Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

If you're layering fragrance and lotion, I would put lotion first, then fragrance.  

If you're layering multiple fragrances, I would probably go heaviest to lightest.  

Oil and spray I would put the oil first. 

Thank you so much Mocha! I'm putting this on a sticky note 🙂

Last night I was returning an item to Saks (broken Secret Santa palette... sad face), so of course I had to wander over to the fragrance counters. Immediately, I was accosted by a very passionate, heavily fragranced salesperson for By Kilian. In two moves, she whisked me over to her counter and introduced the entire line to me, to include Kilian's "vision." I wasn't sold at all, but I enjoyed listening to her because of her passion for the line... it seemed genuine. 

Most of the scents were nondescript and powdery, to me; others were overly fruity. To my nose, all were cloying except one. 

Here's my dilemma: I don't like the brand. I'm not sold. I don't like the mythology behind Kilian himself, I don't like his "vision", I don't like the brand's aesthetic. And I strongly dislike the names of the fragrances. The price point is more than I can justify at the moment, too: $270 for 50ml.

But, oh, that one. It's called Light My Fire (again, hate the names). It's perfect. It smells like a fine cigar, and vetiver, and honey. She sent me home with a sample and insisted on spraying it on me before I left, and I'm just in love with it.

I'm tempted to find something similar (according to reviews on Fragrantica, several people have noted that SL's Chergui is close...), just because the line has so many strikes against it, in my mind. Or should I bite the proverbial bullet and buy this one? What should I do?

ETA: the notes, if anyone's in interested in giving a "dupe" suggestion: tobacco, cumin, patchouli, vetiver, honey, vanilla, heliotrope, tonka, and birch.

Ha, I love Kilian, myself!  I actually have a signed bottle of the newest one on it's way to me, lol.  But, I know it is all so personal and many people find it too over the top.  

I find that several Kilian fragrances have depth and longevity on me that justifies the price (for me).  although I'm still holding off on Amber Oud after buying the TF Amber Absolute since it is limited.  I can't remember if I have a Light My Fire sample at home - but my SA made me a free purse spray of Intoxicated last year that I've been hoarding.  It kind of knocks you over with booze but I love it - for certain occasions.  

I also like that they sell refills and you might even consider getting just the refill (usually around $180 I think?), which I think may come with some small travel spray bottles.  I've been contemplating getting that for Amber Oud one day. 

I love Kilian as well. I find the fragrances complex and you can't beat the longevity. I have 4 bottles so far and I try to stay away as it is the one fragrance line that always tempts me!

This made me laugh!  I would not buy without a few more samples to make sure you LOVE.  I mean.......$270! 

I have a question bc I have never noticed otherwise.

If you go to the Kilian counter at Saks and ask for a sample....do they have to give you one? Or, are they allow to say, no?

Right now I am wearing Kilian Sacred Wood.  But, I can wear Jazz Club, Commodity Gold or Whiskey and be just as happy.

Have they said no to you??

i actually went to the counter in the summer to pick up a sample that was recommended to me by a Tom Ford SA, and the Killian counter *did not* want to give me one! They tried every which way to get me to just buy the bottle and return if I didn't want it. Crazy. 

Yea, that is crazy!!! What do they say?

We do not have samples??  Lol!

I have never asked for a sample and actually just starting asking for samples at Sephora.

This is why I was curious.  I have read that  the counters at TF won't give you any and you can't buy them........soooo, you blindly buy $300 perfume???? Lol!

At 'our' NM and Saks when you buy something they are usually really generous with the samples at checkout.

That's pretty much what I asked them when they would not lay off... "Soooo...do you guys not do samples??" "Ohhh, no, of course we do!" Darn tootin you do. They gave me my sample. It was for my bf, but he was meh, I liked it for me :x O.O

Really?! Tom Ford at Neimans is SUPER generous (that's where I go). My SA usually throws a handful at me, and will ask what I want from the Private Blend. 

Saks is pretty good too, though the SA there rubbed me the wrong way when I reached out to her about not getting an atomizer with my online order of a large bottle from Saks. Oh well. Let me know if you have any issues at "our" NM 😉

'Our' NM! Hate the suburbs!  Lol!

I have never asked. This is what I read online on the perfume sites.

darn tootin!  Lol!

sorry about Saks! You always need a backup. Lol!  I don't like how far away it is from the other shoppes.

LMAO!

You must ask! They're really generous, and honestly very friendly.

Yes, absolutely lol. And the lady at Nordstrom comes on a bit strong O.O

LOL, a bit O/T but I always thought Killian was a woman 😮

So I would ask, for $270 can you honestly say to yourself that it doesn't smell like anything else you've ever smelled before? Because the description you gave (very much to my tastes too) sounds on par with some of the heavier women's fragrances currently on the market. Add to that your personal reservations against the brand and it sounds more like this scent is flirt-worthy, but not commitment material. 🙂

Definitely flirt-worthy, and I'm into finding a "dupe"... I've even considered that layering a couple of the Etat fragrances (Dangerous Complicity and Fat Electrician, namely) may produce a similar result. But I definitely haven't personally smelled something like it when it blooms on my own skin. The honey and vetiver linger, particularly, and I think that's what I'm drawn to.

Mmmm that does sound lovely!! Ooh what about Fat Electrician with Replica Jazz club? It has that sweet/smoky thing going on and lingering tobacco.

I tried a sample of FE once and I got nothing but green-ness from it. I wanted to like it so bad because of the name but something in my chemistry just knocked out all the other notes.

That could actually work, too! I do like Jazz Club quite a bit. It contains a note that usually doesn't work with my skin (neroli), but it's just buried enough that I can wear it without it becoming displeasing to me.

I found the same for FE-- it's definitely almost entirely green on the dry-down, but it still had a coziness to it that I really enjoyed as it settled in through the day.

Huge fan of Jazz Club for hubby, makes me want to do "bad" things. 

I can only it apply it on my wrist, definitely not on the trunk of the body due to smokiness of the tobacco scent.

i'm happpppyyyyyy

kerosene.jpg

OMG WHAT GLORIOUS BEUATY!!

So pretty. ♥

Anonymous Insider

WOW.

4,247 Replies
testing