Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I got a sample of Mojave Ghost from LuckyScent and I really like it. At first I wasn't too happy, but it wore on me and I love it. 

I just checked out LuckyScent! Looks really interesting. I wanna order all the Byredo samples. Even though $4 for a tiny sample looks a lil too high, this looks like the only way I can try all of them before I commit. Thanks so much for mentioning. 

I love Byredo, Bal Afrique, Gipsy Water, and Mojave Ghost being my top picks. 

Pros: unique scent combinations, at once earthy yet fresh 

Cons: short wear time (2 hours later and the scent has faded on my skin, but it lasts well if I also spray it on my clothes and hair); low sillage (these quickly become skin scents, so if you like to be noticed from across the room stick to the big guns like Chanel or Tom Ford)

I actually love not-so-in-your-face stuff since I wanna wear them to the office too! These sound like Jo Malones then? JM do not stay on me either. I am really curious (blames Instagram*) 😄

I am OBSESSED with Jo Malone as well, precisely because they aren't overpowering fragrances. The upside to JM is that they are easy to mix and match, so layering them to create my own signature scent makes them worth it for me. Byredo is harder to layer because the individual scents are so unique unto themselves that I hate to mess with their already lovely combinations. 

Since I wear perfume for me (in fact my husband hates perfume) I am happy with the close-to-the-skin nature of JM and Byredo. If you like to tweak your perfume to match your mood, JM is your line. If you like ready-to-wear unique scents that most won't be wearing, go with Byredo.

i can recommend the floral set sold at Barney's and Net-a-Porter if you want to try a range of scents from Byredo and want to be able to reply throughout the day. 6 large purse sprays for $145 is a great deal for this line.

Yeah, Mojave Ghost hasn't appeared in the last few set offerings, so here's hoping! I'm just happy I have backups of Bal Afrique 😄

Yes I saw those sets and want 1 for sure but they did not have gypsy water and mojave ghost together in them which I really really want to try. Maybe this holiday season they will bring out a new set which has both. Hear us out BYREDO!

Etat libre seems to be releasing s new version of 'don't get me wrong baby' called 'yes I do'

image.png

Hat tip to @lachaton for finding this - a new TF perfume Ombre Leather

http://www.sephora.com/ombre-leather-P412363?skuId=1873561&icid2=products%20grid:p412363

Notes:
Violet Leaf, Cardemom, Jasmin Sambac, Black Leather , White Moss, Patchouli.
Style:
Textured. Sleek. Enveloping.

I've been eyeing scents from i Profumi di Firenze. Has anyone tried this brand?

I'm specifically looking at Ambra de Nepal, Vaniglia del Madagascar,Talco Delecato 

I've only tried one.  

A perfume store I shop at gave me a sample of Bora Bora and I tried it, but I found it headache-inducingly sweet. 😞

It had very good longevity, though.

One more question... Are Jo Malone's candles worth it. Will the room actually smell like the fragrance?  Anyone know?

@veronika23 I have tried the Blackberry & Bay the scent which I like.Unfortunately it takes so long to get the smell in my tiny bedroom. I find diptyque ones were much better.

Never tried the candles @veronika23 but I have to imagine they are more concentrated than the scents, which many describe as lovely, but fleeting.

Thank you @Mochapj @dioradict  I LOVE wood sage and sea salt but the fragrance doesn't last long on me and wondering if a candle would make a room smell.  This is exactly the type of scent I am always looking for but need staying power.

Anyone have any tips on how to make a fragrance last on your skin.

The simplest method is simply to moisturize beforehand - either by layering the fragrance with a matching dry oil or lotion/cream or with an unscented product. 

Not on skin, but you could also try spraying directly onto your clothes. 

Thanks @lachaton

@veronika23 a few things come to mind

1) layer - i.e. if it comes in a perfume and a scented lotion, applying both can help the scent carry through the day

2) buy the highest concentration of the fragrance (eau de perfum is stronger than eau de toilette, etc)

3) apply it over an oiled base, like an unscented body lotion or body oil

4) apply it to the pulse points

Thanks @Mochapj 🙂 I think there's a cream but the fragrance comes in cologne only... so pretty low right.

Yeah, very generally speaking eau de cologne is lower in strength than eau de toilette and eau de perfum.

I would also agree with @lachaton suggestion about spraying on clothes, with the caveat to be careful that some perfumes can stain, so I wouldn't spray on a fabric like satin or silk.  

4,241 Replies
testing