Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Summer Fragrance Challenge ( Quest For Perfect Summer Scent )

I guess I need a partner in crime. 😉 I am trying to find a perfect summer scent, and I am sure I am not alone on that quest. I see people asking about summer scents all the time. I've been going through a lot of samples lately, old and new. Why not make it fun and ask you, guys, to join me! Maybe we can help each other. It is definitely way more fun to play when in good company. So! Bust out that endless stash of samples! Let's find that perfect summer scent! Let's try a new scent every day, or whenever we feel like it, and compare our notes. Come! Play!

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 5.31.44 PM.png 

Re: Summer Fragrance Challenge ( Quest For Perfect Summer Scent )

Just curious if I can post anything today... couldn't last night. Testing testing 123 😄 Do you see me? Can you hear me?

So, if I can't find anything about a website online, that probably means they are not legit, right? Anyone heard of Authentic Fragrances? Ordered something from them? Funny how I couldn't find anything at all, good or bad, about them... 

So, I've been busy this summer. Tried so many fragrances in order to find at least one for the next summer, I guess, as it was just not happening this one. Started out looking for a real deal sea. But...

- Pacific Rock Moss Goldfield & Banks Australia ( new formulation )

- Sel Marin James Heeley
- JHAG Vanilla Vibes
- Beach Bobbi Brown
- Alien Goddess Mugler
- Eau Des Merveilles Bleue Hermes
- Santal Vanille The 7 Virtues
- Salt Ellis Brooklyn
- Lili Fantasy JHAG
- Light Blue Sun D&G
- G. Armani Ocean Di Gioia
- G. Armani Light Di Gioia
- Sailing Day MMM
- Sunkissed Hibiscus Nest
- The Ghost In The Shell ELDO
- ERL Sunscreen Comme Des Garcons
- Sel-Vanille Maison Tahite Officine Creative Profumi
- Phaedon Sable & Soleil
- Coccobello James Heeley
- Parfums de Nicolai Musc Monoi
- Un Jardin Sur La Lagune Hermes
- Profumum Rome Acqua di Sale
- Kurkdjian Aqua Vitae
- Kurkdjian Aqua Universalis Forte
- Acqua Di Parma Yuzu edp
- Tom Ford Soleil Brulant
- Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Acqua
- Sud Pacifique Vanille Coco

There's probably more that I can't think of right now. But, anyway. I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Out of these, I really enjoyed:

- Pacific Rock Moss ( It reminds me of JM Wood Sage and Sea Salt, but with more... sea, I guess. And it's super refreshing. And longer lasting. )

- Sel Marin ( Kind of. It is very just lemonade on me. Salty lemonade. And then before it's gone, which is super fast, there is a beautiful real deal sea for a sec there. I wish it was like that from the beginning to the end! In that case, this one would be it! But, alas... )

- Sel-Vanille Maison Tahite ( Serious contender for a full bottle. Beautiful aquatic marine salty-sweetish vanilla done just right. The best in the "genre"! Imo... )

- Coccobello ( Super refreshing, green, non sweet, coconut. Beach scent in an unexpectedly fresh way. But non-existing on my skin. Oy! )

- Phaedon Sable & Soleil ( Kind of reminds me of Zoologist Squid in a way, but lighter. And with flowers. Just kind of. Can't explain it. There is something Squid-ish about it. ) 

- I am kind of liking The Ghost In The Shell. But I need to wear it more. It is not really a summery fragrance. To my nose it is actually all year round kind of a frag. But surprisingly pretty this one...

Edit: Oh! Santal Vanille is quite nice. But not for the summer. I mean, one can wear it ( or whatever else ) whenever they feel like it. Of course. I sure do. But it's not a summery kind of a fragrance. Just wanted to make that clear. 

@RavenR You've been on a roll, I love it! 😍 Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

@pocketvenus Ha! Yeah. 😛 But I give up now. Glad I tried them all, though. Maybe I'll try the ones I liked the most once more, sometime in the future... 

@RavenR - You've been busy!  Thanks for the update.  I'm sorry you haven't found the perfect scent yet, but I would think you're having fun test driving all these scents (at least to a point).  😄

@Titian06  Haha! Yep. To a point is right! It was fun and exciting at first. And I was really on a mission. But then it turned into a chore, kind of... And I started craving my darlings, from my own collection... So! I am done! Don't wanna try anything new any time soon! 😂

Is indiescents a legit web site? Any experience with them?

@RavenR I've placed a couple orders from them and all was good. It was a few years ago though and I'm not sure if the pandemic has affected their operations. Oddly, they charged USD but they shipped from Canada.

Thanks, @pocketvenus ! Good to know they are legit. I though they were in the US... I guess not? 

Do they have sales or some codes sometimes? 

@RavenR Yes ,I believe they are headquartered in Alberta. I'm afraid they do not have frequent sales.

The site that I've seen discount most frequently is Surrender to Chance though they've cut back a bit. For awhile it felt like there was like a sales every other week.

But Surrender to Chance only sells samples, right? A quick search showed only Indie Scents is offering this fragrance I am interested in getting. Full size. That's why I ask. But in the meantime I found out that Lucky Scent could order it for me ( with their regular order from the brand. They don't carry that particular fragrance any more because it is not popular/it doesn't sell, but they do carry others from the brand. ), so that would be more convenient I think. Given Indie Scent is in Canada and all. But they ( Lucky Scent ) don't ever have sales. Oh, well. Can't have it all I guess. 

