Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Questions about Maison Margiela Replica perfumes?

Hi! I've recently gained a lot of interest in the MM Replica line. After going to my local Sephora, though- I found that they aren't letting you sample perfumes (understandably), and they didn't even seem to have them there, despite the fact that it said they did online 😞

Anyways, I was mostly looking at:

1.) By The Fireplace

2.) Coffee Break 

3.) Jazz Club

4.) Whispers In The Library

and was wondering if you guys could give me some of your personal views of them? What do they really smell like? Would any of these work as every day/signature scents? Should I just buy one of the discovery/sampler sets?

For context: I am 20y/o and prefer scents that aren't super "feminine" (i.e: floral, powdery, fruity..). I was using YSL's Black Opium Intense for a few months and loved it, but recently ran out, which is why I'm on the market for a new scent! Thanks 🙂 

P.S.: i am very new to the world of perfumes and don't understand a lot of the technical or more official terms- please feel free to "dumb" things down for me lol! 

Re: Questions about Maison Margiela Replica perfumes?

@lztcntrrs @You’ve named some of my favorites from Replica, which would have to include Beach Walk, my fave summer fragrance.

1.) By The Fireplace: it’s smoky and sweet, a beautiful winter fragrance that makes you feel cozy as soon as you put it on. 

2.) Coffee Break: I was greatly disappointed by this fragrance’s description. It doesn’t smell a thing like coffee to my nose, however as a floral scent it’s nice enough. Would have made more sense to call it Garden Break. 

3.) Jazz Club: this is a boozy, sexy scent. Reminds me of Sarah Jessica Parker’s Stash, one of my favorite perfumes ever. It’s a night out on the town kind of scent, like you pre-gamed and are ready to dance the night away. 

4.) Whispers In The Library: my newest obsession, loved it so much I bought a full size bottle. It opens as a dry, peppery scent which mellows into a lovely gourmand vanilla. 

I love the discovery sets, but they’re just tiny samples so don’t be disappointed by the size. However, like many have noted, the longevity of these scents isn’t great. I find spraying the scents on my clothes as well helps with the silage and longevity a lot, otherwise the scents become skin scents rather quickly. 

Thank you!

I think I might try Whispers In The Library, or even Jazz Club!

I was curious about the Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Mini Discovery Set , since it seemed to include all the ones I was interested in (with the exception of Coffee Break) at a relatively affordable price point! I tend to spray perfumes on the skin and then a second spritz on my clothes anyway, so this may not be too big of an issue for me. 🙂

@lztcntrrs I've never smelled Coffee Break but the others are not as sweet as Black Opium except maybe By the Fireplace? Many people compare this to roasting marshmallows by the fire.

Jazz Club is pretty popular although it smells a little more masculine to me. It's often described as being similar to DOLCE&GABBANA The One Pour Homme Gift Set which is marketed to men.

Whispers is a woody vanilla. I found this one pleasant but also a bit forgettable.

They are pretty easy to wear and I would not describe them as feminine.

@lztcntrrs @Have you tried Nordstrom? They carry some of the line there to smell. I don’t know if they have samples. I know Sephora had Beachwalk as a sample last month. Out of the 4 you mentioned, I own the travel size of Coffee Break. It’s a good smelling perfume but doesn’t smell like what you would think. You can barely smell the hint of coffee in it.  I don’t think you can go wrong with the other three. I heard they smell really good too. Maybe the sample set is the way to go so you can try a variety from the brand since the regular size bottles are quite expensive and sometimes it can be hard to find the travel size in certain scents. 

Sadly, i don't have a Nordstrom near me 😞

Coffee Break is actually one of the ones I'm most interested in! What does it smell like? I know Black Opium Intense also has a hint of coffee to it, but it's subtle as well.

I've heard great things reviews of all four; I think I might try another in my area, but will call ahead this time 🙂

@lztcntrrs  you can always look at reviews to see what others think about something.  someone posted here (in the fragrance thread, I believe) about how it smelled like lavender instead of coffee.  I've seen reviews that say the same thing also.  I love lavender, but I love coffee also, so I'm not sure how I'd feel, lol.

perfumes often smell different than you think they will, so it's best to smell first, or get a sample or mini, if you can.  I'd been wanting to try Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Beach Walk 3.4 oz/ 100 mL eau de toilette spray forever, since I love coconut and was expecting a beachy smell,  but since they only have the big bottle, and there's no store near me, I wasn't able to try it...until I saw it in the Sephora Favorites Sephora Favorites POP Set .  needless to say, for $15, it was a steal.  sadly, it's a lot more floral than I thought (at least at first).  It's still nice, but not quite the 'beachy' perfume I was expecting.  so I'd at least get a sample or mini, if you can. I know there is a set of a mini beach walk and jazz club for $25.  that might be your best bet to at least try one of them.  Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Mini Duo Coffret Set .  I have samples of that one and by the fireplace, though I'm not sure where they are now, to be able to smell them.  I remember them smelling as I thought they would, though, and if you like spicy or unisex scents, those are right up your alley. 👍

@lztcntrrs I'm not good with perfume scents.  I can say that it is a very light sweet smell with a hint of coffee.

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing