Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@ChristalM, the cockatiel sounds like a good one. How’s the longevity on it?

@itsfi I would say it is pretty good. The sillage is nice and it last 4-5 hours on me, which is average for me.

@ChristalM, thank you. That is good wear time. Adding the scent to my list. 😊 

@ChristalM Wow thanks for the update - I should add Cockatiel to this Perfume news thread, I love mimosa!

I tried Sacred Scarab and will post more on it later. I'[m sorry it didn't work out! My guess is it's probably the green notes that are not sitting well with you. Galbanum in particular can be quite bitter and edgy. Oakmoss can also be dark and bitter. I have to say I'm quite impressed with it. It has a great vintage, chypre feel to it, much more traditional than the other Zoologists which, of the ones I've tried, have a super contemporary vibe. I was not expecting this at all. I think it's fantastic and very wearable if one is willing to read as vintage. It's like a look that distinctly of another time, like a corset or victory rolls for the hair.

I found a couple fragrances I like.

One is Terre d'Hermes Eau Privee. I believe it is intended for men but I think it is very unisex. It makes me think of water rushing beneath the melting ice on a sunny day and winter is ending. I saw that they are calling it "the heart of ice" so it's a bit funny it reminds me of the spring thaw. I dislike fresh/clean fragrances but the style of fresh to this one is more iced citrus than soap or green fresh.  If they bring out a travel size I will probably purchase this for myself.

The other is Diptyque Eau de Sens. Another fresh fragrance that has the fresh green, soap and powder done to the right amount. I dislike most soapy and green fragrance so I was surprised I like this very much.

@Margalee I looove the original Terre! Haven't smelled that flanker yet but would like to.

New unisex fragrance for Givenchy, MMW named for its CD, Matthew M. Williams.

o.qyPpqarnnCy

Top Notes: Guatemala Cardamom Essence
    Heart Notes: Palo Santo Accord
    Base Notes: USA Virginia and Morocco Atlas Cedar Wood, "Haïti*" Vetiver CO2 Extract, Iso E Super, Ambrox

I like the notes, spicy and super woody. If the ambrox isn't overkill this could be quite nice. The notes traditionally lean masculine but I don't put too much stock into that.

@pocketvenus that sounds absolutely delicious. I look forward to smelling this one!

More news on Malle's new scent. 

Uncut Gem includes an overdose of ambrocenide, a product by Symrise for which Maurice Roucel works. Ambrocenide is a very powerful and long-lasting amber-woody scent that amplifies top citrus notes, gives volume to florals, and boosts musks.

I don't know what to make of this. I will definitely try it but I'm kind of surprized. All the copy says this scent is bucking a trend of "feminized" masculine fragrances. I don't really see that at all. There have been a slew of aggressive, over the top woody ambers in recent years. Also, to be honest, the name Uncut Gem kind of sounds like a Tom Ford name to me. Seems like Estee Lauder may be really starting to apply pressure to Malle, maybe in response to the economy. I hope that's not the case.

spicy fresh top  –  ginger, bergamot, mandarin, angelica root and nutmeg

fiery heart  –  a leathery accord, vetiver, frankincense

sexy warm and clean base  –  generous amounts of amber and musk

A couple more fragrances releases today

Malle is releasing a new fragrance by Maurice Roucel. I cannot wait to try it, Malle doesn't have a really leathery scent. I would love a leather from Malle and a jasmine.

There was something not only cool, technically – especially that mad overdose of ambrocenide – but completely irresistible,” says Malle. “With a lot of fresh naturals, and musk, it was not only magnetic, but chic.” Clear spicy top notes of ginger, bergamot, mandarin, angelica root and nutmeg lead you to the fire within: a leathery accord, vetiver, frankincense, generous amounts of amber, and a musk that vibrates with the skin. A muscular corollary, in a sense, to the classic Musc Ravageur.

