Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@Sunnysmom We are not taught much about what we can do. Please feel free to DM me if you are concerned about growing issues like homeless populations, have the capacity to contribute but don't know where to start! ❤️ I won't know your city well, but I can sketch out how to find different types of groups supporting the unhoused and other groups. Be well <333

Thank you @pocketvenus , will do! 🥰

These look good @pocketvenus. I don’t need more candles but I don’t know if I can resist at least seeing how they smell. 🤔 

Comparing Lancome La Vie est Belle OG to La Vie est Belle Iris Absolue: The OG LVEB has always been warm, sweet, a tiny spice, golden (as in amber or caramel) to me. Wait a minute now. After smelling LVEB Iris Absolue, the OG LVEB is now bright, light, and the golden is now somewhat lemon-y. The first spray of Iris Absolue was a bit of a nose tweaker for me. That effect died down after an hour or two melting into more of an OG LVEB scent without the really warm, sweet openings leaving the floral component. After about five hours on my wrist the fragrance was totally gone. I decided to try it on my clothing and on paper plus compare Iris Absolue to the original since at that point I'm thinking this flanker isn't far enough off the original to bother having them both. Maybe just an amped up original that is amped up with the floral components of the OG enough to tweak my nose. After comparing the two side by side the OG now seems bright, and the Iris Absolue seems earthy, dark and somewhat licorice-y. It's more mature than LVEB OG.

Iris Absolue is definitely more intense to me than the OG LVEB. Not as long lasting on the skin or clothing though. On paper Iris Absolue retains that musty grit while LVEB does not retain it's warmth and just leaves the bright floral component. I can definitely scent my room spraying once each on paper. I can smell them today across the room. I think Iris Absolue needs three sprays on the new bottle to get it's full effect. I'm kinda on the fence with Iris Absolue. I like it but I dislike nose tweakers. The second spray on clothing wasn't so tweaky. The licorice-y, gritty, dark scent didn't arrive until the third spray which was on paper. I think that spray will last for days. So I'm going to have to weigh pros and cons and figure out whether a return is in order. I definitely would NOT recommend more than one or two sprays at a time. I apologize for this post being all over the place. I need a thought "a" 1, 2, 3, thought "b" 1, 2, 3. Etc haha 

@Margalee - It helps to write down your thoughts, @Margalee !  You might as well write them here where they might help someone else...or be interesting reading for someone like me! 😄  I just got a GWP, a baggie full of stuff, including a bunch of perfume samples.  I never thought of spraying on paper before.  That might be a good idea since some scents can trigger migraines.  Thanks for the idea! 😘

@Titian06 Ooo, lucky you! And you're welcome! I really do need to jot notes to get my thoughts in order tho. My initial intention wasn't room scent but the more I sat there the next morning the more I thought, " gee, I could scent the room with this." I really was surprised at how strong they still were even from a few feet away.

It's been awhile and I am catching up on TONS of new releases.

Frederic_Malle_2023_Saywho_JeanPicon_dsc_5335.jpg-768x1152

Heaven Can Wait is Malle's latest collaboration is with Ellena. "This is Jean-Claude Ellena’s voyage into the richness of warm spices – clove, carrot seed and ambrette. It stands as one of his greatest masterpieces, driven by a theme more symphonic than ever."

My thoughts: This name feels different. Uncut Gem definitely felt like a Ford private label name. There's something a little common about this one that reminds me of Kilian. Is Estee Lauder getting the same team to name all of its perfumes? I'm honestly for the first time not terribly excited about a Malle release. Also, I tried to find a proper ad campaign photo but the best I could do was this release party where we can see the ad in a frame in the back. Looks like someone sleeping in a bed so my guess is this has breezy skin and linen vibes? Meh

maison-margiela-under-the-stars-eau-de-toilette-100ml_20839265_45962369_2048

Margiela is adding another to its Replica line, Under the Stars

Maison Margiela names its magical eau de toilette Under the Stars as it’s made to make you feel as if you’re admiring the constellations. A complex infusion of oud is said to create a feeling of mystery, while labdanum conjures the warmth of the summer. You’ll also notice punchy black pepper and spicy cinnamon.

