Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Today I grabbed a sample that was laying around. Versace Dylan Blue.

Notes-Bergamot, Grapefruit, Aquatic Notes, Fig Leaves, Violet Leaves, Black Pepper, Papyrus Wood, Patchouli Bio, Mineral Musk, Tonka Bean, Saffron.

I smell like a manly man. 

Image result for manly man meme

@Samtian - I tried this one too...your picture is very apt!  lol

Looks like we're getting our Commodity Platinum fragrances in! My 39th perfume since starting this challenge is Commodity Tonka, which I layered with Commodity Mimosa (because mimosas go with everything from chorizo, egg, and cheese breakfast tacos to creme brulee French toast). Anyway, this combo is like a fancy version of Atelier's orange and vanilla combo. It's as if some molecular gastronomy restaurant decided to deconstruct a dreamsicle and added foam and powdered fat and whatever else they do to add extra, sophisticated flavors and textures.

Commodity Goods Platinum Vetiver: I love Commodity fragrances, but I find they fade quickly on me, so I was hopeful with the Platinum series. Vetiver did not disappoint! It is a warm, woody scent that is also very clean. This iteration of Vetiver is truly unisex on me, and I can't wait to layer it with some more floral scents to create my own signature fragrance. Can't wait to try out more from this series.

Viktor & Rolf BonBon

Notes: Caramel, Mandarin, Orange Blossom

This smells ahhhmazing! Sweet, but in a very grown up way. This one has excellent staying power on my skin, but is not overwhelming. 🙂

@angel7594 - I added this to my list to try.  I think the combination of caramel and mandarin and orange sounds interesting.

It really is worth trying in my opinion. The notes are well balanced. I have to be cautious with many sweet fragrances because of migraines, but this one does not overwhelm me at all. I hope you like it too @Titian06! 🙂

@angel7594 - That's good to know.  Sweet fragrances are a migraine trigger for me too.

@Titian06 I just did a quick little spray on the testing paper and got more giddy over a fragrance than I'd like to admit. It is very nice. Very nice. 

I have a sample of this and will be wearing it tomorrow! It does sound quite sweet, and I'm not in love with super sweet fragrances, but I've been surprised before. 

@alexasteph, I like it almost as much as the Secret Genius. It is a comforting, lovely scent! I cannot stop smelling my wrists, lol!

@angel7594 Ooh I'm super excited to try it then!! 

Yesterday was my last day until I get more samples.  I'll be reading your posts to see if you find anything new and wonderful that I will need to try!  🙂

Trying Paco Rabanne Olympea today. I received a sample in my last order. A lot of people really like this one, so I was excited to try it. It's very sweet on me, however, and dries down to a familiar musk. I don't really get any of the floral that's described. While I like the musky dry down (I said it's "familiar" because I have other fragrances that dry down the same way), that initial sweetness was just a bit too much for me, and I was happy once it toned down. This a pass for me, almost thankfully. I don't need to fall in love with any more!

Notes: Green mandarin, ginger lily, hydroponic jasmine, salted vanilla, sandalwood, ambergris

Feb 15:  Michael Kors – Wonderlust

Notes:  Almond Milk, Dianthus, Benzoin Siam, Sandalwood from Sri Lanka

Nope Nope Nope.jpg

COMMODITY MIMOSA TODAY.

I wholeheartedly approve of this one.

I am falling in love with Mugler Angel Muse! Smiley Surprised I hate original Angel. LOVE Alien. Hated this one at first sniff. But, something about it made me to try it again. And, again. And it grew on me. Now I am totally under its spell!

Fragrance notes: Grapefruit, Pink Peppercorn, Hazelnut Cream, Vetiver, Patchouli.

Tantalizing. Delicious. Supremely feminine.

Oh! I love the bottle, as well! So pretty!

upload_3543570661290426723.jpg

( Not my photo! )

The original Angel is not for me either, but I am intrigued by this one. I will request a sample. The bottle is so unique and beautiful. 🙂

How different is this from Alien? I hate Alien on me, it's awful. But the notes in this one sound nice, and would be willing to give it a chance if it's unique enough, and doesn't make me want to gag when I put it on...  

@alexasteph What @lachaton said. It is indeed very different from Alien. I'm not picking up on any Angel in it ( thank gods! ), but it is possible, of course. It is Angel Muse after all. 😉

I don't have anything like it in my collection, and I don't usually go for something like this.... So, to me it is quite unique. I do think it's an acquired taste, though ( like all Mugler fragrances, if you ask me. You either hate them, or love them. )

Just a heads up - it is very strong at first, when you first spray it on. Don't go into it right away. Give it a few. I hated it at first, when I stuck my nose right into it. Made ma gag. 😄 But, when it settles, it is just divine! Definitely get a sample and give it a try.

testing