Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Awesome review @RoseCharlie! I want to try a sample of this, it sounds amazing. 🙂

@angel7594Thank you so much! : )  I was worried I had blabbed a little too much and that no one would read it so I'm really happy to see you liked it! : ) I think it's definitely worth trying - even if you don't end up liking it for regular use I find it is a bit of a scent experience! : )

Today I decided to wear Tokyo Milk Tainted Love because it was recently in the samples section and I received a little sample with my last order.  I like it even though I'm not usually drawn to fragrances described as "dark".  I wouldn't really describe this as "dark" per say since it is balanced by a bit of sweetness and a hint of floral but it does have quite a smokey character to it. I love the smell of vanilla and it is prominent in this perfume, the description states that one of the main notes is "dark vanilla bean" but I feel like the "darkness" comes from the smokey tea notes.  To me this smells of vanilla, smokey tea, a hint of wood, a hint of floral (I can't say it smells like any one particular flower and though the notes lists orchid and I often see orchid as a note in fragrance descriptions, orchids, to my knowledge, mostly do not possess any scent so I can't say I know what orchid smells like though if it is meant to convey the notion of a sort of clean floral then yes, there is a hint/peekaboo of clean floral hear).  There is also very small hint of sandalwood and these notes are all framed by what I would describe as a sweet (not overly sweet) "hug", as if the sweetness of dried black cherries hung faintly around the composition and around the dominant notes.  I quite like it even though it's not the sort of thing I would have thought to try on my own.  I remember reading somewhere that Kat Von D carries a hand cream scented with Tainted Love everywhere she goes.  In conclusion I should say - I quite like this and I would wear it but it is not extremely rich or complex if that makes any sense.  I get an immediate sense of the fragrance and the notes and that stays very consistently linear as time goes on.  Great value though this perfume is a steal!

I love Tainted Love! Combining it with Alien is my go to combo. 

@SamtianOooh nice, I have not tried layering it yet but you're making me think I should give it a go!  : )

@RoseCharlie I just picked this sample from a little pile of free samples someone was giving away. I smelled Tokyo Milk once a loooong time ago in some Japanese stationary store at Santana Row. Now I can't wait to try it. 😄

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBTYay! : ) Thanks Marieke! I loooove getting perfume samples because I want to try pretty much everything - the only downside is that sampling so many perfumes makes for a growing wishlist and I'm pretty much never going to ever be done buying perfumes! : ) lol.

@RoseCharlie I'm wearing it right now and ugh it smells so good! Perfumes are something that you really can't have enough of in my opinion. 😄

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBTI could not agree more! : )  One of the things i really really really love about Sephora is that a lot of perfumes are available in rollerball format and that makes it much easier to own a bunch of different perfumes - I love that you guys have that! : )  If I may permit myself a bit of shameless begging here - as you in can see in my long-winded review of Juliette has a Gun Gentlewoman (above) I would get on my knees and beg for roller-ball formats of Miss Charming (especially) but also Gentlewoman - I don't know if there's a chance of that happening but i wish it would or i wish it would! Sigh - I am now thinking I should have taken advantage of the sale to pick up Miss Charming... I meant to make it to the store and look at stuff to make some executive decisions but I never did and now that I've broken out my Juliette has  a Gun sample set I'm broken up about missing out on miss charming.  Sorry for the first world problems rant...

@RoseCharlie no worries about the first world problems rant! I have them sometimes too. 😄 I'd definitely recommend reaching out to Juliet Has a Gun to see if they have any plans to make a rollerball format of Miss Charming or Gentlewoman. It's up them to make it and if they do maybe we'll get it! 😉 I also love getting rollerballs since it allows me to have a bunch of different scents without having to pay for the bottle and with the way I go, these rollerballs will last me a long long time 😄 

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBTYayyyyyyy!!! : ) THANK YOU Marieke! : ) Miss Charming is just such a fun fragrance it makes me happy it makes me feel like i should be baking pink cupcakes -  a perfect little mix of rasberry, pink and red roses, juicy tangerines, stawberry, lychee, a little musk to make it stick.  It makes me think of the word "cheeky" for some reason lol.  I think i am talking myself into it lol.

@RoseCharlie Bahaha sounds like you might be! 😄 Mmm pink and red roses and lychee and strawberry! I might need to check this out myself hahaha

XOXO,
Marieke

Maison Margiela Replica Dancing On the Moon. First of all, I feel like I should buy a lottery ticket because my last Sephora order came with every sample I requested, including this one. But, I think I'll just say that Lazy Sunday Morning remains the only MMM fragrance I've tried (and I've tried at least six of them) that I like. This one is overpowering floral in the worst way possible.

Notes:
Aldehyde, Moonflower, Sambac jasmine, Frangipani Tree, Iris, Cashmeran, Accord of Ambergris, Musk.

@txcatxThanks for your review! : ) You reminded me that I had been meaning to try Funfair Evening, another MM frag. I didn't know about dancing on the moon but I can see how it might be overpowering - i sometimes find white floral scents very overpowering as well.

Although I'm a high-end perfume lover, CK Euphoria is my all time fave. Nothing can hold a candle to it and I get tons of compliments every time I wear it! and it lasts forever too!!

From Fragrantica:

Exotic floral-fruity fragrance Euphoria was launched in 2005. The fragrance is luminous and luscious like fruits notes of which are captured in it. Euphoria is mysterious and appealing like dark exotic flowers. It invites you to enjoy in joys of life. The main notes are rose hip, Japanese apple, green leaves, Lotus, black orchid, red woods, black violet and amber.

I lost count on how many perfumes I've tried since starting this challenge, but I think I'm somewhere in the 45-50 range. 

I finally tried Miu Miu L'Eau Bleue from my Play box. I think it smells like a cheap candle with a picture of seashells on the jar that you would buy at a dollar store. 

Notes: Lily of the Valley, Wild Rose, Akigalawood.

My Box just arrived so I sampled-  MAISON MARGIELA ’REPLICA’ Fantasies: Dancing On the Moon

Notes:
Aldehyde, Moonflower, Sambac jasmine, Frangipani Tree, Iris, Cashmeran, Accord of Ambergris, Musk.

Ok, Wow!  I don't like!  It reminds of old school Poison but 'louder' because the Frangipani (and, Jasmine)  is very strong.  

There is always that 'note' that just reminds me of that 'pink soap' in public restrooms or strongly fruity scented $2 car fresheners.  Almond'ish, Cherry'ish....Candy'ish....Cheap'ish. 

ad1.jpg

Yesterday I used Giorgio Armani Si. 

Notes:
Chypre, Blackcurrant Nectar, Airy Florals, Musky Blond Wood.

Smells pretty good. 

Dior J'adore. It might be my all time favorite. 

@alexasteph I just tried this for the first time a few days ago. I really like it! For some reason I had an impression that it wouldn't be as good, but I put it on and wow! I feel like it doesn't last as long on me as Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet, but lasts long enough for me. 🙂 

XOXO,
Marieke

Maybe I need to take a break from trying out different fragrances. I just opened Mimosa Indigo and I can't smell anything at all. Is it possible to break your sense of scent from trying out too many perfumes? 

(It could also just be my springtime allergies kicking in.)

testing