Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@ExquisiteGypsy I just added some updates to my notes below.  

Long story short, I think my bottle is going back 😞

Oh, no - that's a shame! That really is too bad that they didn't have smaller samples available before releasing this bottle.

I'll let you know how it wears on me after I have a chance to try it out. You never know what something will really smell like due to everyone's unique body chemistry. For example, I have Atelier's Silver Iris cologne - on me there is a hint of iris in the beginning but for the rest of the wear it is primarily sweet blackcurrant (which I love), but on my friend it just turned into a soapy smell. I'm hoping that if things turn a bit sweeter on me, this will have the same effect... but time will tell.

@ChristalM @ExquisiteGypsy I totally understand.  Body chemistry is so complicated when it comes to how fragrance interacts with it.

I just re-tried Silver Iris this week, actually and it was still super powdery with just a hint of berry notes.  I'd tried it some time last year and filed it away to try again in a different season, but sadly it was still the same.

I hope Citron d'Erable works for you!

That is very true. On me, Silver Iris is very cold metallic. I can't explain it other than that. I love it!

THANKS! 

Hummm I was really hoping for more maple and wood. I think I will hold off for now then. Maybe just maybe that sample will be released soon 🙂

Me too, @ChristalM, me too.

That said, I've only been wearing it for about a half hour, so it's still in its 'opening' phase.

ETA: I think this is going back.  It's been almost 3 hours and while the citrus has died off, what replaced it is not pleasant, IMO.  There is a tiny touch of cedar that I detect if I smell REALLY hard, but mostly it has a metallic note that reminds me of blood/iron.  Not a fan.  

Also a bit disappointed with the sillage on it.  I sprayed myself with 3 or 4 hefty sprays (a lot more than I usually use for any other perfume) and it is barely detectable unless I really concentrate on it.  

Oh no!!!

Thanks for the update. I really appreciate it. I think I will still snag the sample if it every goes live but the full size is a no go then.

So sad.....

That being said, anyone have any recs for a wood maple fragrance? 🙂

@ChristalM The only other fragrance I've come across with maple in the notes is from Olfactive Studio - it's called Selfie and I'm not sure if Sephora even stocks it.

On me it does not go maple-y but is more like fenugreek, an Indian spice that is often used to approximate the scent of maple, which also has a tinge of curry note to it.  It doesn't have a ton of wood to it though, rather it's sandalwood.

Thanks again! @Mochapj!

I might have to hunt down a sample..

@ChristalM You are in Canada, right?

If you are comfortable PM'ing me your address, I'm happy to make you up a sample of Selfie from my bottle.

It was a blind buy and there's no way I'm ever going to finish it, LOL so I might as well put it to good use 😉

I am indeed! OMG that would be lovely!

Thanks so much for the generosity!

PMing you....

Got it!  Gonna try to send it out this afternoon.  

I may also sneak something extra in there 😉

Ohhh exciting! 

Thanks again, you made my day!

Has anyone tried the Pinrose scents? I was hoping to sample them this weekend because I just discovered them online, but my store didn't carry any.

I got a sample in one of my Sephora orders (it was a purple package), and it smelled terrible, not to mention the wipe sample was strange.

@alexasteph I bought the sample pack of wipes. While I felt kind of stupid for paying that much for fragrance samples, I'm glad I did because the ones I thought I would like based on the descriptions were not the ones I ended up liking in real life. I love Cuddle Punk (and bought the full size) but I really like sweet scents. I think I have maybe 5 of the wipes left (there are two of each scent and the ones I have left are the ones I didn't like). If you'd like me to send them to you, just PM me your address. I can tell you later this afternoon which ones they are, in case you're only interested in a few of them. 🙂

@JenniferOhJenny Cool, thanks for the info. PMing you!

Guerlain Terracotta Le Parfum. Wow. I haven't been shopping or paying attention in general for a while, but then I saw this one come across my IG feed. Reading the description, I was intrigued and added it to my Nordies loves list yesterday, holding out for the 10x point event starting today. Today, it was sold out online and in my local store. I tried the sample in store, and yep, I love it. The kind SA made me a sample and suggested some Jo Malone fragrances I might like (Orange Blossom and Nectarine Blossom & Honey). 

I got home, and the smell of the Terracotta on my skin was intoxicating. So, I combed the internet, found, and ordered it elsewhere. It is rare that I am compelled to purchase something full price - no rewards - etc. 

I guess I'm a little obsessed with Terracotta at this point. 

As for Jo Malone, has anyone here tried their fragrances? How is the longevity of wear?

I adore Terracotta. It's my go-to for the summer heat because it wears so nicely! 😄 

i like JM, some more than others. But most don't last too long - which I don't mind for light fragrances when I'm at work 🙂 and they do mix well. The intense colognes wear longer. But they're very different types of scents. 

Ooh, I like the idea of wearing JM to work. I received samples of the two recommended ones, but I think I might order as well (10x event at Nordies). If the samples don't wear well (i.e. don't work with my body chemistry), then I can return the unopened boxes. I'm 99% sure I will love them, especially when looking for a lighter fragrance. 

How funny is it that I'm still smelling my arm to enjoy the remnants of Terracotta? It is amazing. 

Has anyone tried Aerin's Mediterranean Honeysuckle? I don't have any experience with the brand, but this perfume sounds like it is everything I love - honeysuckle, grapefruit, gardenia, jasmine. Wondering about the longevity and sillage of Aerin's line. I may pick up the small travel size or rollerball, but I'd love to hear thoughts and/or experiences first. Hate it's online only.

http://www.sephora.com/mediterranean-honeysuckle-P405269?skuId=1794585

4,247 Replies
testing