Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Not sure if you're only looking for fragrance suggestions, but you could always make a trip to the Bite Lip Lab 😉

I'll have to give the fragrance part some thought.  I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Bite! That was the first thing that came to my mind when this trip was confirmed, but they were already fully booked for my dates 😞 

Aw, that's the poops @TriesToBoClassy

But I coincidentally recalled what it was I was forgetting.

I'd highly recommend Twisted Lily in Brooklyn.  One of my favorite perfume shops 😉

Aha, I remember you mentioning the place! I will try to make a visit 😄 Thank you!!

Cross posted from the TF thread; more details about Les Vert Extraits upcoming perfume collection:

There are 4 scents;

Vert Encens

The unbridled nature of the Corsican Coast, known as "The Perfumed Isle", inspires a distinguished scent at once sophisticated, aromatic and wild. Smoky incense, pine resin and fir balsam evoke the dense forest and rugged peaks, while delectable heliotrope and woods heighten the grand atmosphere of sea and shadow.

Vert des Bois

Private Blend Vert des Bois introduces provocative woods at their most expressive. An inventive ingredient in modern perfumery, poplar bud extract infuses avant-garde edge to traditional green. The extract from the unopened buds is further driven by spiked ouzo, evoking the deepest thicket of snow-laden forest.

Vert Fleur 

details still TBA, but initial info says it is a galbanum heavy vetiver scent.

Vert Boheme

Sparkling and infallible like a jewel gleaming in the Sun, Private Blend Vert Bohéme is TOM FORD's interpretation of green at its most free-spirited. Sicilian, Mandarin and Magnolia exude Bohemian femininity, exquisitely enhanced with gustavia, also known as "The Tree of Heaven", known for its spectacular single blossoms that last for just one day. The fresh vibrancy awakens a divine first bloom, crystal-clear and exposed. spectacular single blossoms that last for just one day. The fresh vibrancy awakens a divine first bloom, crystal-clear and exposed.

Also of note, Bois Marocain is being rereleased for Fall;

The exotic culture of Morocco inspired this mesmerizing scent featuring the rare and mysterious thuya wood. Evocative of rich cedar with exotic facets of incense, patchouli and earthy vetiver, the essence of thuya wood is the heart of this irresistible fragrance.

I'll be interested to smell Vert Encens; it sounds an awful lot like the discontinued Moss Breches that I love so much.

Thank you for posting this! I'd be curious to hear what people think Vert Encens & Vert des Bois will end up smelling like. I don't know enough about fragrance to really 'visualize' what these fragrances will end up being, but both sound interesting to me.

!!!! This is so exciting. I have been on a green/chypre/moss kick recently. I can't wait to try these!

image.jpegHas anyone tried any of the Dolce &Gabanna Velvet line? I don't see them at any of the usual decant places but this one released this month sounds really interesting. 

I have a few samples @lipstick4soul! I think I've tried 2 of the 4 I got. But I really like Desert Oud. Though, it really just reminds me of Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. 

Thanks @Libellules. I contacted Nordstrom to see if they would be getting it since they carry the rest and was told it was a Saks exclusive. I will see if I can get a sample from them or direct. I am really curious. 

I'm strangely glad I'm not the only one having issues tracking down samples of these.

so i tried my sample of derek lam 'silent st.' which i was drawn to because of the name, entirely. it's not my thing. it smells like pantene pro-v in the 90s (which isn't a bad smell at all; just....ya know, been there, done that). 

THAT SAID, it's not unpleasing--there's a quiet prettiness to it-- and there is something rather comforting about it (that may be the nostalgia element for me). i've been putting a bit on before going to bed and it's been nice !

Question for those who are familiar with Maison Frances Kirkdjian, particularly his A la rose. Any yays or nays? I very much prefer Diptyque's Eau Rose over Jo Malone's Red Roses (though my absolute fave rose scent so far is Diptyque Eau Plurielle, which doesn't seem to get a well-deserved attention...)... any similarities to these two? How about to TF Cafe Rose? 

