Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

@Mcakes Yeah I saw that and I have it in my basket 😂 I'm hitting Sephora today to look at some other things since I wasn't able to go yesterday, so I'll sample that one while I'm there. 

Been MIA for a few days!

Day 20 - I wore something, but I don't remember what.

Day 21 - Calvin Klein Deep Euphoria (yes I wore this already, and yes I cheated and wore it again!)

Day 22 - lounged at home all day, so nothing

Day 23 - Calvin Klein Forbidden Euphoria

Also these odd Euphoria names are a bit "huh?" to me, I am really enjoying the Euphoria scents I've tried so far. Their lasting power is s*** on me though, so I doubt I'd ever buy for myself!

Day 23: Marc Jacobs Dot

Dot is VERY sweet, but still pleasant. It starts off very strong with red berries and honeysuckle, and does dry down a bit muskier, but that sweetness is still there. I don't think it's a very mature scent, but the musk does grow it up a bit. Dot was one of the first fragrances I purchased when I just getting in to them, and I totally see how it would have appealed to a younger me. I enjoy it, but I don't think I love it enough to repurchase, especially since I am discovering other scents that fit my "mood" a bit better. I also don't find this one to be terribly long lasting as well, which is typical of Marc Jacobs fragrances for me. I have Honey too, so maybe I'll wear that one tomorrow to remind myself how that one lasts on me. 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)
Day 18: Chloe Eau du Parfum (yay!)
Day 19: Dior J'adore (yay!)
Day 20: YSL Black Opium (yay!)
Day 21: Elizabeth and James Nivana White (double yay!)
Day 22: Nothing

PS: I don't think my sinuses are 100% clear, but after diffusing lemon and eucalyptus and taking a decongestant I think I've lessened the pressure quite a bit. 

Day 23 - Prada Candy - sweet, very sweet

Day 22 - went to Ulta and sprayed 2 different scents on.  One was Marc Jacobs Kiss.  Like it but cannot see myself buying it (although the bottle screams "buy me!").  The other was some Escada perfume.  It was delicious but I don't know the name of it.  I hadn't seen the bottle before so I think it's new.  More research required....

Day 21 - E&J Nirvana Black

Notes:
Violet, Sandalwood, Vanilla.

Day 23- Pinrose Gilded Fox

Notes- Cocoa, Rum, Vetiver

I like it, not enough to buy a full size one though, yet. On the pouch it says it 'Spiked Hot Cocoa' they weren't kidding!

http://www.sephora.com/gilded-fox-P407365?skuId=1808005&icid2=pinrose_guildedfox_carousel:p407365

@Samtian - This sounds interesting...think I'll have to get a sample.  🙂

I like this one, but it is quite boozy. I put this and Secret Genius in the same category, and I prefer Secret Genius. 

I want to try that one.

I recommend it 100%, especially if you want something a little sweeter that's not overpowering. It's vanilla and caramel, but a musky vanilla and a salted caramel, to me at least. 

Jan 21: Lancome La Vie Est Belle EDP: I love it.

Jan 22: Darn it!!!! Nada! I forgot

Jan 23: Atelier Cologne Sud Magnolia: Another favorite from this line.

La Vie Este Belle is one of my absolute favorites! It's the only fragrance I've ever actually been complimented on. 

alright ! i'm here for the counter argument to @Libellules take on ELdO Dangerous Complicity. because it's one of my very favorites ! 🙂 hope ya don't mind L, i just find it fun !

Day 8: Etat Libre d'Orange Dangerous Complicity. 

upon first impression, i agree it's not a special or extraordinary. it's another boozy floral and almost could be dismissed as another c-list celeb fragrance or--dare i say--victoria's secret body splash. you dismiss it. but then you notice yourself coming back for more. there's something different going on here.

the key word in it's title is not 'dangerous'. it's 'complicit'.

my take is, this fragrance is suppose to smell innocent with a twist. it's young, fresh and full of booze--and suggests a naivete. the chinese osmanthus (extraordinary) is the main note, mixed with coconut and ginger, all of which give it a young and buoyant vibe, with the rather pronounced rum note boozing it out and adding a sweetness. with all of these elements, it is the lack of vanilla and sugar is what keeps 'dangerous complicity' sophisticated and a level above the rest of its kind. and it is.

sophistication aside, the naivete is key--you'll make people dangerously complicit in thinking naughty things about you, when they can't get enough and surrender to it. they're guilty.

ELdO is a house with a sense of humor. i think the concept behind dangerous complicity (as i've inferred it, at least) is more or less what sooooo many fragrances are marketed as, but never explicitly say as much. ELdO was like "ok, we'll make one of those, lay all the cards out on the table, and make the very best one."

anyway. those are my thoughts ! highly recommend. i find this last on me all day, and melts into my skin extraordinarily well. if anyone tried it and felt 'meh', i understand. i'd recommend giving it a few chances and see if you fall for it.

here's a pic of my wee but nearly empty bottle, with its backup waiting in the wings.

dangerouscomplicity.jpg

previous days in the spoiler !

Spoiler
DIPTYQUE tam dao EDT
TOCCA colette
ISSEY MIYAKE l'eau d'issey EDT
TOM FORD santal blush
DEMETER - green tea
KEROSENE - blackmail EDP 
JO MALONE - dark amber & ginger lily cologne

Definitely don't mind @jemly!

I looked up the word complicit, because when I was trying to gather my thoughts this morning, I had originally thought that the play on words would support what I was smelling (again, on me) with the kind of laying back letting whatever happen mental image - but it does in fact simply mean to be an accomplice to an illegal, or wrong act (and as the name would imply here - a dangerous one, at that), inferring there should be something dark or lurking here.

