Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Few updates today

Hiram Green's Shangri-La is back! A lovely super soft chypre. It's apparently very close to the original. I like my chypres sharper but if you want a gentle, snuggly one, give this a try.

o.5VfhHcr0dT4

New Dusita, La Rhapsodie Noire

o.1FpSzu5pzNn

Top notes: French lavender, Sage;
Middle notes: Mimosa, Broom, Jasmine Sambac;
Base notes: Vetiver, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Oak, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

DS& Durga sexy Viking

o.b5zNMa5rDhg

Top notes: savage black currant, bitter orange, juniper berry
Heart: nordic rose, wild wheat grass, pine tree
Base: ashwood, barley malt, ambergri

I quite enjoy this house but the fragrances are expanding fast and I'm finding the later releases are not as unique as earlier releases which were stunning. 

@pocketvenus I bought a bottle of sexy Viking and I’m sad to report that it’s really boring and linear. 

They apparently opened up a waitlist for a second batch and I saw a lot of people complaining about that cuz it defeats the purpose of the ‘studio juice’ line (in their opinions)

I heard they did this with the pistachio one that came out earlier this year, too so people seem to think limited is not so limited anymore 🤷🏽‍♀️

@Mochapj That's a shame but thanks for sharing! "Limited editions" can be real gimmicky sometimes. 

I could use some recommendations! I'm relatively new to the fragrance game, and have ordered a bunch of samples from Scent Split to determine what suits me. One of them is Delina; I'm *in love* with those initial bright and tangy rhubarb/lychee notes, but sadly the dry-down doesn't suit me. Any suggestions for other fragrances with more of those delicious tart fruits? 

@tastelikewater 

• HERMÈS Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate Eau de Cologne 1.7 oz/ 50 mL is a great rhubarb

Thank you @pocketvenus !

@tastelikewater Anytime!

@tastelikewater I second @Titian06 recommendedation. In fact if you watch The Perfume Guy on YouTube, he recommended Good Girl as an alternative for Delina 😘

@blackkitty2014 I've seen some of his videos before but not that one, thanks so much!

@tastelikewater - You might want to sample Carolina Herrera Very Good Girl Eau de Parfum .  It has litchi and red current, but the dry down is rose and vanilla.  I haven't tried it; I just happened to look at it during the sale.

@Titian06 I'll give it a go, thank you!

Tauer has a new release, Golestan, named after a palace in Tehran.

A striking and sophisticated experience of gracefully blended flowers blooming in timeless manner in a colorful place. The garden greets you with first impressions of fresh citrus and rich ylang. Rose absolute from Bulgaria softens exuberant doses of white flower absolutes: sensual jasmine, lustful tuberose and erotic orange blossom. The exuberant complexion of these natural absolutes gives rise to an abundant and dynamic floral perfume. The base is rich, with creamy patchouli and amber notes blended into sweet and soft woods. Golestan refers the seductive classics, yet it is an uncompromising modern and original perfume.

I might try this one. There are some excellent Tauers that I love but his muguet one, I forgot the name, was truly awful on me.

Has anyone tried any of the Henry Rose fragrances?  What are your thoughts on this line?  There seems to be  some good fragrance combos, but I hate to blind buy fragrances.

e4bb3b07-563e-4779-31da-d1380357feca

Odd name for a perfume with some fairly benign notes but it is Etat afterall!

Not sure if this is “new” news but Kilian has some LE release exclusive to Harris’s for the 15th anniversary. I think I saw an email that there will also be events at certain cities/ locations in celebration. Certain scents are featured with the special packaging, inspired by the Eiffel Tower. They are beautiful and I would love to add to my collection, but doesn’t really make sense since they already do refills.

… Except I have been wanting to add the new(ish) white Love Don’t be Shy packaging (I still have the original black). And I like this clutch better than the snake one!

Anyway, some screen shots from IG and Harrods website. 

DF530B84-169F-499D-8BB1-83B1AEFB53D8.jpeg

A545DDE0-8580-4486-A619-9EC6D85A0F50.jpeg

4BC96883-5987-4826-A59E-C13785658A99.jpeg

640A0C73-83CD-4DFF-9018-91F1B9D8E698.png

2252DC6E-8F9B-498A-B692-5F98A7A92A2A.png

53186E11-048C-43CB-8FA0-C87452D8C2E6.png

E25A439C-C206-4CC2-A2A5-FBA8538EC771.png

716E71DC-5659-4ADB-9479-D97659CB92E6.png

4CEE6CBA-5D8C-4272-B396-B13F2C28BB0B.png

@sister13 These look lovely, and I love the sets! KILIAN Paris Apple Brandy on the Rocks Icon Set is still one of my favorite perfumes.

I love the sets too! I moved in June and still haven’t unpacked all my fragrances but Angels Share happens to be out, so I’ve been wearing that a lot and I really love it more each time! And Apple Brandy is amazing! @curlychiquita 

Diptyque's advent calendar is here.

From the Independent

We’ll be honest, our first reaction to the calendar was disappointment, especially considering the almost-£400 price tag. Diptyque is known for its candles, so to find 12 miniature (35g) candles – which the brand doesn’t actually sell separately – and one mini (70g) felt like a little bit of a let-down. We would have expected the last day to be a full-sized, 190g candle, but it isn’t.

However, after doing some more rooting around and properly considering the contents, that disappointment faded away. Not only is there an excellent selection of brand favourites (from baies to feu de bois, roses and ambre) but we also discovered that there’s around 12 hours of burn time in a 35g candle and 30 hours in a 70g, which then makes it seem like better value. Aside from the candles, there’s a selection of travel-size (10ml) fragrances (including philosykos, eau rose, doson and fleur de peau), a solid perfume, a body balm, a hand soap and a set of three Christmas decorations.

The candles this year are

• Étincelles - coffee, chocolate and wood fire
  • Sapin - mountain pine and mimosa
  • Neige  - heliotrope flowers and white musks

diptyque

@pocketvenus, I always spend a good amount of time just gazing staring at their advent calendar every year. Ahhhh. 😍 It looks like a lovely collection of beauties! 

o.beU8oxRHMNv

Abu Dhabi from Gallivant. Have been meaning to try this house. At least it's not another cheap oud!!

cypress, pink pepper, peppermint, rosemary, labdanum
clary sage, saffron, geranium, orris,
cedarwood, patchouli, leather, musk.

o.kvuvJSCsukz

Ego Stratis

Top notes: bergamot essence, lemon essence, mandarine essence

Heart: Calone (marine note), neroli essence, blueberry, peach

Base: musk, cedar essence, ambroxan

I don't know about this one as I'm not a fan of calone at all.

I definitely need to smell ego stratis! I feel like it will be a love or hate for me.

testing