Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 27: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Afloat

My notes - This might be the most boring perfume I've ever worn.  I had to reapply just to remember what it smelled like.  I get cucumber and a general freshness but it's hard to describe since I keep passing out from perfume boredom.  

Real notes - White Mimosa, Orris.

Day 27Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

Complete scrubber. On me, some kind of animalic that quickly turned to something sour, rank...foul.

Looking at the notes, I don't get it but...did not like.

Notes: Yellow mandarin, ginger, pumpkin accord, immortelle, Moroccan neroli, rose de Grasse, vetiver, heliotrope, and musk

GARDENIAEAUDETOILETTE.jpg

Day 26Penhalgion's Anthology Gardenia

So I went in blind on this one, because the vial was only labeled "Penhalgion Anthology" Was surprised when I smelled the gardenia (having just rejected Chanel's Gardenia for that day because I wasn't in the mood).

I didn't keep this one on very long - not because it was bad or unpleasant, it just didn't suit my mood. It really reminded me of the gardenia perfume one of my sisters used to wear. There was a light fruit to it - would have guessed plum, but it's likely the rhubarb. Very pretty. Would wear/try again in sunnier/warmer weather :).

Ended up washing it off and putting Ombre Leather over it :x

Notes: Violet, Rhubarb, Bergamot, Hyacinth, Magnolia, Green leaves, Gardenia, Rose, Ylang ylang, Orange Blossom, Tuberose, Jasmine, Clove, Cinnamon, Lily of the Valley, Benzoin, Sandalwood, Musk, Vanilla

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 25Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
Day 24Vert Boheme by Tom Ford
Day 23Sidi Bel-Abbes by Serge Lutens
Day 22Black Orchid by Tom Ford
Day 21Dangerous Complicity by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 20: Plum Japonais by Tom Ford
Day 19: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 18: Oud Wood by Tom Ford
Day 17: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 16: Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela
Day 15: Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio
Day 14: Eau de Sens by Diptyque
Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

Day 26 - Fresh Brown Sugar - one of my favorites

Day 27 - Pinrose Campfire Rebel - I like it, I think? I have a few more sample wipes of it so I think I'll wear it again but I don't think I would purchase it. I would like a little smidge more vanilla or sweetness to balance out the smoky notes. 

Day 26: Vive La Juicy on one wrist and Tory Burch on the other. Vive La Juicy smells overwhelmingly plastic on me, and the Tory Burch is just meh. I'm still waiting to discover something I love!

I haven't posted in a few days because a snow plow crashed into my car on my way to work.  Mostly I've been dealing with insurance and doctors with little time for relaxing online time.  😞

Day 26: Deep Euphoria by Calvin Klein.

This one starts off with a rosey fresh smell, but it quickly takes on this sickly syrupy flower note that smells very unpleasant on me.  When I spray it on a paper, I can't smell it, so I can only assume this is one of those times where the perfume itself is nice to smell.... on someone else.

It seems to dry down really fast on me.  There is noticeable patchouli at the end.  I can't smell this at all on me after two hours.

I don't think I'll finish the sample vial, but at least the people at work always benefit from fragrance samples I'm not fond of.

@ghrelin I'm so sorry to hear that you were in a car accident! My complete empathy - I'm still dealing with doctors,  insurance, and the pain of one my fiance and I were in 2 years ago. I hope that you have a swift recovery 🙂

@Libellules  Thank you so much and I'm sorry to hear you've had to deal with this kind of hassle yourself.  I hope you're able to get past this!  

@ghrelin - I'm so sorry you were in an accident!  I hope you feel better soon!

@Titian06  Thank you!

Oh no! Hope everything is okay and the insurance will taking care of both you and your car. Sending lots and lots of good vibes your way!

@blackkitty2014  Thanks.  It could have been a lot worse, so I'm really grateful for small miracles.  Both my insurance and the insurance for the snowplow have been really good to me too.  

Thanks for the good vibes!  I could definitely use them! 😄

Oh dear, sending more good vibes!!

@pocketvenus  Thank you!!

I hope you are okay, so sorry that happened! 😞

Thank you, @angel7594 I'm a little worse for wear, but it could have been so much worse.  Luckily it was on airport property, and it was an airport plow, so everything is on camera.  He was totally at fault and the company is being super good to me.  

A snow plow?! Wow, I hope you're okay!

@txcatx  Thank you.  I'm far better than I would have been if he had hit me one second later.  I was in a large parking lot at the airport and he came speeding out of a aisle packed with cars and just plowed into me.  😞  

Oh no! 😱😱 I hope you are okay! 

@alexasteph  Thank you.  I'm a little banged up, but I'm so much better than I would have been if he'd hit me even a second later.  My poor car wasn't as lucky as me though.  😞

Better the car than you though! Here's to a speedy recovery and a fast return to normalcy! I've never needed to deal with something like this before, but I can imagine it's quite a headache. 

For sure, @alexasteph !  A car is just a car, it can be replaced.  It was definitely not how I wanted to start my day that day!  But I have good insurance and the company has good insurance.  It's a headache, but I'm really glad that at least I won't have to pay out a ton of money.