Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Aesop-Othertopias-Ouranon-Event_1-768x960

Aesop is releasing its final Othertopias fragrance with “Ouranon”, a gender-neutral, spicy, woody floral with notes of citrus, petitgrain, elemi, lavender, tonka, frankincense and myrrh. While the citrus element initially opens up the fragrance, once dried down on the skin, sensorial aromatics of chamomile and hay take over, with the universal chameleon of patchouli driving it home.

I quite enjoyed this line so will definitely test this one.

trudon_-_vixi_-_lifestyle_1-1

A journey towards lightness, Vixi reveals the spiritual strength of a Nepalese sandalwood, the sacred nature of sage, the freshness of bitter orange petit grain natural oil and the flowery perfume of jasmine essence.

Experienced nose Emilie Bouge imagined Vixi like a flow of life filled with clarity, an exploration of inner light.

Featuring precious Nepalese sandalwood, praised by oriental philosophies, and sage, used in purification rituals, Vixi welcomes a renaissance, a regenerative scent filled with wisdom.

Additional notes include cardamom and cedar.

Trudon is another house I quite like even though it is a candle company. From the notes, I'd probably go for something bolder but it sounds pretty.

@pocketvenus They both sound very interesting. Sad that they did not have any longevity. Some people do love to respray for that fresh opening though.

@pocketvenus - Both of these sound nice! 😍

Oooh, I’m intrigued by the new Aesop @pocketvenus. I may need to go into the store; I’ve been meaning to, to test the other scent you mentioned a while back. I usually just run in and out of stores when I’m downtown but maybe I’ll make more time to look around the next time I’m that way. 

@itsfi They are really interesting, worth checking out ❤️ My only complaint is that on me, they dry down to a skin scent relatively quickly

0831_SP_DIPTYQUE_01_PERSPECTIVE_SURREALISTE_G_RM

New candle series from Diptyque!

Les Mondes de Diptyque is a new collection of five refillable candles. The fragrances are from perfumer Olivia Giacobetti

• La Forêt Rêve (mauve, a "fantastical forest" in the "Mexican jungle"; with tuberose, ylang ylang, jasmine, vanilla and galbanum); 
  • La Vallée du Temps (smoke/white, "Jingdezhen....cradle of Chinese porcelain, also famous for its white tea", with white tea, maté and jasmine); 
  • Nymphées Merveilles (blue/gray, "gardens of the Renaissance", with orange blossom, jasmine and iris); 
  • Temple des Mousses (green, "a Japanese Zen garden...not far from Kyoto", with moss, cedar and matcha); 
  • Terres Blondes (terracotta, "Mesa Verde. On the high plateaux of Colorado", with wheat bran, red cedar and burnt earth). The 270g candles are $285 each, the refills are $135.

These sound beautiful. I want to smell the Forest of Dreams as I love white florals with galbanum. I also like Giacobetti's work. She did the fig perfumes for L'Artisan and Diptyque, L'Artisan's Dzing! and Malle's En Passant.

These took my breath away @pocketvenus ! Wow so pretty and they sound delicious. Pricey rascals tho! 😭

@Sunnysmom Indeed! Like so many other companies, Diptyque has raised their prices very rapidly in the past few years!

Wow I guess @pocketvenus ! I used to think Diptyque was fairly reasonable! I’m weird tho. I don’t seem to mind paying more for makeup or skincare but somehow fragrance and candles especially just gut me! 🤦🏻‍♀️

@Sunnysmom The profit margins on these products are utterly ridiculous so I don't blame you!! Diptyque definitely used to be one of the more reasonable houses but I suppose they need to "keep up with the Joneses" as it were. They have hiked the prices for their perfumes considerably as well though not to the degree as the Estee Lauder brands.

I’m sure @pocketvenus ! And I don’t know why I’m being this way about candles. Lol Who am I kidding. Every category has gone up up up it seems like! Ugh. 

@Sunnysmom Compared to the inflation we've seen in rent, mortgages and groceries in Toronto, makeup and scented products are practically a steal 😂

Ah I know @pocketvenus 🥹😢. Whenever I complain I look at your prices/costs and just feel so badly! Hugs! 💞

@Sunnysmom 💞 Thank you - I was kidding around but yes, the financial pressures on people living in Toronto are real! There are lineups at food banks like I've never seen before. Our remaining frontline public workers are burnt out, especially nurses, teachers and librarians - all female dominated professions. For those already ground down by the pandemic, there has been no respite - all while a class of Torontonians has seen their net worth surge...

Wow @pocketvenus , that’s really sad. I’ve never been but Toronto has always been so interesting to me. Our homeless, 😢, don’t get me started. It’s just terrible and so beyond sad. I feel so helpless. 

@Sunnysmom We are not taught much about what we can do. Please feel free to DM me if you are concerned about growing issues like homeless populations, have the capacity to contribute but don't know where to start! ❤️ I won't know your city well, but I can sketch out how to find different types of groups supporting the unhoused and other groups. Be well <333

Thank you @pocketvenus , will do! 🥰

These look good @pocketvenus. I don’t need more candles but I don’t know if I can resist at least seeing how they smell. 🤔 

Comparing Lancome La Vie est Belle OG to La Vie est Belle Iris Absolue: The OG LVEB has always been warm, sweet, a tiny spice, golden (as in amber or caramel) to me. Wait a minute now. After smelling LVEB Iris Absolue, the OG LVEB is now bright, light, and the golden is now somewhat lemon-y. The first spray of Iris Absolue was a bit of a nose tweaker for me. That effect died down after an hour or two melting into more of an OG LVEB scent without the really warm, sweet openings leaving the floral component. After about five hours on my wrist the fragrance was totally gone. I decided to try it on my clothing and on paper plus compare Iris Absolue to the original since at that point I'm thinking this flanker isn't far enough off the original to bother having them both. Maybe just an amped up original that is amped up with the floral components of the OG enough to tweak my nose. After comparing the two side by side the OG now seems bright, and the Iris Absolue seems earthy, dark and somewhat licorice-y. It's more mature than LVEB OG.

Iris Absolue is definitely more intense to me than the OG LVEB. Not as long lasting on the skin or clothing though. On paper Iris Absolue retains that musty grit while LVEB does not retain it's warmth and just leaves the bright floral component. I can definitely scent my room spraying once each on paper. I can smell them today across the room. I think Iris Absolue needs three sprays on the new bottle to get it's full effect. I'm kinda on the fence with Iris Absolue. I like it but I dislike nose tweakers. The second spray on clothing wasn't so tweaky. The licorice-y, gritty, dark scent didn't arrive until the third spray which was on paper. I think that spray will last for days. So I'm going to have to weigh pros and cons and figure out whether a return is in order. I definitely would NOT recommend more than one or two sprays at a time. I apologize for this post being all over the place. I need a thought "a" 1, 2, 3, thought "b" 1, 2, 3. Etc haha 

@Margalee - It helps to write down your thoughts, @Margalee !  You might as well write them here where they might help someone else...or be interesting reading for someone like me! 😄  I just got a GWP, a baggie full of stuff, including a bunch of perfume samples.  I never thought of spraying on paper before.  That might be a good idea since some scents can trigger migraines.  Thanks for the idea! 😘

@Titian06 Ooo, lucky you! And you're welcome! I really do need to jot notes to get my thoughts in order tho. My initial intention wasn't room scent but the more I sat there the next morning the more I thought, " gee, I could scent the room with this." I really was surprised at how strong they still were even from a few feet away.

4,241 Replies
testing