Any general observations regarding MFK would be much appreciated, too! 🙂

Thank you both so much, @jemly and @TriesToBoClassy, for your input! Whew, good to know there are better rose fragrances than JM Red Roses. I couldn't pinpoint what it was, but it always smelled so... old and cheap to me for some reason. Now that you say it, maybe it was the powderiness that I was kind of repelled by. I had no idea TF Noir de noir was a nice, sophisticated rose- have never smelled that one. Next time I go to a counter I'll make sure to try it out! 

And TTBC's description of A la rose kind of seals the deal for me! Green roses is right up my alley- kind of like how I'm so drawn to Eau Plurielle. Since NM has a GWP going on w/ MFK, I might try it out. Thanks much again! 😄

I am not very familiar with MFK, but I own a travel set that includes A La Rose. Most if not all of the scents seem to have some amount of musk in them. They are all lovely- feminine, clean and refined, if almost too much so. Imo there is an overall lack of distinctiveness or playfulness. A lot of them would make great elegant office scents.

Still I really like some of them (Oud Satin Mood, A La Rose, Baccarat 540(not part of my set)). A La Rose is one of those light/citrusy/green roses. It starts bright and citrusy, and evolves into a soft clean rose with an undercurrent of musk. It is more elegant than Diptyque Eau Rose(though I love the lychee sweetness of Eau Rose), but has none of the powderiness of Jo Malone Red Roses(which isn't my favorite either). TF Cafe Rose is quite different from all three imo.

Hope this helps 🙂

@NarNarNars hi ! cafe rose is just a light hint "darker" than diptyque eau rose (which i agree, is my favorite fresh rose out there really; and i can't stand JM red roses as it's that cloying sort of rose to my nose), but not as "dark" and heavy as, say, the TF noir de noir (which is a velvety patch/rose mix). i can't, though, really get the coffee beans from the cafe rose, unfortunately. worth checking out, for sure, but not as complex as the notes-on-paper may suggest.

i haven't tried the MFK but if you get your nose on that report back !!!

I agree with all this. In my head Cafe Rose is closer to Noir de Noir than to Eau Rose, though it's been a while i sniffed any of them 😛

I dont like JM Red Roses cologne, but i like the bath oil version. It's much fresher and greener 🙂

Does anyone know if Sephora is going to carry Midnight Shimmer from Michael Kors?  I've tried it and it's perfect for fall/winter, but I'd rather purchase it from Sephora than Macy's.

Anyone tried Atelier Cologne's Camélia Intrépide yet?

The description sounds great 

"This fragrance is inspired by the icon of aviation, Amelia Earhart, who challenged the world and followed her own destiny. The scent speaks of the whispering of the air through the cockpit, the smell of earth telegraphed by the wind, and the leather notes of Earhart’s Lockheed Electra."

"Notes:
Bergamot, Nutmeg, Lemon, Iris, Violet, Camelia, Rose, White Leather, Amber.
Style:
Floral. Green. Romantic."

http://www.sephora.com/cam-lia-intr-pide-P410189?skuId=1836584&icid2=%20just%20arrived%3Ap410189

Screenshot_20160715-042613.jpg

So... Louis Vuitton is debuting their fragrance line in September. Wonder if the fragrances will be available at Sephora as well, as Sephora is an LVMH company. 

I'm dying to know what they smell like! 🙂

*cross-posting in the beauty news thread*

From a FT article: "Shrouded in secrecy up until now, this new release, due in September, will be a collection of fragrances of which many will focus on pure floral notes, as well as a new note from Louis Vuitton leather. An innovative CO2-extraction method has been developed to preserve the essence of the flowers, which include Grasse rose and jasmine. Distribution will be selective. Don’t expect to pick one up when passing through duty-free — this will be available from Louis Vuitton boutiques only."

.....sounds like they will form a line comparable to Hermessence, Chanel Les Exclusifs etc..? I wonder what the price point will be. Pure florals and leather are totally up my alley 😆😅

4,247 Replies
testing