Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

NOSE-V2

There's a new documentary coming out called "Nose,” featuring François Demachy, the perfumer-creator at Parfums Christian Dior since 2006. The film, which runs about 70 minutes and was produced by Arthur de Kersauson and Clément Beauvais, took about two years to make.

In the U.S., this documentary is to be available on demand on Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video and Google Play starting Feb. 22.

It looks like a super long advertisement for Dior to me, but I'm going to try to watch it anyway! Hopefully it will be released in Canada around the same time!

@pocketvenus Oh thanks! I will keep an eye out. i hope it comes to Canada as well!

New Byredo ‘Mixed Emotions’ - black currant, mate, tea, violet leaf, birch, papyrus 

5D860F64-6145-4F35-A386-CDF2BF1A814F.png

@Mochapj This one sounds interesting, and potentially very green or bitter! The description I've read is Drawing on the Byredo philosophy of translating fragmented memories and abstract ideas into scent, Mixed Emotions presents an olfactive sketch of our current, collective state of mind. Comforting notes of maté and the sharp sweetness of cassis sit within a wooden framework; the reassuring scent of black tea disturbed by violet leaf synthetics.

New Floraiku ‘Young At Heart’ watermelon, osmanthus, jasmine

FADEDC4C-5934-4F64-A890-FA9757BED9F8.jpeg

New fragrance from Serge Lutens; La Dompteuse Encagee - Frangipani Blossom Accord, Almond Notes, and Ylang-ylang.

B58B5EA2-9FA1-4B6E-B2C6-E1A337E45570.png

@Mochapj The ad copy for this house gets more and more dreamlike! Just as Joan of Arc, at her trial, could not swear to her judges whether her apparitions were clothed or naked, I cannot swear to it either. Her determination is like marble: cold and powdery white. Nonetheless, I sense the snow – so dreaded, yet desired – the avalanche is on its way. She provokes him by reminding him his injuries: All the screams you swallowed, and suffered in silence, will come pouring out! But they will barely be recognisable to themselves any more than to you, or perhaps in a past caught in the mirror, where you lose sight of yourself.

These are stressful times, clearly, but one thing that has brought me great (and surprising) peace is DS and Durga Mississippi Medicine. I grew up in the Northwoods, so it makes sense that the smells of bonfires and earth make me feel grounded and safe. Also, the scent is absolutely intoxicating, in general.   

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 10.23.46 PM.png

@MarciaBrady Scents have definitely brought me comfort this past year! I should break out my sample of this 🙂

I just got Gucci Gucci Flora Lavender Gorgeous Gardenia Eau de Toilette and I love it! So sad to see it says limited edition. I thought I finally found “my scent”. 
It’s flowery without being overpowering. My husband actually said he really liked it without any coaxing from me. 😂 That’s a big deal! 

So I’m a big dummy. I just realized the perfume itself isn’t limited edition, just the bottle is. Yay!!! 😁

@skfan70 Yay, no need to dragon hoard LE bottles 🙂

That's great, @skfan70 !  Don't worry, we've all made mistakes like that!  🤪

Lunar New Year packaging 🌛

So pretty!!So pretty!!Typical lucky red-ification for Lazy Sunday Morning.Typical lucky red-ification for Lazy Sunday Morning.Um, I think they just added a red cap?? Kind of awkward, like you couldn't have changed the bottle to match?Um, I think they just added a red cap?? Kind of awkward, like you couldn't have changed the bottle to match?Scented lipstick, gorgeous packagingScented lipstick, gorgeous packaging

@pocketvenus @blackkitty2014 I managed to re-try my sample of Tubereuse Nue today and it's a good thing that I did because it diverged pretty significantly from what I got out of it yesterday over top of my body lotion.

When I first sprayed it, before it even hit my skin I got an intense blast of peppery spice. Not necessarily what I would consider Sichuan peppercorns, it was more like the aroma of cloves and allspice. There was also a powdery undertone to it and the combination was pleasant and unexpected and reminded me of Caribbean Christmas cake. This lasted for around 15-20 minutes. 

Then, a rather pungent medicinal aroma began to emerge, reminiscent of the scent that wafts off old fashioned fabric bandages. This combined with a very heavy suede which together lasted for hours. There was a slight, soapy facet but it increased later.

Once it finally began to mellow out, it became creamy, increasingly soapy but also a little musty. When the tuberose showed up it was a very bubble-gum-y kind and mixed with the vanilla/tonka notes it was almost too sweet. By the time it settled, it was pretty inoffensive white floral mix. 

I don't think I'll be picking this one up. I'm not a white floral kind of girl but also, this perfume is too much of a rollercoaster. There were parts I truly enjoyed (the beginning was so unexpected) but also parts I loathed (the middle was so strong as to be nearly headache-inducing and lasted way too long). The vanilla sweetness is becoming too familiar in TF fragrances of late and tips it closer towards candy when mixed with the bubble gum notes of tuberose that they selected. Overall, not my cup of tea.

If either of you try this, please let me know what you think.

@Mochapj Thanks for this detailed and thoughtful review! I read someone comparing this to Tubereuse Criminelle on Fragrantica and I'm guessing it's because they share that medicinal edge? I also wonder if that is where some of the oud comes in, which can also smell like bandages. I am definitely interested in trying this and will tag you with any thoughts. This is the first TF release that's really interested me in awhile, although bubble gum is not really my thing.

Thx you @Mochapj for writing such a detailed review. I love white floral but I’m not big when the peppery spice is dominant. Peppery scent refuses to place nice on my skin. This one won’t be blind but for sure. 😘❤️💕🌹

Looks like MMM has a new Replica scent coming; Matcha Meditation

3149437E-E604-4315-9594-3F3456E6A73D.png

BC63785B-0908-41D1-B3AA-DB8E593D11D2.jpeg

@Mochapj Mmm I like the sound of this one. 

@Mochapj  Found some info on this one:

Matcha Meditation was developed by perfumer Maurice Roucel, who was inspired by the soothing aspect of the matcha tea ceremony.

I was there until white chocolate. Not a fan of it but if it's sweet or nougatty, that could contrast in an interesting way with the bitterness of matcha?

@pocketvenus I’m with you on that, I’m not crazy about the white chocolate either. I wonder if they want it to give a buttery sort of quality to the perfume. aside from creamy, that’s what white chocolate always makes me think of. 

testing