Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

V&R Flowerbomb is also my #1 long time favorite fragrance.  I have loved this for years and always will!!

Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark 33 Rotten Apple

Eeehhhhhh... Not loving it yet. I found a sample vial last night and thought I'd give it a try. We'll see how it wears as the day goes on. Right now, and I don't know why, it reminds me of a hospital or nursing home? Maybe the nursing home my great-grandma was in when I was 5 smelled like this? Maybe the hospital I used to volunteer in did? I don't know. I don't think I'm going to wear this one again.

EDIT: I want to re-read the description of this one and I totally got the name wrong. I think that says enough about my thoughts on it. Definitely won't be wearing it again. 

Spoiler
1. Alien by Thierry Mugler (meh)
2. Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
3. Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
4. D&G Dolce (yay!)
5. Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)

Day 6: Viva La Juicy. I smell like one of those naked cakes topped with fresh flowers that are all the rage on Pinterest. 

Key Notes:
Wild Berries, Jasmine, Vanilla.

Spoiler
31 Days of Perfume
1. Derek Lam 10 Crosby Ellipsis
2. Maison Margiela Replica, Lipstick On
3. Miu Miu
4. Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia
5. Chloe

@txcatx I recently tried this one myself!  It's such a fun fragrance.

Day 6:  V & R Flowerbomb (sample card)

After so many years, I am still not sure on this.  I don't love it or hate it, but I feel like it's too common or something. 

I'm always told I smell delicious when I wear this! 😄 It's definitely common but also one of my favs.

I used to not be a fan, but have just recently changed my tune and have a rollerball. It is definitely very popular, but I think it's because a lot of people find it so wearable. I do actually really like it now, and wear it quite a bit. 

Day 6 - Philosophy Fresh Cream - needed something sweet today. It's one of my favorites; I just wish it lasted longer. I layered it with the body lotion, so that helps the staying power a little bit. 

Day 6: Parfumerie Generale - Aommassai

I'm starting to realize I have a type. At least, it seems the coId weather this season has me reaching for spice, woods, resins, and vanilla. Aommassai is no exception, and I'd describe it as a woody vanilla gourmand. Definitely on the sweeter side, but not cloying, and it's decidedly masculine. I would love to smell this on my guy.

ETA: It's just about 1pm, and Aommassai is still kicking. It's mellowed to a soft woodiness and I keep sniffing myself. I'm working off a sample, but I may need a bottle.

Backlog:

Spoiler
Day 5: Jo Malone - Vanilla & Anise
Day 4: Tocca - Margaux

Day 3: Parfumerie Generale - Felanilla 

Day 2: Elizabeth and James - Nirvana Bourbon 

Day 1: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Grand Soir 

The name is really cool 😄 I could use those notes in winter, as long as it's not too sweet..

Day Six: Comme Des Garçons' Original

I love this fragrance - it smells niche, but is more affordable than my favourite niche lines. Its bristling, spicy opening has heaps of nutmeg and clove. However, in spite of featuring such warm spices, the scent has an overall cool abstraction to it. In the dry down, it smooths out into woods and incense. Not a crowdpleaser - I would definitely test this out first before committing to a full bottle.

I've been curious about this one for a while. Your description is wonderful. I need a sample!

This sounds DELICIOUS to me.

Day 6: Derek Lam Crosby Blackout

This is a nice break from the more floral scents of the past two days. Its snowing here and somehow this scent just works on a cold snowy day. I suspect that's the chai notes.

My only complaint is that it wore off to the point where I have to tuck my chin into my chest to get a whiff. I suspect it'll disappear completely before lunch.

Previous Days:

Spoiler
Day 5: Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has a Gun 
Day 4: Fleur d'Aspiration by La Fleur by Livvy 
Day 3: Fat Electrican by Etat Libre d'Orange 
Day 2: Coconut Milk by Sarah Horowitz 
Day 1: Atelier Vanilla Incensee and Orange Sanguine

Day 6: CLEAN reserve blonde rose.

This is described as an "edgy floral" but i don't really think it's that floral. I can smell the jasmine but the sandalwood and musk are the prominent notes. I like it! CLEAN perfumes tend to fade quickly on me, so i'll see how it wears today.

I've been meaning to smell some of the others in the Reserve line after I experienced a crazy bit of nostalgia from Terra Woods that had me vying for a bottle just for the head trip. Blonde Rose sounds lovely!

@greenporchlights I'm a big fan of the reserve line! I bought a set actually so I need of dig into that!!

I have a sample vial of this I need to pull out and try! I love the notes. 

@jen143xo it's one of my favorites from the reserve line!

Day 6: (but my first day posting in this challenge)

Jo Malone - Wood Sage & Sea Salt mixed with their Peony & Blush Suede' 

I like them both separate, but mixed it's delicious smelling lol. Since I purchased them, I have gotten so many complements 😄

I like this combo as well!

Red Roses is my absolute favourite rose fragrance, I like mixing it with these two also!

1 Reply
testing