Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

what a dream.

My next stop was Ex Nihilo.  EN is a French niche perfumer.  They have a pretty interesting concept.  They have a line of 12 scents currently, but they also offer customization of their scents.  

Spoiler
image.jpeg
As part of the customization process, you get to sit down with their perfumer and discuss scent preferences, as well as smelling the whole line.  Above are the options for customizing the caps; all are done in semi precious stones. 

image.jpeg
This is where they sit down and smell everything with you.  First you smell the 12 fragrances, and then when you've identified ones you like, you can zero in on how they might be customized.  Each fragrance has 3 options that EH has pre-selected for customizing (presumably so they aren't putting their name on a 'custom' scent that they can't stand behind), in that they are scents that would be complimentary to the initial perfume.  They will decant each custom blend onto a blotter for you to compare against the originals, so you wouldn't buy it blind.

image.jpeg
If you decide to customize a scent, that machine along the wall of the back of this photo is what blends the perfume for you.  It had some crazy name like Scentomatic or something silly like that.  The lady I worked with actually recommended I not customize a scent for my first purchase; she recommended I buy the scent that spoke to me first, and live with it for a while before I consider a customization.  Luckily, she told me they just installed an EN boutique in Toronto's new Saks this year, so if I feel the urge, I can get one customized at home.  

I ended up purchasing one of their 5 piece travel sets, which was a surprisingly good value.  You got 5 0.25oz vials of their perfume, and you could choose whatever combination of scents you liked to make up those 5 (i.e. you could get 5 of the same, or 5 different, or multiples of a few, etc)

Overall, this was another great experience and I'd highly recommend this boutique, too.  The staff were very attentive and friendly, and spent well over an hour with me discussing their whole line.  

Thanks!

I recently received a sample of Sweet Morphine and I think I am in love! I was looking to call Saks in TO to see if they have the travel set luckyscent has online.

Ooh, @ChristalM let me know what they say!

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to customize a bottle of any of the travel size ones I brought back, but SM was one of the ones I picked 😉

@Mochapj

Sorry but Saks do not have the travel set with SM 😞 I might get it from Luckyscent. Not sure I am ready to spring for the full bottle just yet...

Thanks for letting me know @ChristalM!  That's too bad. 😞

I wonder if the Luckyscent one lets you customize the set like I was able to at their boutique?

@Mochapj

Will do!

Oh nice. I am surprised I like it that much given the description but it works 🙂

Finally had a moment to put together my thoughts about the perfume shopping/experiences I had while I was over in Europe, so I figured I'd share them here.

First up, Serge Lutens Palais Royale:

Spoiler
image.jpeg
This was the bell jar counter, where they had every scent that is available in the special packaging, including all the ones that have been retired from the permanent line over the years.  I own a few of the retired ones already, and there was one I sampled whilst there, but it didn't end up my cup of tea.  The bell jars are very pretty, but they are larger and have a decent markup over the spray dabber bottles.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpeg
These were display cases with some of their LE/discontinued/special edition bottles.  All hand-painted or carved and very intricately done.  It was really enjoyable to just stand in front of the cases and take them all in.

image.jpeg
This was the Section D'or display.  They had all 6 of the scents, but no bottles out for sampling, just the paper blotters.  If you wanted to try any of them on, you had to ask for them.  

image.jpeg

The Palais Royale store is like some sort of dark, gothic atelier.  It was beautiful, but sort of maudlin with all its moody lighting and abundance of royal purple accents.  It's also within a very quiet courtyard set back from the street, so you'd never know it was there if you weren't looking for it.  I had a lot of fun chatting with the one woman who was working the store that morning, and we spent close to half an hour discussing favorites and trying on new scents.  They also had the entire beauty line available, but I've never heard anything good about it, and it was much pricier than I wanted to spend on cosmetics.  Overall, I would highly recommend any SL fan to make a pilgrimage if they are ever in Paris.  

I came home with a bottle of their newest scent, Bapteme du Feu which is a different take on gingerbread than their other ginger-based scent, 5 O'Clock Au Gingembre.  Bapteme is an intoxicating scent, with notes of gingerbread, gunpowder, osmanthus, woods, mandarin and castoreum.  I've worn it a few times since I got it, but am not ready to put my impressions of it down just yet.  I will say that it works a lot better on me than does, which I wanted to love so badly, but smells so terrible on.

Another new JHAG Luxury Collection scent 'White Spirit'

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 12.17.50 PM.png

image.jpeg

Picked up a sample of Orchid Soleil yesterday from my SA yesterday. This one is interesting. I've only had it on a few minutes. I can smell the tuberose, but there is a spicy gourmand aspect as well. It initially smelled coconutty, but that isn't a note. Maybe the combo of the chestnut and vanilla? Or "whipped cream?"

rice notes in fragrances is blooooowing my miiiiind ! 

(have etat libre d'orange 'putain des palaces' and 'fils de dieu' on two separate arms right now.)

Loooooooooooooove rice notes.

I wish they came up more often!  I feel like you and I were discussing Black Opium Nuit Blanche because of rice notes; I ended up trying it at duty free in the airport and got no rice notes at all 😞

So what is this Juliette Has A Gun I keep hearing about? I don't think I've ever seen it at my local Sephora. Not that I need more fragrances to get hooked on!

I typically like anything spicy, sharp, and clean although I've recently fallen for Prada Candy. I bought the rollerball first but I returned it because the scent was so weak. Unfortunately, the full-size spray isn't much better. After a few minutes it's pretty much disappeared. All my other fragrances have all-day staying power, I don't get it.

JHAG is a French niche perfume brand.

they have a line of about 12-14 scents, 3 or 4 of which are a 'luxury' line.

notes they commonly use are rose and oud 

they became more well known because of the not a perfume scent because it is based on ISO super e which sort of doesn't smell like anything at all.

I had a sample of Juliette Has A Gun- Not a perfume (I think that's what it's called?)...I got complimented on it and loved it so much!! I have to bite the bullet and get it ..I love Prada Candy too!

Also, the giant Champs Elysees Sephora had a new Juliette Has A Gun scent in their luxury line.

Notes for the woody oriental include licorice, orchid, tonka bean, papyrus wood, cedar, patchouli and gaia

image.jpeg

oh wonder went/if we will get this! Thanks for the pics @Mochapj hoping you are enjoying yourself and finding plenty of goodies!!!

@veronika23 I have my doubts - I don't think we've gotten any of the 'luxury' line at Sephora (at least in Canada)

I've bought a few of the 10ml bottles from them direct.

having a great time, thank you! I went to etat libre today!

image.jpeg

Thanks for the info @Mochapj!  Hope you enjoyed Etat Libre and you'll share with us all your goodies when you come back!

@veronika23 there seems to be hope yet that we might see the new JHAG scent in Canada.

I was at a store on the weekend and they had 2 of the 'luxury' line scents, which is definitely new to the display 🙂

Thanks for the update @Mochapj 🙂

4,242 Replies
testing