Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

i've only ever heard amazing things about coromandel (though i've frankly never paid attention to if people were talking about the edp or edt !!) but i've never gotten my nose on it. i'm a benzoin fanatic.

I don't even like patchouli or incense usually, but this is fantastic. It probably helped me appreciate TF Vert d'Encens as well. Until this september only the EDT (and pure parfum?) was available, but Chanel is discontinuing *all* the Les Exclusifs EDTs and replacing them with EDPs.

I picked up samples of several of the new TF scents on Friday at the Nordies Toronto pre-opening, and I've been meaning to come and post about Vert D'Encens since I tried it a few weeks ago.

I tried Ombre Leather 16 and Vert Des Bois over the weekend - here are some thoughts:

Ombre Leather 16

Notes: violet leaf, cardamom, jasmin sambac, black leather, white moss, patchouli
The opening is very, very leathery, but more like suede mixed with a little tea?  It has some similarities to Tuscan Leather, but where that is reminiscent of a well tanned handbag or jacket, Ombre Leather is more like a soft suede glove.  After a few hours the suede starts to dissipate a little, and there is soft powderiness of violet leaf and I get hints of ashiness.  It is a skin scent on me.  The patchouli in it reminds me a lot of Serge Lutens Borneo 1834.  

Vert Des Bois
Notes: plum, olive tree, anise, poplar, jasmine, mastic, wood, tonka, patchouli 
Very woody.  Plum and licorice/anise forward at the beginning.  Plum notes rarely bloom well on me, and this reminds me of the plum in Olfactive Studio Selfie, but a little less boozy and funky.  I get some grassy/wicker/lemongrass notes from it, probably from the cardamom.  It has loads of anise to it for several hours - like black licorice candy.  After that drops off it loosens up into a woody patch scent.  Interesting but overall not my cup of tea.

Vert D'Encens
Notes: incense, pine, fir, heliotrope, wood, resin, boxwood
I love this scent so much.  It smells of cold weather and evergreen forests.  For anyone who has ever smelled TF's discontinued Moss Breches this is definitely related to it.  But where MB is very green, mossy and balsamic, Encens is a little more saccharine.  The heliotrope gives it a sort of almond/tonka bean sweetness.  There is a lot of pine, both in needle and sap form.  It's an easy scent to over-apply.  It's possible it's a little too heady for summer but I think it's going to be glorious come winter.

Vert D'Encens was my favourite of the three Vert releases - but I love incense. I liked the resinous, smoky drydown but I have too many smoky scents as it is!

Thanks @Mochapj!! I thought Ombre Leather was going to be my bag but Vert D'Encens is feeling even more my thing!

Thank you so much for these details, @Mochapj! It put Vert d'Encens on my radar when I never would have thought of it before. I just bought my first Tom Ford perfumes last week (Tobacco Vanille and Soleil Blanc) and now I think I'm going to have to put Vert d'Encens on my to-buy list for the sale in November. I like the idea of a combo of pine & a bit of sweetness - what a perfect fall/winter scent.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. My decants are on order and I am looking forward to them even more after reading this, especially Vert D'encens

No problem!  I can't wait to hear what you think 🙂

I've already purchased a FS of Encens, but I'm now considering Ombre Leather 16, too - which I wasn't expecting to like at all 😄

Still waiting on my vert decants but I love ombre leather. I wore it yesterday and it faded after a couple hours but I guess I didnt put very much on. I tried it again today and it isnt fading. I love that it really smells like leather but not super smoky- more expensive handbag than cathedral, lol. I will seriously consider a bottle of this when the weather gets cooler. Are you getting it @Mochapj?

I wasn't planning to, but I've worn it 4 times since I got my sample so I think I have to 😂

I went a bit decant mad this weekend to distract from holiday releases on sephora. In addition to these, I ordered:

• slumberhouse sibet
  • the different company white zagora and adjatay
  • half the new vuitton release- hopefully the rest will be available soon

I posted this on the trade thread but wanted to ask here as well, does anyone have the little pink Nordstrom atomizer from their scent event earlier this year? I'd be willing to trade, barter, etc. 😉 thanks

oh my god atelier cologne candles !!!!!!!!! a ROSE ANONYME CANDLLLLLLEEEE !!!

Enticing..😍

Hi scenty people!

Can anyone recommend fragrances similar to Chanel No. 18? I really really love that one (I know it's hit or miss for people) but the only available option right now is 6.8 oz for $280. I don't need a vat of it, so I'm looking into alternatives. 

Thanks in advance. 🙂

For those interested in a low-buy way to try the new TF Ombre Leather there's a deal on  Luckyscent :

Leather.PNG

Does anyone have thoughts to share on McQueen Parfum or EdP? 

I received a sample of the EdP in an order, and my first impression is that it is a much better version of TF Orchid Soleil 😅 

Can I just add that I LOVE the bottle for the parfum? I would almost buy it just for that. The gold feathers motif from the last couture collection that AM did before he died? So beautiful. I saw the couture gown at a mcqueen exhibit and it was breathtaking. 

I remember being absolutely fascinated with his gowns at the Met exhibit. Yes the bottle is stunning! Even if i end up not loving the juice, I wouldn't mind having it just for display 😆

I have the Parfum and I love it. It's very different from what I have in my collection (a bunch of white florals) - kind of old world feeling. The sillage is fantastic and scent is not overpowering. The parfum is a very intimate scent, that another person can smell if s/he is standing very close to you.

I haven't tried TF Orchid Soleil. How different is it from Black Orchid or Velvet Orchid?

I would love to sample the McQueen EdP at some point. Hopefully Sephora will carry this line soon.

It's been forever since I tried the older Orchids since I really disliked them. Orchid Soleil was tolerable for me lol. Sorry for not being of much help! Fragrantica has a bunch of reviews that might give you a better idea? FYI Saks has the EdP as a bonus sample with any beauty purchase. Now that I like the EdP, I wanna try the parfum 😄

4,241 Replies
testing