Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Thank you @sister13 ! I recall trying the CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Solar Bloom Travel Spray .34oz/10mL and thought it was beachy and summery. 

I think that the Ellis Brooklyn SALT Eau de Parfum Travel Spray 0.34 oz/ 10 mL might be a winner too but it’s been a while since I smelled that one or the SKYLAR Coconut Cove Eau de Parfum Rollerball 0.33 oz/ 10 mL Eau de Parfum Rollerball 🧐 

At least not seems like I have some fun summer scent options to try! Let me know if you think of any others please 🙏🏻 

Oh, yes, I meant to say, I do have Ellis Brooklyn SALT Eau de Parfum and I love it, but it’s way more aquatic salty (like a Northeast seaside, not a tropical vibe to me) and doesn’t have the sweetness or creaminess of Soleil Blanc. 

I sprayed The 7 Virtues Coconut Sun Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz / 50 mL eau de parfum spray recently in store because I was curious about that one, and wasn’t too impressed. Nice enough but unremarkable and didn’t seem to last.

Of course, fragrance is SO subjective, don’t take my word for it on any of these! 

I’ll also check in with any other samples I have around and see if anything else jumps out at me!

Oh, finally, as for longevity of the TOM FORD Soleil Blanc Shimmering Body Oil , I find it to be much more subtle than the EDP and I don’t find it lasting on me for more than a couple hours, if that! @bakeamuffin 

@sister13  Your thoughts on these fragrances are so valuable to me, I’d end up ordering 10 over the warm months and probably only liking a few of them, so thank you! I’m definitely looking for more of that creamy, warm, beachy scent and it sounds like you totally know exactly what I mean based off your descriptions! from the ones that I’ve smelled on your list, I agree with your descriptions! As much as I want that TOM FORD Soleil Blanc Shimmering Body Oil it sounds like it may not have the punch of fragrance that I’m hoping for, I think I’ll head in store today to do some testing. I really miss when I could get fragrance samples, that made shopping for a new scent so much easier. 

I’ll definitely be back to share what I get! The last couple summers I was using Sol de Janeiro SOL Cheirosa ‘62 Eau de Parfum Travel Spray 0.27 oz / 8 mL Eau De Parfum Spray but I’m ready to move on from that summer scent. 

@sister13 I just came back to recap my thoughts, hopefully jotting them down here will help me remember for the future! 

I didn’t try the Bobbi Brown Beach Fragrance 1.7 oz/ 50 mL , the Ellis Brooklyn SALT Eau de Parfum , or SKYLAR Coconut Cove Perfume Set The store was a little busy and I just didn’t see these ones. 

IMG_4636.jpeg

Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Beach Walk  was as lovely as I recall the samples to be. Such a true warm, creamy beach smell with those nostalgic hints of sunscreen/tanning oil.

IMG_4635.jpeg

NEST New York Balinese Coconut Perfume Oil 1 oz / 30 mL perfume oil  was much nicer than I had anticipated. It’s a creamy coconut with tropical vibes just like I wanted but the scent did not last very long. The throw was moderate but less detectable as time went on and the fragrance faded. It was a nice oil, not too dry and didn’t leave me feeling greasy at all. 

IMG_4637.jpeg

TOM FORD Soleil Blanc Eau de Parfum Fragrancewill always be a love aside from the price point. Anytime I can get a sample of this I’m so happy; it has a warm salty coconut scent with a dreamy creamy warmth that just scream Summer to me. I wish it had a better throw and was longer lasting but it’s lovely overall.

IMG_4639.jpeg

 I was looking forward to sampling the TOM FORD Soleil Blanc Shimmering Body Oil because I’m really wanting a nice body oil for fun summer days. This smells delightful just like the perfume, it has a lovely texture that melts into my skin without feeling to heavy or greasy. It’s a great balance as far as the feeling goes when applying. It is shimmery and creates a gorgeous sun kissed type glow. The scent has a moderate throw but it really could be stronger. It lasted longer than the NEST New York Balinese Coconut Perfume Oil 1 oz / 30 mL perfume oil  on me so I would likely choose this oil over the ladder. 

IMG_4638.jpeg

 I did get a chance to try The 7 Virtues Coconut Sun Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz / 50 mL eau de parfum spray which is lovely and bright but it is more floral presenting which feels more fresh than the creamy warmth that I’m looking for in a summer fragrance. It also leaves an almost soap-like scent that does smell clean but a little too clean for my preference 🧼 

Great reviews and thoughts on these! @bakeamuffin 

Wonderful reviews of each scent, @bakeamuffin !  Enjoy whichever scent you choose! 💖💖💖

Thank you so much @Titian06 !

