Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

LOL 😄 😮

I am so scared to try that thing on, I can't even tell you.  I am worried it's going to give me an immediate gag reflex.

RE: soapy/ginger.  I find a lot of scents that have ginger notes tend to read on my skin as soapy or pickled type of ginger used in sushi, rather than the zingy spice of fresh or powdered ginger.  

It's a shame really, because I love ginger's spiciness, but my skin warps it into this thing I dislike (sushi ginger) so much.  😞

have you ever tried JM nutmeg and ginger ? highly recommend (though best for fall / winter)

I have not.  Perhaps I will have to give it a try... I like nutmeg and I like ginger 😉

Anonymous Insider

An hour? 😞 it sounds lovely but that's way too short.

pretty typical for cologne though. stays on clothes a bit better, perhaps though.

Just want to put this up here so it doesn't get lost in the thread: a general fragrance TSB is in the works but it probably won't happen until May (unless someone else wants to start one before then). Vials (used 1x is ok), minis/travel sprays (used 2-3x is ok) and rollerballs (I'd prefer new only but you're welcome to try to convince me otherwise) will all be acceptable items. So, it's never too early to organize your stashes and see what you want to part with or come up with an ISO list!

Speaking of Serge Lutens, has anyone tried ambre sultan? Love this, very strong but it's my must have. 

Mochapj, are you going to report back on the Shiseido Nombre Noir?

ambre sultan is my favorite scent of all time 🙂

I bought a sample over the holidays, and I was surprised that I did not like it as much as I thought I would. It's nice, but I prefer Amber Absolute. I'll have to look back and my notes to remember why I didn't like it as much.

Ecatgirl, actually I did report back on the Nombre Noire when I sampled it back in November 😉

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Fragrance/Fragrance-Junkie-Central/m-p/2247544/highlight/true#M9302

I just recently tried and fell in love with Ambre Sultan.  

I found a sample of Nicki Minaj Pink Friday perfume vial in an Amazon order I made (I can smell it through the bubblewrap).  I wanted to share:

Notes:  nail polish remover, saccharine, headache, duct tape.

The smell started off sweet.....and ended in hot shame.

Disclaimer - these are subjective opinions of my nose, and not mine. 

Hahaha that sounds so messed up i am getting curious.

Duct tape :D:D:D

Pink Friday - what a bizarre name.  I wonder what that even means??

Who knows - random word generator?  TGIPF is not gonna catch on anytime soon. 

This was an odd sample that the seller decided to toss in - I bought some random nail buffer or something.

LOL GC

After today, I have more vials in the to smell bag. 

Serge Lutens Serge Noire

notes: patchouli, cinnamon, amber, woods, incense, clove, spice, ebony

I wasn't sure whether I liked this at first.  It is heavy on the incense, cloves and cinnamon.  Then very peppery, and the patchouli is stank.  Very woody, too.  For the first hour or so it is classic 'head shop' smell.  But then, it gets a bit chocolatey, and nutty.  It's intriguing, and reminds me a little of Tom Ford Noir de Noir.  I want to do a smell-off between them and compare.

Serge Lutens Fleurs D'oranger

notes: orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose, rose, musk, hibiscus, cumin 

I was pretty certain I wouldn't like this, and I didn't.  Starts off soapy white flowers.  Tons of jasmine and orange blossoms.  It's very white floral.  Eventually the cumin blooms in it and makes it a bit spicy.  It's weird; soapy, yet spicy.  

Tom Ford Italian Cypress

notes: mandarin, bergamot, galbanum, basil, mint, moss, patchouli, woods, cypress, labdanum

This has a very masculine opening.  Candied citruses, and woody, sweet mint.  I get some hints of evergreen trees.  Patchouli comes out and makes it a little chocolatey and warm, while still having a bit of mossiness.  Entrancing.  Reminds me of something I can't put my finger on...

Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu

notes: patchouli, rosemary, cypriol, amber, leather

Smells dusty, chocolatey and dirty.  Also a bit like rotting earth.  And leathers.  It's pretty straightforward, and too much patch for me.

Tom Ford Fleur de Portofino

notes: bergamot, lemon, tangerine, bitter orange leaf, violet leaf, syringe, acacia flower, magnolia, orange blossom, rose, jasmine, honey, cistus, vanilla, tolu balm, civet, ambrette

I wasn't expecting to like this.  It is citrusy, with watery magnolia notes.  A pretty, clean and refreshing scent.  It's very out of character, so I wouldn't wear it, but I can appreciate it.  

Serge Noire is interesting - I need to wear it again! I remember not liking it the first time, but then I REALLY liked it the second time. It is definitely on the stankier side, especially at first lmao.

Interesting about Italian Cypress. I tried this over the summer and couldn't stand it after a few hours - I had to take a shower. It just smelled way too masculine for me, and it was very strong and unpleasant. I'd wager it is the bergamot!

Serge Noire comes on very strong, it's almost intimidating.  I had moments where I was close to wanting to wash it off, but I persevered 😄

Italian Cypress didn't give me a whole lot of bergamot at all, and the mandarin I did get was really sweet and only at the very beginning.  What made me perceive it as manly was the evergreen tree/woody notes, I think.  

It sounds like it was worth it if you ended up with something chocolatey!

Hmmm - not sure. I don't know if I mind woodsy (fille en aiguilles, right?), but maybe it's the tree :P.

Italian Cypress sounds pretty great.... Have you tried it on your skin yet?

all the notes I post here are based on me wearing it on my skin, so... Yes 😉

4,247 Replies
testing