@pocketvenus 

@RavenR You're right. They have partial and full bottles as well as samples and decants but these are pretty random. And yes, Luckyscent has really cut back on sales. I would definitely do research before ordering perfume over the border. Because of the alcohol content, it gets complicated.

@RavenR I got a newsletter from Scentrique that had a list of beachy scents. There are a couple you might want to test? Some have coconut though.

SWIM/SX — A MUSKY SALT — Aquatic & Sensual... It kept his code name that sums it up so well. SWIM/SX (for SPORT SEXY) evokes a sensual after-sun that tells us about a man or a woman after a sea bath... Its salty and desirable skin. Okoume wood and musks warm the floral-freshsolar accord of ylang-ylang, Pacific algae and rosewood, while a hint of Indian hemp soils the composition of a slight animalic dimension.

A LAB ON FIRE - Eau d'Ipanema will transport you to the sunny Rio with its gorgeous beaches, salty breeze the the smell of tropical fruits.

NEW CALEDONIA - Lemon blossoms, jasmine and Egyptian geranium, coconut milk, sandalwood from New Caledonia, vanilla, tonka bean and white musks compose Sable & Soleil. This "salty white floral" will take you to a distant destination sandy beaches, exotic flowers and crystal clear shimmering azure waters. Maybe not this one because of the coconut milk and sweet notes.

AGONIST - Soft, creamy, addictive. This vanilla’s explosion takes you to the beach! You won’t get enough of it. It will taste like a delicious candy on your skin. With Vanilla Infusion, Persian Almond, White Fig and base notes of Madagascar Vanilla and Siam Benzoin.

PIERRE GUILLAUME - A MARINE POEM COMPOSED WAVE AFTER WAVE… Entre ciel et mer (“Between sky and sea”) tells a story of etesian winds, azure skies and flying over seascapes at top speed… Icy, soaring and powerful, the first whiff feels as though it had been sculpted out of the Meltem – the north wind that blows over the Aegean Sea, with notes of crumpled, water-splashed leaves and the fruity-aromatic nuances of a lavender, pear and white thyme accord.

Thanks, @pocketvenus ! Hopefully I can try these somewhere, somehow... 

L'Artisan Parfumeur Couleur Vanille.

Ooo, I am kind of liking this! Marine/aquatic vanilla, slightly sweet, mostly salty, airy and sunny! 100% pleasant and relaxing. I am not the biggest fan of strong, and those usual, vanilla scents. Especially not super sweet and gourmand. Or your typical beachy/suntan lotion vanilla. This is not it! What a pleasant surprise! Soft vanilla, with just a touch of sweetness, dash of powder, and a lot of water and salt. You can feel its aquatic/marine aspect so clearly as if you were right there by the ocean. A nice, warm day out at or by the sea. You can smell the ocean air and all the salt in it. You can smell the sea salt mixing with the scent of your warm skin as you lay there soaking up the sun after a pleasant swim in the ocean. Vanilla is dominant, by not cloying. It’s there, surrounding you, as if hanging from green vines all around. There’s a slightly green, herbal hint to it. It’s just so super relaxing, and pleasant. This is not your usual beachy vanilla. And I like it. But I am guessing it is not gonna be interesting for those who like the usual vanilla. This is vanilla that grows from the sea water, sweet and salty, a bit sandy, fragrant and smooth. It gently envelops you with its green vines as if it wants to pull you back to the sea with it... I could wear this vanilla. 

@RavenR - This scent sounds wonderful!  I would live to give it a test drive!  😍

Twilly d'Hermes Eau Ginger.

Wow! When you first spray it, this beeeeautiful peony envelops you like a cushiony cloud, and floods your senses! Mmmmm! That was so nice! I am sure there is just a touch of creamy tuberose in there. Or maybe that's just an illusion. Anyway. That beauty is short lived. ( It lingered in the air for a while, though. ) Fresh ginger quickly shows up, and it is nice and refreshing, zingy and uplifting. I like it. But, again... short lived. It quiets down quickly. Barely there cedar stops by to bring the peony back again, shy and soft this time. And soon they become one with that fresh ginger, and they smell divine! Finally, that candied ginger shows up, too, and sweetens up the concoction a bit. Definitely not too much. The scent is just slightly sweet. It stays fresh and clean, soft and smooth, slightly creamy, but not much gingery at all... The notes are perfectly blended and in harmony with each other. The scent is quiet. It sits close to skin. But it stays around for a pretty decent amount of time.

Fresh, spicy, sparkly, clean, slightly creamy, very pleasant. Easy to wear. I am liking this. Just wish it were more of a ginger scent.

But, ugh... those hideous bottles!

@RavenR - Your description is awesome!  💖  I agree about the bottles!  😝

Thank you, @Titian06 !

I don't know what's the point of those bottles? I am not being sarcastic. I am asking. Really. Never looked it up to see if there's a story that goes with those. Maybe they make sense. But even if they do, I don't care. They are still... ugh...

Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 125 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos1
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 5.31.44 PM.png
testing