your thoughts into words!  As you can tell, this is not my strong point, but trying scents is something I enjoy.

Happy new (perfume) year!

Thank you @Titian06 <3<3<3 It's a pleasure to be able to chat perfumes here at BIC and I love helping people find something they enjoy!

Yes, the price is outrageously high. I should add, those are Canadian dollars, but still. I think if you had to buy one of the Malles at that price, you are better off with The Night.

4 Replies
testing