Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

S122350_XLARGE.jpg

Oh that sounds pretty nice! It seems like Chanel hasn't had a big hit fragrance in a long time

I was wondering if Tom Ford has done a coffret of mini's?

I sure would love to get a collection of TF in smaller sizes.

@PaletteAddict99 they have.

yeare ago there was a set with 12 of the private blends in small vials.

i bought the more recent one for myself for Christmas last year - it contains 6 12ml bottles from the private blend line - jasmin rouge, noir de noir, neroli portofino, Tuscan leather, oud wood and tobacco vanille.

of course, like most TF it is more expensive than most coffrets. In Canada it went for $385+tax 

Oh that sounds like a wonderful set! I hope they do one this year. I think it is worth it for TF's individuality and quality. Thanks, I'm going to keep an eye out then.

I received a sample of MMM Jazz Club and used it, not realizing it was a male fragrance, but, I love it!

I think it's such a unique seductive fragrance. I'm considering purchasing the travel spray. 

It's not too masculine, right?

Not at all, @shopaholic15!

To be honest, the 'mens' scents are the only ones I like from MMM. 🙂  All the 'women' ones are too floral for me, LOL.

Thanks for the reassurance @Mochapj 😄

I just received my Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Lys Soleia. It's the first time I "blind buy" a perfume, but it was such a great deal on a LE scent from a few years ago, I figured it was now or never. I get along well with Guerlinades and the description sounded up to my alley. 

Anyway, I loved it. It opens somewhat like La Chasse Aux Papillon, but it dries into a subtle sweet scent.

I think I may have nose fatigue today, because I'm usually better at distinguishing scents. Anyone else has this one?

I have this. I love it. It's my winter white floral, the winter counterpart to my TerraCotta Le Parfum which I love and wear all the time in the spring and summer.

It's lasts a heck of a long time too for an EDT..

@AnneMCC I'm loving it for summer, but I can definitely see it as gorgeous winter scent.  I found it lasts forever if I spray it over the clothes. On my skin it lasts less than an hour, but that may be my chemistry, most perfumes don't last long on me. I never tried Terracotta, but I've been curious to try it - soon 🙂

I'm so out of the fragrance game, I just got to really appreciate JM Peony & Blush Suede today! I got it with my Red Roses purchase last Fall, and have worn it a few times last winter, but maybe the cold weather never let this scent properly...diffuse? Since it's a warm weather scent?

All I can say is WOW. I LOVE it!

Dropping off some notes on some newer things I've tried...

Carner Barcelona Costarela

Notes: bergamot, saffron, sea, sand, cedar, ambroxan, amber

Smells ultra citrusy and also sort of margarita-ish.  Then becomes sweet and ultimately, fleeting.  Doesn't last more than 2 hours. 😞

Comme Des Garcons by Grace Coddington Grace (paging @jemly)

Notes: peach blossom, moroccan rose, white musk, amber
Starts out quite soapy smelling, like Ivory Snow or dryer sheets.  Eventually softens into a classic soft rose, with a hint of warmth and softness from white musk.  I don't get any peach blossom, sadly.  Has some watery, aquatic qualities, too.

Apoteker Tepe Pale Fire
Notes: amber, labdanum, vanilla, olibanum, oak moss, whiskey, cocoa
Smells like boozy hot chocolate.  Loads of vanilla too, with a touch of resinous smokiness.  Fairly straightforward and linear.

Apoteker Tepe Karasu
Notes: costus root, siam wood, hinoki, smouldering paper, cardamom
Smells like extremely musty old paper, and really stale BO.  Eventually there is a sort of old, dirty money smell, too.  I was looking forward to this one the most, and it was the biggest disappointment 😞

I went into a Chanel boutique to try some of the Les Exclusifs line, and heard that the EdTs will be discontinued and replaced with EdPs next year. It turns out this is old news on fragrance forums though.

I haven't sampled the whole line, but I think I am falling in love with Coromandel. It is incense-y and woodsy, and a dirty patchouli-chocolate mix 😍 Cuir de Russie is another marvelous one, though I am not sure it is something i would be comfortable wearing. I also sniffed the new Boy; based on my initial impression SL Gris Clair >> Boy 😆

Will they still be sold in enormous sizes?

I didn't think to ask, but someone in a basenote thread (google 'chanel exclusifs edp') said that they would still be 75 & 200ml bottles. I guess the prices of the current EdTs would go up to match Boy's since it's been released as an EdP..?

I would be happy to pass along the info of the SA who helped me if you want 😄

I hadn't even noticed that Boy was edp! I figured they were just raising the prices 😉 I like iris so interested to check this one out. 

Any Kilian fans here? I love this brand and have several full bottles. I see there seems to be a flood of new ones being released that I never hear anything about. I see there are 2 new ones being released that I can;t seem to find any information for except for a few blurbs through Instagram:

Desert Flower by Kilian
Bringing a deep and intense light, Turkish rose and jasmine contrast a very dark woodsy trio of sandalwood, patchouli and leather, ultimately exploding with oud essence and vanilla

Invitingly fresh and powdery, with perfect balance between delicate rose and sweet marshmallow, MIDNIGHT IN LONDON by Kilian descends as powerful sensual nectar

I love Kilian!  Kilian does quite a few Middle East exclusives - I'm guessing desert flower might be one of those- there is a boutique in Dubai that hosts a lot of the ME exclusives and I'm dying to get there sometime to check them out.  

Found this about on Midnight in London: 

"If you make it to our boutique in New York City on Washington street before midnight London time, you'll be rewarded with a sample of this ONE-OF-A-KIND fragrance visiting US for a limited engagement
Midnight in London by Kilian"

I have a great SA in Chicago who is great about sending samples and letting me know about events - let me know if you want her info!

I'd love the name of your SA

@sister13 sorry I just saw this now!

Thanks but I have a really nice one too 🙂

Although I do think you are right in that these two need ones are exclusives that might be hard to get my hands on to sample. I hope I can find them!

4,247 Replies
testing