Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Thanks!  I'll look up that up now 🙂

I'm not familiar with JM's line but if you like Vert d'Encens but find it too strong, maybe consider Comme des Garcon's Incense: Kyoto? Not that the notes are similar but it's smoky without being so intense as the TF. There's some cedar but obviously it won't be for you if you don't like incense. CdG's Hinoki (also has cedar) might give you a fresh, woodsy vibe but you're not going to get that deep tobacco smoke.

Thank you!  I just pointed out a few things I like and dislike.  It's not that I don't like incense... it can be fine... I just don't like what it smells like in a catholic church and can't pinpoint that scent. Thought maybe it was frankincense but unsure... like I think it would be ok if it's part of the overall scent depending what else is in there but yeah I don't wanna smell like a catholic church 😄 

I love this kind of scent too. Some to consider:

• gabriella chieffo acquasala. Smells like the beach in winter to me- or salty air and burnt driftwood (in a good way). According to luckyscent notes include (among other stuff) seaweed, incense, amber, oak moss. This might be my next full bottle
  • profumum acqua di sale (olio corpo version if you can get it) marine, salt and wood
  • Arquiste architects club- slight citrus but mostly wood, vanilla and amber. From their site: march 1930 london- a group of architects gather for cocktails at Mayfair's smartest art deco smoking room....white smoke and fine vanilla

Thank you! Will check these out too 🙂

I would suggest you look at Gypsy Water. To be it is warm, slightly sweet and cozy with pine. 

Thanks. Never heard of that... must google. Thx! 🙂

I am no expert, but I wonder if you would like Tom Ford Vert d'Encens. It hits most of your likes- vanilla (not too sweet, at dry down), wood, smoke, forests (green/piney/even slightly minty). There's also a certain freshness/airiness to it at the beginning. While there's incense, it's a smoky woodsy note that's different from the resin of frankincense.

Thanks @TriesToBoClassy 🙂 I actually have a sample of that one and can't make up my mind about it... I don't know how I feel about it 😄  I find his fragrances pretty strong and maybe that's why I don't know what to think lol

I see! I like Vert d'Encens, but I am going to retest it a few times in cold weather to see if it is full bottle worthy 🙂

I like it too I just think maybe it's a bit too strong for me... I can be sensitive to scents. Maybe I need to try it more... and investigate if it comes in another format... like a candle or something 🙂

Anyone tried the new Jo Malone orange bitters? it looks really interesting to me but I am nowhere near a store that carries Jo Malone.

Anything thoughts on Tocca?

Tocca Bianca, which is sort of fruity-clean, is my go-to summer fragrance, though I love it so much that I'm still using it on occasion. It seems to last most of the day on me (or at least on my clothes). 

That's good to hear that you like Bianca!

I've moderately tried Florence before and I would like to revisit it. I'm all about those romantic and memory-evoking scents that transport you to a memory that you didn't even know you had. 

I sampled Colette today but it didn't have much projection and lasted only about two hours, even with generous spritzes. Holding my wrists right up to my nose 6 hours later and absolutely nothing. It was muted and boozy, comfortable to wear, superficially pretty but it didn't smell of very good quality. I hear that Tocca's scents aren't very long lasting and I might have to agree.

The Sephora associate made me a little vial of Cleopatra, too. I would have wanted to try Brigette but they didn't carry it.

I looove the new Charlotte Tilbury perfume. Seems like it's a bit of a love/hate scent? I think it's lovely. I can see myself wearing this a lot in fall/winter...

I love it too. I'm trying to resist purchasing it. 

@Adriadne I ordered it today. The smallest size, in my defense. (;

Oh, and on the note of new releases, I'm very curious about Malle's Superstitious with Ropion... I haven't been able to find a notes pyramid though...

Haven't posted on BT in awhile!

Right now I am loving naughty frags like Frederic Malle's Une Fleur de Cassie and Papillon Perfumery's Salome. They are both a bit dirty (OK, Salome is very dirty), but gorgeously floral and almost shimmering.

When I saw the reopened Toronto's Sephora on Bloor picked up Serge Lutens (thank you!!!), I was very much looking forward to trying his Musc Koublai Khan as it's so legendary but alas, they do not carry it. Yet?.... A girl can hope!

@pocketvenus Eaton centre store also carries SL; they might be worth checking for MKK but IIRC MKK is a retired scent and only available direct from SL in belljar

4,247 Replies
testing