The result is both straightforward and enigmatic: raw sex appeal gives way to a lingering subtlety. The result somehow renders the smell of skin deeper, warmer, cleaner. Uncut Gem is a study in contrasts. It’s rugged and sensitive, classic and fresh, first impression and haunting echo.

frederic-malle-uncut-gem-s

So Byredo is releasing perfumes as NFTs in Facebook's Metaverse? I honestly don't understand how this works but these will be “digital and physical scents,” a combination of 26 ingredients that represent different emotions, are packaged in bottles with near-field communication (NFC) tags that connect to NFTs. Each customized perfume will be launched as a digital collectible in limited quantities. I guess they don't smell like anything???

@pocketvenus I read this week that DS & Durga is also doing NFT perfume and I was just like 🤨

@Mochapj I just googled NFT perfumes and I still don't understand ha ha. I think for Byredo, a customer creates the formula, an actual real bottle of perfume is created but you only have digital ownership, it's not like they ship anything to you?? Are you just supposed to imagine it, so bizarre.

Commodity direct has 15% off full-size purchase.

Code:  FATHERS15

June 7 - 14, 2022, 11:59 PM

1x use

New scent from Floraiku, And Your Lips which the copy seems to indicate is a feminine take on a fougere

53E69324-C6A2-4798-9FFB-8EF415FB86DE.jpeg

And Your Lips transforms the fern accord, traditionally associated with masculine fragrances, into a feminine version, appreciated for its freshness and invigorating quality. A passage, like the exchange of a delicate kiss, for more sensuality and softness. By playing on the presence of the ingredients that structure this aromatic accord, the fragrance gains in florality and fullness. Bergamot, lavender and clary sage are well represented in the top note, surprised by a jujube accord, this fruit from the Himalayas with a taste of apple and date. At the heart of the fragrance, the classic geranium elegantly gives way to an Egyptian jasmine absolute of responsible origin and a Turkish rose absolute. An ultra-feminine duo. Finally, the moss accord, Madagascar vanilla absolute and musk envelop the composition with charm. From masculine to feminine, the formula blossoms; from one to the other, an understanding, a possible and completed path.

I love this bottle to And Your Lips. Not a bad description either.

@Mochapj  Ohhhhhhh!!!!  That’s a beautiful bottle!!  I’ve recently been disappointed by Nest Madascar  vanilla (I’m still hoping that I warm up to it) and here I am contemplating something seemingly similar cause of the bottle.  

Diptyque has released a home cleaning line. The scent, La Droguerie, features orange blossom, mandarin and basil. I LOVE the combination of neroli and basil 🙂

la-droguerie-cleaning-products-1654540689

Jo Malone is also expanding into the home space with its new The Night Collection. Includes products like pillow mist using two scents, Lavender & Moonflower and Moonlit Camomile.

o.4Yeve0HpEOw

Hermes will be releasing Eau de Basilic Pourpre by Christine Nagel. It is inspired by a basil display at a farmer's market. In addition to the basil, the notes include bergamot, geranium, and a patchouli and spice base.

WhatsApp-Image-2022-05-25-at-2.25.59-PM

CDG's newest pebble, Zero, is by Fanny Ball. The unisex scent is rich with earthy and woodsy notes of bergamot, cedar, vetiver, musk and rose oxide. “Zero” is presented to the world as a “return to ground... The fragrance represents a radical expression of simplicity; a reset, the antithesis of excess."

header

LV keeps cranking out new releases with City of Stars and Fleur du Desert. They both sound like they would be pleasant and safe.

City

Top notes: blood orange, lemon, red mandarin, bergamot, lime
Middle notes: Tiare flowers
Base notes: sandalwood, powdery musk

Fleur

Notes: honey, cinnamon, jasmine, Centifolia rose, orange blossom, Assam oud, ambrox, ambrette seed

o.EDxHirn2d5I

Kilian came out with a new freshie, Kologne, Shield of Protection. By Calice Becker, Kologne takes a classic out to party. With luminous citrus notes throughout, Kologne, Shield of protection is a splash of freshness. The fragrance debuts with refreshing notes of green mandarin, bitter orange, and mint, leading into a heart of rosemary and neroli. A woodsy drydown is built around cedarwood, cashmeran, and a unique "sap" accord of green vegetal notes. Created as a shield of protection, it is a fragrance to spray around oneself like an aura of purity and vitality.