Tested a few perfumes lately. The sample sizes are definitely different than the full sizes. I've tested V&R Good Fortune for one. In store it was absolutely overwhelming and a nose tweaker. The sample was much more low key. It dried down to a soapy scent which wasn't terrible. Or expected. I don't normally like them but this wasn't bad. It is a long lasting scent for me. YSL Libre isn't a perfume I'm crazy about at this point. I definitely favor the Libre Intense.  I enjoyed the Donna Born in Roma but will test further to decide.

There's a new addition to Aesop's Othertopias line, Gloam. Billed by longtime collaborator Barnabé Fillion as “a horizontal portal to self-observation,” the fragrance is inspired by the body position of vertically lying down and feeling both the force of gravity and a lightness of the spirit at the same time. Gloam’s complex tapestry of rich, warm spice marries its lighter spice and floral notes to create an atmosphere of antique charm; the blend of fresh Neroli, sweet Orange Flower, Mimosa’s pollen-like scent, Rose, Narcissus, Jasmine Sambac and Maté’s herbal quality complement the Patchouli, Copaiba and Sandalwood that gives it its powdery and tactile finish.

Gloam-Eau-de-Parfum-3

This sounds like a lovely easy to wear daily scent, I'll definitely try to sample it.

Also, I think I slept on this, a new Jardin from Hermes! HERMÈS Un Jardin à Cythère Eau de Toilette 3.4 oz / 100 mL eau de toilette spray 

Created by Hermès' perfumer Christine Nagel, Un Jardin a Cythere eau de toilette is a surprising garden that is neither green nor floral, but... blond. It is the expression of an olfactory quest through Greece that leads to Kythira, a picturesque island that has inspired many artists.

A citrus and woody fragrance, Un Jardin a Cythere eau de toilette combines enveloping notes of grasses with the strength of olive wood and the tenderness of fresh pistachio.

QXMvqiPc9HAzflsM6HhQnA

Sounds interesting. Nagel got some criticism for her last Jardin. It wasn't my cup of tea but I found it interesting. Will try to sample this one too. 

Love to hear your thoughts on the new Hermès @pocketvenus ! I want to sample it too! 

@Sunnysmom @itsfi will definitely post to the challenge thread when I get the chance to sample 🙂

Glam sounds really nice, @pocketvenus ! 🥰

Oh, that Aesop fragrance sounds very nice @pocketvenus. If you get your hands on a sample, would love to hear your feedback on this one. 

image-004

A new one from Etat Libre that seems a different from their usual fare or at least, the marketing is not so bombastic. I don't know about this one as I'm not a fan of aquatics but it sounds interesting, spice and incense with aquatic notes?

The first spritz of the fragrance exudes a sweet, fruity and slightly spicy accord of elemi resin, fig, Italian bergamot and pink pepper. In the heart, aquatic and ozonic notes combine with violet and incense before woody and earthy notes of musk, orcanox, sandalwood and Virginia cedar provide depth to the composition.

The perfume, whose name translates as "Under the Mirabeau Bridge", is inspired by one of the most beautiful poems by Guillaume Apollinaires, an important French poet of the early 20th century. In twenty verses, Apollinaire describes the sorrow and pain of a broken love, using the Seine and the Mirabeau Bridge as a metaphor for the slow and inexorable flow of love's transience. "Sous Le Pont Mirabeau" aims to capture the romantic atmosphere of the bridge and the melancholy of the poem in a woody aquatic composition.

79702fc4-38a9-4909-888a-c565a614101d_d-beauty-coming-soon-penhaligons-3april23

Penhaligon's will be releasing Solaris with Harrods, not sure if or when it will be more widely distributed. Description is a little thin right now. Bold and radiant, Solaris blends fruity notes of blackcurrant and citrus with the warming aroma of vanilla and sandalwood. 

Solaris sounds interesting. I am going to have to get my hands on a sample ❤️

@pocketvenus - The Etat Libre sounds nice! 🙂

@Titian06 Yes, I might sample out of curiousity!

HAHA  just read reviews for SDJ Rio Radiance. Smells like a dupe for TF Soliel Blanc. I had been waning on purchasing it w/o sampling b/ c I was afraid it would be akin to 40 or 42 which I don't like either. A lot of what I dislike most about Soliel Blanc is it's a bit of nose tweaker for me. I'm curious as to the effect SDJ Rio Radiance will have on me. I was thinking to chance it for the sale but now I am thinking sample. Or just buy the 8oz of 71. I have been lusting after it since I first saw it.

@Margalee @Actually Rio Radiance isn’t a new scent it’s a repackaged scent of SDJ Tan Lines which came out last year. 

@SportyGirly125 I don't think I actually got a whiff of those. They sold out fast. So new to me.

@SportyGirly125 Was that the pink one?  I'm trying to remember which ones I was able to snag last year....

3 Replies
testing