Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I didn’t buy it yet either @pocketvenus but it remained so pretty the entire day and night. It’s on my list for the sale tho! TOM FORD Soleil de Feu Eau de Parfum Fragrance 1 oz / 30 mL eau de parfum spray . 💞

@Sunnysmom Yes, often one of the key indicators of a higher quality scent is that the dry down is not just long but remains pleasing!

@pocketvenus Ouch! Soliel Orchid is selling for $275! Maybe I'd better sample Feu.

@Margalee Oof, I've been following the price hikes on the Private Label line and didn't realize the other fragrances had been dramatically hiked up as well 😕  For what it's worth, Orchid Soleil is nothing like Black Orchid! Though there really isn't anything like Black Orchid ❤️

@pocketvenus  I have a couple of the Soliels. I am not a fan. So sorry I bought the Brulee or brulant. Someone talked it up and I did a blind buy. I would suggest testing the line before purchase. I thought it'd be warm and caramel, spicy. It was much more "white" and nose tweaky than I expected. I'm looking to use that nice gold case for a stand in perfume. I haven't done it yet but maybe this summer. 

@pocketvenus  I was sad too. I love Black Orchid. I was hoping for more in that style. Soliel Blanc is in that style but something in it is a bit overwhelming and a bit nose tweaker. Hopefully Soliel Orchid is a better fit.

@Margalee sorry this line didn't work out for you! :'( Maybe the Soleil Orchid would be more your speed? I personally found it too dense but I remember it as a kind of a sweet, nougaty scent.

And from niche brands we're following

Zoologist's Tiger sounds right up my alley

o.xTFHggMQhZX

Top Notes: Kumquat, Cardamom, Saffron
Heart: Sambac Jasmine, Incense, Carrot Seeds
Base: Vetiver, Ebony Wood, Papyrus

DS & Durga's at it again with Steamed Rainbow

o.KPB0itpxAyD

red mandarin, orange, yellow elemi resin

green cedar, blue almond flower, indigo grass

violet, vetyver vapors

Nasomatto's Sadonaso doesn't have a notes pyramid as is typical. I might give it a sample.

%D8%B9%D8%B7%D8%B1-%D8%B3%D8%A7%D8%AF%D9%88%D9%86%D8%A7%D8%B3%D9%88-Sadonaso-%D9%85%D9%86-Nasomatto

I don't think I can share the photo of the bottle which is a little different than the one pictured here but you can search for it easily online if you wish. Personally I find it very gimmicky.

JM's British release this year is The Highlands, featuring four fragrances: Highland Heather, Mallow On The Moor, Melancholy Thistle and Wild Achillea.

Highland-Heather-%D9%88Mallow-On-The-Moor-%D9%88Melancholy-Thistle-%D9%88Wild-Achillea

The bottles are very pretty 💐

Highland Heather "Morning haze across the Highlands fades to reveal a wilderness blanketed by swathes of heather. An amethyst vision captured in a woody scent, enhanced with English lavender and freshened by cypress, grounded in sensual amber."

Mallow On The Moor "Purple mallow flowers spill across an untamed landscape, beckoning bees with their vivid color. These pretty petals flutter alongside powdery heliotrope in this soft floral scent enriched by the naturality of violet leaves."

Melancholy Thistle "Bold and bright Melancholy Thistles guard a long-abandoned castle in the Scottish Highlands. Entwined with a green freshness, this woody aromatic scent is underpinned by coolwood to summon the ivy-covered stone walls inside a majestic relic."

Wild Achillea ~ "Golden bundles of wild achillea frame remote ruins alive with nature. Sparkling with bright bergamot entwined with the tangy sting of nettle, the greenness balanced on a base of soft white musk." This one is a reissue of Nettle & Wild Achillea.

Love the bottles!

Diptyque has released an LE sakura candle for the spring

diptyque_fdc_1080x10803_lr

As well, in April, it's releasing Eau Nabati which captures the essence of nature and the Mediterranean coast. Inspired by the scent of a lush garden filled with aromatic plants, trees and flowers, it opens with a burst of citrusy bergamot and the fresh, green scent of petitgrain, balanced by the rich aroma of amber and the sweet scent of [Peru] Balsam.

diptyque-eau-nabati-edp-1

Wow, D.S. & Durga has gone into overdrive offering up new scents with a quickness! What is this, like the fourth or fifth new scent since the start of the year? 8F8C65D7-81BD-4272-A774-C4D9C29FFB3D.jpegD9C8B282-527D-41E7-B9A0-C8E71848CB41.jpeg

@LCResz Yes, they have definitely been expanding! They opened a second location in 2021 and I recall reading the house has plans for more locations. They seem to be increasing distribution as well. It's impressive as I gather they are still an independent house. 