Other notes include leather, cedar and amber.

My thoughts: I'm not a huge fan of the house but these notes sound great.

Tom-Ford-Cafe-Rose-Parfum-Launch o.r26K93VG367

A couple new releases from Ford. Looks like Ford is moving Cafe Rose from the private label to the signature collection and what I believe is the first myrrh scent, Myrrhe Mystere

The notes for Cafe Rose are reported to be different between the two versions.

2012 Cafe Rose notes are

Head: May rose, black pepper, saffron

Heart: Bulgarian rose, coffee, Turkish rose

Base: patchouli, frankincense, amber, sandalwood

2023 notes are Turkish rose, Bulgarian rose, coffee, ylang-ylang, coriander, cardamom, frankincense, sandalwood

The notes for MM are myrrh, vanilla, sandalwood, jasmine, musk

My thoughts: I've been pretty disappointed in Ford for awhile so I'm not holding out much hope for these releases. Having said that, Ombre Leather was another private label scent moved to a more affordable line and it was decent.

le-labo-myrrhe-55

Le Labo's latest city exclusive is Myrrhe 55 for Shanghai

Myrrh, which smells of incense with a strong licorice twist, is at the “heart” of this creation. Its partners-in-crime are jasmine and patchouli, all well-anchored on a bed of oud, ambergris, and of course, musk (don’t worry, all vegan notes). MYRRHE 55 is understated elegance, emanating contemporary yet creative classicism that makes it hard to ignore and forget. It's a Chypre, ladies and gents.

My thoughts: probably not worth the price but I love a modern chypre so will try

Barbie_x_lush_groupshot_2023_9x16-1

LUSH appears to be a part of this massive, highly coordinated marketing push for the Barbie movie and has released an entire line devoted to the movie, including a scent, Barbie. Notes are cherry, almond essential oil, tonka and sweet wild orange.

My thoughts: Not a fan of products advertising other products. Also not personally keen on the notes so will pass

o.Btgy2uEkibW 

DS & Durga's latest release Crush Balls is inspired by tennis. Notes are green grass, rosemarin, white cotton and hedge flowers.

My thoughts: sounds like a Tom Ford name?? Honestly when I look at the ad, I keep thinking this is going to have that distinct rubber and plastic scent of brand new tennis balls 😂

@pocketvenus I like the sound of a few of those. Thanks for always sharing!

@Samtian Anytime ❤️

Also, has anyone sampled V&R Good Fortune Elixir? 

@pocketvenus if you sample Tom Ford's Cafe Rose let me know your thoughts. I nearly purchased it but the soapy comments delayed my decision. Thankfully, because I discovered next month Lancome La Vie est Belle L'extrait is coming out and I think I want that very much!

@Margalee Will do! Though I wish I had a sample of the original to compare it to. It's been so many years since I've smelled it! It seems that people are finding them quite different though.

@pocketvenus I still love my original Cafe Rose! I purchased the 3.4 oz. 6-7 years ago when it had the purple label and it still smells wonderful. (I store it out of the light.)

@curlychiquita I love it ❤️ The early Tom Fords were something else!

Thanks for the updates, @pocketvenus ! 💖💖💖  Maison Margiela is the only one that I'll probably try.

@Titian06 Love to hear what you think o fit 🙂

In perfume news, it's not a new release, but Creed was bought by Kering. Business of Fashion reported last week that the transaction was valued at $2 billion. Another one bites the dust!

Oh so excited! Ulta has Tom Ford Black Orchid eau de toilette. Okay I see it is from 2015. A lot of people complain the eau de parfum is too heavy so I wonder of they will revisit the EDT. I'll need to revisit it also b/c I thought it was new. Haha

D.S. & Durga has a new collaboration, and it sounds intriguing but not sure if it’s a must-buy 🤔

IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4226.jpeg

Thanks, @LCResz !  This sounds nice!

@Titian06 Have you tried it?

4,247 Replies
testing