The "sap" sounds intriguing. Seeing more of this in fragrances, more greens and I'm into it.

o.TADekpmgLm3

Finally, one last one from JHAS Juliette Has a Gun Magnolia Bliss Eau de Parfum 3.3 oz / 100 mL eau de parfum spray 

It was a summer evening, one of those summers that stretch deliciously. A scent of Magnolia floated in the air as if to suspend time and dance in her long wild hair. Notes, sizzling like cicadas, escaped the turntable before mingling with the scent of bergamot and nectarines. With her wreath and bare feet, she looked like a muse of Janis Joplin. Her lips chattered eagerly at a Queen Claude. And my senses were turned upside down.

...opens with sparkling notes of bergamot, petitgrain, lemon, and ginger, offering a great dose of sunshine and fizziness, followed by a fruity touch of nectarines and greengage accords that make a flowery bouquet of magnolias, freesia, and peony more pleasurable and relaxing. Base notes of the fragrance include the warmth and comfort of ambroxan, musk, vanilla, and tonka beans.

Doesn't sound like my thing but will test if I come across it.

o.2wRRlFRm0GN

Those are some really nice pictures!!!! 😍

Anyone have a date for when the new Lancome Idole Nectar will be released in the US?  I heard that it should be this month and I saw that it's available already in Europe.

Sorry I've been away so long! There have been many new releases in my absence. For now I'll post the ones I'm most excited about 🙂

Dusita's Montri

o.lU9aMn1Dw1x

Montri opens with a gentle cloud of spices (saffron, nutmeg, coriander, cinnamon, oregano) contrasted with the tonifying energy of petitgrain and the subtly gourmand character of the perfumer’s own dried fruit accord. In the heart, the deep, soulful beauty of orris butter meets the lush floralcy of may and Damask rose, jasmine sambac and ylang-ylang, along with the edgy undercurrent of a soft leather accord and tobacco accents. In the base, the precious oud palao shines in all its complex olfactive glory with emphasis on suavity, accompanied by patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, cedarwood, oakwood, and tonka bean.

Notes

Saffron, Nutmeg, Coriander, Cinnamon, Oregano, Petitgrain, Dried Fruit Accord, Orris Butter, May Rose, Damask Rose, Jasmine Sambac, Ylang Ylang, Leather Accord, Tobacco, Oud Palao, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Oakwood, Tonka Bean

Papillon's Hera

375x500.74286

Hera contains the following absolutes: jasmine, orange blossom, ambrette, rose de mai, Turkish rose, orris, narcissus and ylang. Along with heliotrope, clary sage, bergamot, vanilla, labdanum and musk, Hera is a celebratory bouquet of floral notes. It is altogether modern, but with a subtle nod to vintage fragrances of a bygone era--a creative style that perfumer and founder Liz Moores has become well known for.

Notes

Jasmine, Ylang, Orange Blossom, Rose de Mai, Orris, Narcissus, Heliotrope, Ambrette, Musk

@Mochapj I got to smell a few new fragrances in store today.  I will probably not purchase any of them but if I did it might be Yves Saint Laurent Mon Paris Eau de Toilette Lumiere . I don't care for the original much as it is a bit of a nose tweaker depending on how my allergies are flaring but this smelled wonderful. I'll have to get a sample first based on my sensitivity to the original. I tried Armani Beauty Terra di Gioia Eau de Parfum 1 oz/ 30 mL Eau de Parfum Spray on opening has a super 70's scent to it but it passes super quick. Like, it's the 70's! April Fools! The other two were Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium Illicit Green Eau de Parfum 2.5 oz/ 75 mL and Valentino Donna Born in Roma Coral Fantasy Eau de Parfum  Neither were terrible but I have so many perfumes and just got some others so these just didn't seem like stars of the show at first whiff. I can confirm Illicit Green is very vanilla and Coral Fantasy is very fruity.

testing