New Serge Lutens

serge-lutens-Ecrin-de-fumee

Écrin de Fumée,

As always, the ad copy is evocative but doesn't describe the scent at all. Quick, quick, the world is ending! Our very existence needs urgent tending. Amid the roar of the cannons, the champagne flows. Corks in the air, could they be aflame? Beneath the smokescreen, life is a decadent game.

Notes are reported on Fragrantica to be cacao, tobacco, rum, hot spices, woods, smoke. On the website, there's this message about ingredient pyramids The primary essence of a Serge Lutens perfume does not reside in the assembly of a list of ingredients, but in an experience, a sensitivity. Doubts, anger, fragility, joy (also)... each of them represents a moment of ourselves. Discordering, torturing raw materials to make them confess, Serge Lutens has not made a profession of it but an art!

On that note - ha ha - a house notorious for not revealing any notes pyramids, Nasomatto is apparently now disclosing them? They're listed on SSENSE. Not sure when this change happened.

Nicolai is releasing Caravanserail Intense, another cardamom coffee

o.dc6GRf3RdyI

Caravansérail Intense is a stopover at the crossing of the coffee and spice roads. A historic site of hospitality not far from arid deserts, pioneer explorers and traveling souls are welcomed by a hot, addictive traditional coffee whose swirls reveal the fresh facets of cardamom seeds.”

Top notes: coffee, plum, raspberry
Middle notes: cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, patchouli, sandalwood
Base notes: amber, vanilla, tonka bean, immortelle

Mona di Orio is releasing a lily of the valley soliflore as a response to the legendary Edmond Roudnitska's Diorissimo. (Roudnitska was di Orio's mentor and the house's nose is now Fredrik Dalman.)

o.6134.2

Roudnitska's version is almost photorealistic, whereas Dalman's attempt is slightly fresher and more indolic with a rounder floral effect. A less watery scent, with hints of warm spring soil and a warmer, more full-bodied floral effect.

@pocketvenus Ooh that lily of the valley! 

Ohhhh loookkkkk

THis sounds so nice!

papier.PNG

I was told this would be available for purchase in Diptyque boutiques today (3/13 and possibly launching online today as well? and in some department stores later this week)

3.10.2023 Haul - Diptyque 2.jpg

I had an opportunity to attend a preview of the fragrance last week. It's soft, wears close to the skin. It's nice on its own but may be too light for some. Layers well with many scents. On me it has some fairly good lasting power (about 5+ hours), which surprised me based on how mild the scent is. I spritzed it on my wrist mid-afternoon yesterday and I could still pick up a faint bit of it by the evening. Will test it more to see if that was just a fluke. 

@ChristalM Thanks for sharing this!

"For L'Eau Papier, I started with one initial ingredient, grain – in particular, sesame, in the form of an extract of roasted sesame seeds. This is the surprise element in the fragrance: I chose it to evoke the novel scent of ink and to add a delicate flavor to the scent. I enhanced this by working in musky notes to heighten the sensual aspect. Then I added floral mimosa notes with gentle, powdery properties to supplement the gentle note of paper. The uniqueness of the cereal and ink accords, blended with the sweetness of white musks, creates the scent of paper – and this combination is what defines the fragrance. I've tried to convey the subtle, sensitive interaction when ink is applied to a sheet of paper through an overdose of musks." — Fabrice Pellegrin

All of Floral Street is on sale right now for any other fans of the brand! I couldn’t resist picking up Floral Street Wonderland Peony Eau De Parfum Travel Spray 0.34 oz/ 10 mL Eau de Parfum Travel Spray ! I got a sample of it and it’s such a lovely summer scent ! 

New LE Harvest line from Guerlain

o.ksttdTJhz2X

NEROLIA VETIVER

Orange blossom honey from Calabria, neroli and vetiver

MANDARINE BASILIC

Marzolo mandarins from Calabria, basil leaves, green tea, woody base

ROSA ROSSA

Bulgarian and Turkish roses, organic rose water from Grasse, lychee and blackcurrant

And a new Jo Malone Rose Collection

o.SIhQVa6v3fA

Rose Water & Vanilla Cologne is described as a delightful, creamy and moreish treat with rose to share and savor. Rose water and comforting vanilla are enriched with a bite of Turkish Delight.

Red Roses Cologne is announced as the essence of modern romance unfolding like a bouquet of freshly cut garden roses, with violet leaves and a hint of lemon.

I'm guessing this is the same Jo Malone London Red Roses Cologne 

Rose Blush Cologne is the scent of delicate rose petals suspended in a delectable jelly, prepared for a great British summer fete. Basil and a juicy note of lychee add a modern twist to this soft floral scent, cocooned in the base of white musk.

2 Replies
testing