Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Ohhhh, got it. I usually spray on paper for my first test. Then if it doesn't give me a headache and I think I might like it, I do a skin test. 😉

With the exception of a few random vials I've gotten through GWP or trades, everything in my 'to try' stash is something I've picked out or purchased as a decant because I thought I would like it.  Everything in that pile always ends up on my skin.

I have a larger pile of vials that I've gotten with purchases that I'll never try - those get given away instead 😉

ETA: Yeah, Italian Cypress is pretty good.  I think it might be a touch too masculine for me (and I like a lot of woodsy/manly ones) but it also reminds me of something I already own.  I'm going to retry it at some point. 

I really loved italian cypress. I think it is too masculine for me to wear though. 

Zulilly has Demeter fragrances over 50% off today.

Hopefully I can pose this question here....

To anybody who keeps a fragrance journal/log, what do you write down? 

I'm going to start one up again, and was half "butting" my old one..

I was writing down the notes that the companies provide as well as what I smelled and the longevity of each scent. One new idea is to also write the memory or feeling that the scent evokes.

I'm interested in what everybody else does here.

Thanks

In my journal I write down the name, the listed notes and what I smell.  I write down things it makes me feel, things a scent reminds me of, and if I smell certain notes in it that aren't necessarily listed.  I make notes on whether something is long lasting, turns into a skin scent, or has a very broad projection.

I usually also note the date or season I'm trying something, in case I want to re-try it at a specific time.

so i've started doing this recently too !

the first thing i do is write down a black & white first impression. WOW: LOVE, i think i like this, i'm not sure, and NOPE. i then write down what i *think* is in it (if i don't know already). and then i check what the actual notes are and jot those down too. i make a point to revisit the scent (may it be later in the day as it evolves, or just at another time days / weeks later) and write down if my initial first impressions have changed.

i think writing down memories the scents evoke is not only a great idea, but helpful when it comes to learning about notes. you'll find the common notes that are attached to certain memories, which can be fascinating. for example, jasmine + amber reminds me of my late grandmother (who died in 1996, it's a distant memory but she was very very dear to me). it all started when bvlgari jasmin noir reminded me of her, even though it was released in 2008. whenever i would come across something that reminded me of her, i'd write it down, and eventually figured out it was that jasmine/amber combo that triggered me. no one remembers what she wore, but i wish i could figure it out as i'd kill for a bottle of whatever it is.

Does anyone else have so many perfume samples that they have no interest in but feel guilty getting rid of? I almost want to start a TSB

Yes. I have a ton of marc jacobs various daisys. LOL. 

I would be interested!

I have a zillion I will never use so I would be in. 

I have also also been thinking about starting one for sunscreen but not sure it would be worth it with how quickly they expire. I date everything when I open it and try a lot only once or a couple of times but not sure how other people do it. I just like the idea of getting people more interested in wearing sunscreen 😉 

A TSB just for fragrance would be awesome! I have sooooo many from GWP bags, orders I've made, and the holiday perfume kits with the gift certificates.

I was thinking about starting one for samples and coffrets.

i wonder how we deal with the post office restrictions, send it another way?

To be totally within postal service restrictions on shipping "hazardous materials" it would have to be shipped via Ground (Parcel Select) and you would have to declare it as hazardous materials so it can be stamped as such. But the latter I would avoid because the postal service retail employees usually don't know their own rules and will try to tell you that you cannot send it through them at all, which is not the case.

Another alternative would be to use a private shipping service (FedEx or UPS) as they have better service when it comes to shipping more complicated items, but prices can be a lot higher and fluctuate significantly.

Edit: I tracked down the USPS mailing instructions for alcohol (flammable liquids). It can only be shipped via ground with ORM-D designation. More details on further restrictions here:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_010.htm#ep999843

USPS Ground should work fine. Not sure how it affects cost over flat rate priority that is the norm for TSB's. It does take longer so maybe the TSB should be location based for order... 

I might have a window to put things together next month. Unless someone else wants to run it? But I've got a pretty good system for it going in my head, I think.

USPS Ground or UPS? I think alot of people would run into problems with USPS. Plus, I have been surprised to find that UPS Ground has been on par with USPS Priority price and speed wise (as fast, or maybe 1 day slower).

USPS. UPS is not feasible for me--they don't have any easily accessible store fronts and all my shipping stuff (scale, labels, printer) is in storage at the moment so I can't do pickup. That said, I don't really care how everyone else ships it...

I'd think UPS ground would be the best bet we'd have to keep the box a reasonable size. I heard the employees talking about it over Christmas and over....an ounce I think? It has to go third class. Or maybe they won't let you ship over an ounce but anything else is 3rd class. 

Let's do it! This sounds like so much fun and Springtime is a great time to find a new fragrance that's fun & bright!

i would be in

4,247 Replies
testing