Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@ChristalM Love to hear what you think!

@pocketvenus Oh my this is beautiful. To my very  untrained nose, this is an initial blast of something very earthy and wet. Then it blooms into a very strong cedar. That is about it to me. I like it a lot but the dry down is not much different than JHGAG Sunny Side or Le Labo Santal 33. Both of which I have so not sure this is adding anything to my collection. 

@ChristalM Thanks for the review! I love cedar but am not a Santal 33. Lots of people love it though, would you say it's close enough to be a dupe?

@pocketvenus No I wouldn't call it a dupe exactly but similar enough if that makes sense? 🙂

@ChristalM Definitely makes sense!

Another Diptyque fragrance featured in its 60th anniversary release, Eau Rihla is available in the Middle East right now but will be made available internationally this summer.

From Fragrantica: … accord of worn leather mixes with notes of cedar wood and iris in the heart of the perfume composition. Spice bazaar - similar to those found by Ibn Battuta in distant lands - is depicted with notes of saffron, pink pepper and vanilla. Diptyque’s particular signature, an unusual combination of notes, appears as an energetic, sweet raspberry on top.

E5E650B8-90EE-4ED0-B86A-17391806C847.jpeg3F1E36FE-6A74-48E4-B991-63038FBBD7A8.jpeg

Early reviews liken it to TF Tuscan Leather so count me in!

@LCResz Wow, this sounds really good. I'm never been a huge Diptyque fan but I'm really impressed that while other houses have been churning out dreck and going downhill, Diptyque has really been holding the line, not resting on their laurels.

In niche releases

31422.jpg_width=400&404=product

A Tauer release, Cologne du Maghreb

Notes: Citrus accord, cistus, ambreine, cedarwood, java vetiver oil, bergamot, lemon, neroli, orange blossom, lavender, rosemary, rose absolute, rose essential oil, clary sage

746011.jpg_width=400&404=product

New Dusita, a muguet. I love this house, working through a backlog of samples and would really love to smell the this modern take on lily of the valley. I think the nose will handle this flower very well.

Notes: Calabrian Bergamot, Chinese Litsea Cubeba, Paraguayan Petitgrain, Muguet Accord, Tea Rose Accord, Egyptian Tuberose, Jasmine Grandiflorum, Indonesian Ylang-Ylang, Indian Ambrette, Siamese Wood, Madagascar Vanilla

Proportion-11_1200x

Proportion Series by Libertine is down to its last few bottles. I missed the original round of samples which sold out very quickly. But I just ordered samples as I guess a few stray ones made their way onto the website. This is a fantastic house, I can't wait to try them.

Hi!  I had a full size of the shisedo noir in the 80’s.

I loved the staying power of this scent.  Many of the perfumes today are gagging me with vanilla and alcohol.

would love to grab some good ones for a change! Hope you like it!

New from Dyptique, Ilio

scents of prickly pear, bergamot, iris and jasmine

5B2743BE-FEB9-4F8E-98A5-21BB027FBA01.jpeg

For the rose fans, looks like Tom Ford is working on a few new rose scents...

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 6.48.29 PM.png

@Mochapj Glad to see he's returning to non-gimmicky names! Looking forward to trying these 🌹

@pocketvenus I’ll be curious to see if Rose de Chine is some sort of rework of the old Fleur de Chine.

I can’t see a scenario where it wouldn’t be, but I guess you never know.

@Mochapj I hadn't thought of that! Maybe it will be like Tuscan Leather-Ombre Leather

Some new lines from fashion labels are being released.

MCM Signature Fragrance

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F6%2Ffiles%2F2021%2F05%2Fmcm-worldwide-signature-fragrance-eau-de-parfum-perfume-price-where-to-buy-1

Infused with top notes of raspberry and apricot, this fragrance is ideal for those who love their sweet scents. Elsewhere, hand-picked jasmine is refined with clean woods and sheer Ambrox° Super. As a result, the perfume comes with a floral woody aroma. Other ingredients include white peony, violet leaf, white moss, vanilla and sandalwood.

I love cute tiny bags but not for a perfume bottle. The scent also sounds like a generic fruity floral.

La Perla has come out with a signature scent and a whole "haute perfumerie" line.

o.104423o.104436

The pyramid of Signature is 

Top notes: citruses, violet leaves, neroli, mandarin orange
Middle notes: absolut jasmine sambac Orpur®, nectarine
Base notes: vetiver Orpur®, cedarwood, woodsy notes

I'd post the rest but to be honest, I don't see anything special worth sharing. I'm getting tired of houses launching half a dozen scents all at once, all of them sounding rather safe and commercial.

On that note, Miu Miu has released four scents in a line called Les Eaux à La Mode. They look very pretty and sound very commercial. Sorry, I don't meant to suggest these are bad fragrances. I'm just bored 😛

o.104457o.104461

@pocketvenus - I love the La Perla bottles (both pics)!  I also love the Miu Miu perfume cylinder with the cats!  💖💖💖

@Titian06 My exact same thoughts too !

@Titian06 Yes, the Miu Miu bottles are both stylish and playful, just like the fashion!

DS&Durga has an LE release, Magnolia City

E1345WgVcAEMYlw

Top Notes:
lemon, galbanum, moss phlox

Heart Notes:  
magnolia brooklynesis, weedy orchid, daffodil

Base Notes:
white musk, saucer magnolia, cherrywood

I have mixed feelings about this house. The scents I've tried all seem to rely on a similar structure but admittedly, I have not tried even half of their fragrances. The ones I have though are very similar in the dry down.

I have a handful of scents from this house. The 4 I have bottles of (Debaser, Spirit Lamp, Spirit of the Glen, Lilac City) are all pretty distinct but when I’ve purchased sample decants in the past I’ve definitely noticed they favour certain notes in a lot of their perfumes.

while I like the idea of their ‘Studio Juice’ concept, I wish it was a little more experimental than it has been thus far. That said. Lilac City is one of my favourite scents in my entire collection and I’m still mad that they only made it as an LE 🤣

@Mochapj yes, I didn't mean to imply "studio juice" is an inherent negative and of course, other houses have their "house formula" too. If one really likes the dry down, that's a huge bonus, not a detraction from the house.

I found the DS&Durga style works really, really well with more of the warmer, smoky and woody scents like Mississippi Medicine or Bowmakers but I found it a little out of place for say, something like Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake which was supposed to feel chilly and stony. This isn't to say PGMSBL is a bad fragrance, only the dry down gave me the opposite vibe of what's in the copy.

I just looked up Lilac City, love how they did the notes pyramid!! 

3 Replies
testing