As I said in my original post - on *my* skin, it is BORING. I just don't have the chemistry for the rum to linger, or leather or ginger or other more interesting notes to develop. This is my 3rd Etat Libre d'Orange fragrance that I've tried, and the 3rd that simply falls flat for me.

Catching up through the weekend...

Serge-Lutens-Sidi-Bel-Abbes.jpg

Day 23Sidi Bel-Abbes by Serge Lutens

This reminds me of Borneo 1834, in that they smell similar to me, but also challenge my nose.

On me, it smells like a chypre, which isn't my favorite, though I enjoy this scent. It also feels much more linear than Borneo 1834 (that being said, 2 hours in, I'm starting to smell a hint of smoke - could be oud, could be leather), which is surprising because this is from the collection d'or meaning it is $$$$$$$$$$$.

I like it, but not enough to buy a full bottle. Which is unfortunate, because this is another one that (to me) has a really appealing sounding description:

"From a forgotten time, an erased past, all that remains in our memory is the footprint in the sand of an anonymous love.
A chic, sensual tobacco-based fragrance"

Maybe I'd prefer this on my Fiance?

Notes:

I believe that these haven't been released, but Surrender to Chance lists - tobacco, beeswax, vanilla, tropical flowers, red fruits, Russian leather, cumin, frankincense, amber, benzoin, resins and spicy fougere

Day 22Black Orchid by Tom Ford

At the opening (again, on me), this reminded me of a more "grown up" version of things I liked in middle school from bath and body works and their ilk..or my signature scent from high school (much loved but WAY strong and sweet) Butterfly by Hanae Mori - gourmand floral.

Strong gourmand floral.

Throughout the day, there were moments that it actually reminded me of Soleil Orchid, with coconut floral coming pretty strongly but...it really just fell flat for me. It wasn't cloying, but I just didn't like it.

Notes:

Black Truffle, Ylang-Ylang, Bergamot, Black Currant, Black Orchid, Black Iris, Black Plum, Lotuswood, Coconut, Cinnamon, Balsam, Vanilla

Day 21Dangerous Complicity by Etat Libre d'Orange

With such a strong sounding name, I expected a lot more from this fragrance. But instead, Etat Libre d'Orange is in "danger" of me completely losing interest in their brand.

On me: boring light white floral with a hint of coconut and booze (these two only linger for a few minutes). No depth, and completely undetectable a couple of hours in.

IDGI. The description and label even promise something dark:

47727.jpg

Every dangerous complicity requires the infusion of something that can endure beyond desire, beyond commitment. Like the bad boy’s leather or the powdered skin of a femme fatale, Dangerous Complicity unveils the passionate pact between fruit, flower, and flesh. The warm sweetness of coconut and rum gives in to the seduction of ylang ylang and the spicy embrace of sandalwood.

Style:
Conflict. Drama. Treachery.

Notes (from Luckyscent, as they are more thorough than Sephora):

Rum, ginger, coconut, bay essence, calamus essence, osmanthus absolute, Egyptian jasmine absolute, ylang ylang essence, lorenox, patchouli essence, leather accord, sandalwood, cashmere woods

Guess it's not for me.

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 20: Plum Japonais by Tom Ford
Day 19: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 18: Oud Wood by Tom Ford
Day 17: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 16: Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela
Day 15: Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio
Day 14: Eau de Sens by Diptyque
Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

Days 21 & 22: Nothing.  

My notes - the hubs is allergic to most perfumes and since I'm the best wife ever, I didn't wear anything.  

Day 23: Ellis Brooklyn RRose

My notes - I smell roses in the dry down but not initially.  It very floral and almost soapy at first.  It's the kind of scent I wouldn't choose for myself but I would ask a stranger what they're wearing if I smelled it on them.  

Real notes - Sicilian Lemon, Cassis, Pear, Lotus Blossom, Peony, Centifolia Rose Petals, Cashmere Woods, Spring Musks, Vanilla Orchid.

Day 23: Commodity Magnolia. At first, I was hit with an overwhelmingly strong floral, but the scent mellowed out to a very nice, soft floral. Added this one to my Loves list. 

Notes:
Water Lily, Dewy Greens, Pink Grapefruit, Eucalyptus, Magnolia, Ylang Ylang, White Violet, Rose Absolute, Caramel, Labdanum, Oak Moss, Musk.

Day 23: Olympia by Paco Rabanne.

I wore this one a couple of days ago, but I was just feeling it this morning, so there we go!

Day 21 and 22 go together, so I'll do them together:

Ateleir Cologne Orange Sanguine and Bergamot Soleil. I have had samples of these for a while and knew they smelled citrus; kind of the wrong season for these imo, but good for the challenge. My bottom line is I think these smell the same. They really don't but...They also do. I suppose because they are both unique in the same way. Both didn't last long at all - a couple hours at most. And the initial scent smells exactly like the Florida Welcome centers. I was getting images of Mickey Mouse waving at me.

Anyway, neither of these were a "love", but if I ever want to smell like I just walked through an orange grove, at least I know where to turn.

Interesting they both smell the same to you, because I think they are quite different. I LOVE Orange Sanguine and cannot stand Bergamot Soleil haha. Body chemistry I suppose! 

ah you're right! they went on different, and I agree, orange sanguine smells good from the start whereas BS was leaning toward unpleasant!

@Alicehoopz  I agree, nobody likes it when they smell BS. Best thing to do is just call the person out on their BS and not put up with it 😉

testing